Old Dogs, Old Hanger On'ers

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Met a guy at lunch today I started with 42 years ago.
He is still working as a friend/T Inside in the small sort with 42 years in.
No plans to retire anytime soon.

We made plans to get together and discuss old times at lunch.

Any other stories like this?
Feeling like you wanna go back? Maybe during peak I'll let you be my helper.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have 22 years in and I'm not sure I'm leaving anytime soon.

Back during peak a cover driver was talking about someone being there a long time and I heard him make the comment, "Cementups will still be here when he's 65. Won't you, Cementups?" I told him, I very well could be but I can almost guarantee you I will be in feeders or have a much easier job than hustling packages out of a package car when I'm that old.
I now that when I'm that old that I will still need to work. Not for the money but for something to do. And if you need something to do, you may as well make a buttload of money doing it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Small Sort crew:
midgets.jpg

Rain Shield

I can not figure out why a part timer with more than 35 years and over the age of 55 would still work.

We have one at my hub. He is toped out on pension and could get the insurance for a monthly fee.

Heck, he is working for less than $10.00 per hour if you look at what he could be making sitting at home.

Not jealous, the math just does not work for me.

raceanoncr

To each his/her own, I guess.

Me? As I've said before and voice to others still working: "I've got too much to do in my life and this work just got in the way".

Almost 5 yrs into being gone, I still ain't got everything done yet. If I'd been working, I'd be FURTHER behind. Nope, keep working at a job just wasn't in my long-time future.

clean hairy

I know of one who was going to retire 3 years or so ago.
Then, thier spouse got quite ill and passed away.
For this individual, retiring and spending all day every day alone did not appear to be a very good option, so kept working having something to keep them occupied.