Ok, maybe I just a dumb truck driver but..............

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here's what happened. Tell me what you think.

This morning I got a call from another driver asking me to take care of a pick up. I agreed to do this because I was really light today and the other driver was pretty heavy. The pickup was a local winery and they were heavy (30 pkgs) and the other driver didn't have room to pick them up this morning.

Early this afternoon I received an ODS from the office confirming that I was doing the pick up. I confirmed and asked for the pick up to be sent to me. Come to find out the driver had already closed the pick up this morning and the office was unable to send the pick up to me. So now I am doing a pick up that is off my rte (and out of my way) and I don't get credit for the stop. I sent my OC a text saying that it wasn't right that I didn't get credit for the pick up stop and that I wouldn't be volunteering anymore. I sent the same message (via ODS) to the office adding "don't bother asking".

This prompted an immediate call from my OC asking why I was texting this crap to him and to the office. He proceeded to tell me that it made absolutely no difference if I got credit for the pick up stop as I would still get credit for the piece count in prepaids.

It is my contention that prepaids do not justify the miles I went out of my way to pick this stop up. By justify I mean there is no actual pick up record (with a physical address) of me going and I didn't get credit for the stop. The only record is in the prepaids. My OC said that there is no difference in allowances.

What say you?

over9five

Staff member
I do know that.

I think you did the right thing helping that driver out! But you are sooooo over-thinking it. You got paid to do it, and your boss knows you did it. All is good, don't worry about their report.

island1fox

Dill,
I am not piling on but agree with the do not worry about responses. I would also like to state that I believe you are an exceptional driver and person. You not only helped a fellow driver which is fantastic(I know wine is not light I drink enough of it) but you do care about "their" reports --you strike me as a hard worker and I hope your center appreciates you --the drivers and the management. For me personally I an happy that you are a UPS er!!! It is people like you that have made and will keep the Company great. Thank you.:happy2:

P.S. You are far from being just a "dumb driver"

ddomino

Put it in as an unscheduled pick up or an ODS pu. They say you get no credit for unscheduled, but it adds into your totals in your time card, and they could remove or disable it and they have not, so I think you still do get credit. If not it will still show as you doing it, so that would cover you for those miles, and why you were over there.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I do know that.

I think you did the right thing helping that driver out! But you are sooooo over-thinking it. You got paid to do it, and your boss knows you did it. All is good, don't worry about their report.

Bingo.
I laugh every time I hear somebody claim that they "didn't get credit".
Sorry Dilli, I think you were trippin'.
Reality has you likely getting credit to the tune of about $20 or more.

tracker2762

Getting credit for one more pickup will not added that much to your dispatch, the miles and the pieces will.
You mentioned that the other driver stop completed the pickup, did he pick anything up or just take credit for a pickup he didn't pickup?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Put it in as an unscheduled pick up or an ODS pu. They say you get no credit for unscheduled, but it adds into your totals in your time card, and they could remove or disable it and they have not, so I think you still do get credit. If not it will still show as you doing it, so that would cover you for those miles, and why you were over there.
Not allowed to do unscheduled pick ups anymore under threat of warning letters.:dissapointed:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Getting credit for one more pickup will not added that much to your dispatch, the miles and the pieces will.
You mentioned that the other driver stop completed the pickup, did he pick anything up or just take credit for a pickup he didn't pickup?
The other driver just closed it, did not pick up anything as there was no room on the truck.

browniehound

Dill, I have to agree with the majority here and say you are over-thinking it. However, your center team should be please with you for a couple of reasons. One, you helped out and are not totally out there for yourself. Second, by asking for the stop you showed your superiors you care about your percieved performance. I think it rubs them the wrong way if you show an attitude like "I could care less about the larger picture and the rest of the center".

Lastly, I think its all good because you got credit in the area that matters most-hours worked. As long as you can explain it when it doesn't show up on paper, your good to go.

Re-Raise

You probably made more money typing the messages to the center telling them that you wanted credit for the stop than you would if they gave you credit for the stop.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There is an option where 2 drivers can make the same pickup. Instead of sending you the actual pickup from the other drivers board they can send a copy and the original stays in his board. I'm not sure if this feature still works after the original pickup is stop completed.

DS

Fenderbender
They could have sent it to you as an On Demand.
This is what she asked them to do and they did not do it.
I would have gone into the ods and added it there instead of unscheduled.
Its much more specific and asks for the company name.
type in 1111 into the pickup number .
I have done it when I get no response in situations like this.
They can verify it with gps,and its totally honest.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As long as the customer gets the service that they are paying for and I get correctly paid for all hours worked, I could care less if or how I get any "credit" for the stop.

Open door, grab packages, put packages in truck, close door, done. The rest is just administrative mumbo-jumbo for some bean counter to fret over.