Ok, maybe I just a dumb truck driver but..............

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As long as the customer gets the service that they are paying for and I get correctly paid for all hours worked, I could care less if or how I get any "credit" for the stop.

Open door, grab packages, put packages in truck, close door, done. The rest is just administrative mumbo-jumbo for some bean counter to fret over.

Making bean counter happy > making customer happy, didn't you get the memo?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So everyone is saying, "It's much ado about nothing.". Not really what I was expecting but I'll accept it. :happy2: Thanks guys.

It just seems to me that with everything they are trying to take away from us, it's not right taking away stops too. What's next? We aren't allowed to use unscheduled pick ups anymore under threat of warning letters. If I have a misload I have to sheet it regardless if I deliver it or not under threat of warning letters. It makes no sense to me to not sheet a pick up. Ya, I know, it went under prepaids. Oh well, just a thought.

CustomerConcern

Sorry Dill, but I just went through this same fight with my office team (ended up with a warning letter for losing my cool) but yeah you are screwed as far as the plan goes you just get the pkg count not the time allotment anymore, then they will turn around and question your over allowed. Helping is great, and thats what we should do. I don't think you 'over-thought' this at all but its just another way they've learned to screw us.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sorry Dill, but I just went through this same fight with my office team (ended up with a warning letter for losing my cool) but yeah you are screwed as far as the plan goes you just get the pkg count not the time allotment anymore, then they will turn around and question your over allowed. Helping is great, and thats what we should do. I don't think you 'over-thought' this at all but its just another way they've learned to screw us.
At least I have on my side not being over-allowed on this rte. Generally I run about a half hour under. :happy2:

hypocrisy

Banned
In Feeders they would have sent 3 of us to cover the same pickup and we'd all get paid.

No reports to worry about and WAD is our favorite thing to hear.
(well they have reports I'm sure, but we never see them)

Only credit that should matter is what's on your paycheck stub.

DorkHead

Dill,
I am not piling on but agree with the do not worry about responses. I would also like to state that I believe you are an exceptional driver and person. You not only helped a fellow driver which is fantastic(I know wine is not light I drink enough of it) but you do care about "their" reports --you strike me as a hard worker and I hope your center appreciates you --the drivers and the management. For me personally I an happy that you are a UPS er!!! It is people like you that have made and will keep the Company great. Thank you.:happy2:

P.S. You are far from being just a "dumb driver"[/QUOTE

Dill, I think this guy is hitting on you!

Dilli, up to a certain point in my driving days I was like you. If they were going to have pissy fits over my over/under allowed, then by damn give me time allowances for EVERYTHING I do. Then at some point I came to the conclusion that they did not intend for me to actually run under, but for me to TRY to run under. That's when I stopped worrying about the reports, that were so tweaked, meal time had to be skipped to make the numbers. However with some of the things we have read about on here with drivers being disciplined for lack of production I can see why a current driver still needs to cover their own ass to stay "alive".
Just don't let 'em get to ya. Just work as directed and let them answer the questions.

Oh, and I think Dorkhead is afraid of Island beatin' his time.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ok, maybe I just a dumb truck driver but..............
AS you relax on the couch, why would you think you are a dumb truck driver? Dil, you are a lot of things, but none involve dumb.

One thing that I find interesting is that while Dil did not get credit for the picked up stop, no one has mentioned the other driver. It would seem, by the post, that we have a driver that at the beginning of his day knows he will not be picking up a stop. He has no intention of doing so. And it was confirmed by the center that our sweet Dil was making the pickup. But yet he closed it out? And he counted it as a pick up, while not picking up anything? It would seem that the driver is a bit unethical? At our center, they would call it dishonest, and the driver at best would be suspended or terminated. Its falsification if you show you made a pick up, and picked up nothing.

As far as the rest, dil I must agree with the others. Over and under are a benchmark used by UPS. And while useful in comparing one day to the next, beyond that it is worthless to the driver. Do your job to the best of your ability, work as a team, and work safe. That is all that UPS can ask of its employees.

d

island1fox

trpinkl,
Dorkhead has nothing to worry about. While I like to look at and associate with the opposite sex as much as any man, I married the LOVE of my life thirty years ago.
I believe that I am one of the "lucky" ones and could not picture my life without my beautiful wife and much better half. I hope there are many others on the cafe that have experienced and are living this kind of relationship. As we grow older together the only thing I fear in Life is when death may for a short time seperate us. Although this painful thought will someday be a reality it makes any other problem you encounter in life whether at home or at work seem rather small and trvial !!!:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Island, lead on. I too have had the greatest pleasure of a wonderful wife, and this year will be 32 years. I can not imagine life or love without her.

I have also seen the other side. When my brother lose his wife to cancer. And my father as well when he lost my mother. And each day, as at times I go with my wife to visit hospice patients, I see the reality of the fear you expressed. IT is coming, not if, but when. For some, a lot sooner than for others. I know I sound like a broken record, but never ever neglect telling your spouse you love them. And your kids too. But especially your spouse. And do things to show you love them. Talk is cheap without the meaningful things we do in life for the other one. And dont forget to say you are sorry when you screw up. Leave work at work. Check the attitude and stress level when you get home.

Sorry dil for sidetracking your thread, but Island started it. ;)

d

whiskey

At least I have on my side not being over-allowed on this rte. Generally I run about a half hour under. :happy2:

I run an hour or more over every day. But, I'm on your side. Give credit where credit is due. And don't let this one incident deter you from helping a fellow driver in the future.
Hey, four cows perished in a barn collapse in Maine today. So, things could be a lot worse.

over9five

Staff member
trpinkl,
Dorkhead has nothing to worry about. While I like to look at and associate with the opposite sex as much as any man, I married the LOVE of my life thirty years ago.
I believe that I am one of the "lucky" ones and could not picture my life without my beautiful wife and much better half. I hope there are many others on the cafe that have experienced and are living this kind of relationship. As we grow older together the only thing I fear in Life is when death may for a short time seperate us. Although this painful thought will someday be a reality it makes any other problem you encounter in life whether at home or at work seem rather small and trvial !!!:wink2:

Wow. She has to be looking over your shoulder, right?

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Here's what happened. Tell me what you think.

This morning I got a call from another driver asking me to take care of a pick up. I agreed to do this because I was really light today and the other driver was pretty heavy. The pickup was a local winery and they were heavy (30 pkgs) and the other driver didn't have room to pick them up this morning.

Early this afternoon I received an ODS from the office confirming that I was doing the pick up. I confirmed and asked for the pick up to be sent to me. Come to find out the driver had already closed the pick up this morning and the office was unable to send the pick up to me. So now I am doing a pick up that is off my rte (and out of my way) and I don't get credit for the stop. I sent my OC a text saying that it wasn't right that I didn't get credit for the pick up stop and that I wouldn't be volunteering anymore. I sent the same message (via ODS) to the office adding "don't bother asking".

This prompted an immediate call from my OC asking why I was texting this crap to him and to the office. He proceeded to tell me that it made absolutely no difference if I got credit for the pick up stop as I would still get credit for the piece count in prepaids.

It is my contention that prepaids do not justify the miles I went out of my way to pick this stop up. By justify I mean there is no actual pick up record (with a physical address) of me going and I didn't get credit for the stop. The only record is in the prepaids. My OC said that there is no difference in allowances.

What say you?

Well believe it or not your center could have done a lot better.

They can send you (copy) the pick-up even if the other driver has stop completed it. You cannot move the ODS pickup from one board to another.
I have done this several times since the upgrade last year. If any sups out there doubt this, do a test tomorrow.

Dill appreciate the hard work let the center team worry about it if they do want you to get the proper credit.