Ok Ok I got one! What are car parkers suppose to get paid?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm a car parker in Spokane. So far as I know, we are the only building that has people who just car park. For as long as I could remember, they were giving us utility wage for car parking. Someone decided that we made to much money and knocked us down to hub wage. The problem is, we are not really represented in the contract that we could find. The closest thing we are is car washers, but they are all full time. Me and the other guys are part time. If there's anyone else who is a part time car parker let me know if you make utility or regular or whatever. I only lost maybe a dollar an hour, but some of the guys lost like 5 or 6 bucks an hour. I figured there should be a past practice grievance, but it hasn't gone anywhere. According to my BA and my steward, we don't have a leg to stand on, cause apparently we never should have gotten utility. Don't know how to classify us or how to pay us. Any thoughts?

hungrydude5

Our car washER is not even company, neither is 2 out of our 5 OMS office clerks, they are through a temp agency. No benefits, no pay raises, no union, no vaca-sick-personal, nada. And our car washer is the hardest worker we have. 50 in the fleet by himself and has to do it in 4 hours, not an easy task as he has to set up the building lineup for the morning too in a very very small building.

sortaisle

no no no no no....I get all of this, I just posted for the benefit of the guys who lost 6 bucks an hour. And I agree with IDoLess about the backpay. I was just curious if there was anyone else. Over here in Spokane the car shifters (as we are called) just park. We have an outside service that washes, but they don't park. It's kind of a stupid setup as I'm sure that washing cars is a union job since they are represented in the contract. Anyway, I can see at least we're not the only building that has the parkers who are getting paid hub wage. Thanks for the replies.

rod

Retired 22 years
The car parkers/ car washers at my old center made it a contest every night to park them so the drivers in the morning had to study them to see which one had to be pulled out first in order to get the 2nd one out. Their trick was to park them close enough that when one was loaded it had settled down onto the side rail of the one along side of it. It made for some really nice scratches if you guessed the wrong one to move. There were many days the center manager or sups would just say plug your ears and get out of the building.:peaceful:

sortaisle

The car parkers/ car washers at my old center made it a contest every night to park them so the drivers in the morning had to study them to see which one had to be pulled out first in order to get the 2nd one out. Their trick was to park them close enough that when one was loaded it had settled down onto the side rail of the one along side of it. It made for some really nice scratches if you guessed the wrong one to move. There were many days the center manager or sups would just say plug your ears and get out of the building.:peaceful:

That's brutality in the worst way...and yet it's awesome! The worst we do is interlock the mirrors.

evilleace

Thats hilarious but I don't know how they would get them any closer than in my center can't even walk in between them.

evilleace

Sort aisle I assume you would get the same pay as the pt inside workers since that is what you are, but I do think you should get skill pay which is $1.00 more an hour for preloaders and such and I think you would be included in that.

evilleace

Really I am not sure drewed all I have ever been told is that skilled positions are paid $1 more an hr. I assume car parker would be a skilled position. Anyone know if it is just sort pay or skill pay for sure?

Last edited:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

It's skilled and unskilled in the contract.

Unfortunately there's no language to back ( that I know of) this regarding part-time positioners.

In the buildings I've worked in, preloaders get the $1 for skilled pay. This is not a "sort" position, therefoer I don't see how the language would include the word "sort" pay.

Now interestingly, our hub has many "vehicle positioners". This is interesting I say because they are all 22.3 and all the "skilled' halves of their jobs. The other halves are just hub, hub-sort, etc. I can easily get you information on these bids.

Vehicle positioners ( at least I believe it's he same classification as the thread author describes) are skilled positions in our hub.

Last edited:

brownrodster

Over here in Spokane the car shifters (as we are called) just park. We have an outside service that washes, but they don't park.

I'm on the west side of the mountains from you. We do indeed have part time "shifters" that get paid utility driver wages. However, those "shifters" operate big trucks and shift out trailers to be loaded/unloaded. Our Package car "parkers" are called "fuelers" and they shift the package cars and fuel them - they get paid part time wage. There is "shifter" language in our supplement, however it only applies to someone who has been trained to drive the truck and trailers on property.