Old Time UPS.

navigator

I had a 1947 GMC to deliver downtown Minneapolis in 1964. I lost three fur coats because we did not lock up. On Xmas eve day upon returning to center we had food and plenty of liquor to make drinks after punching out. this all ended in 1966

ol'browneye

I remember doing driver follow-ups back in the 80's that were over a year old!

I believe 038-598 was L.L. Bean

JC Penney was 692-723 and I don't think it has changed here

Splinters under the fingernails from the wooden shelves

$3-4000 cash from cod's

Filling in your DR locations or duplicate shipper numbers while sitting at a stoplight-can't do that now, you will show up on some telematics report

Trying to keep those paper delivery records dry on a rainy day

Homemade cup holders made out of NDA envelopes taped to the dash and window

Old register tape pickup accounts

"Sheet-puller" pickup accounts

over9five

Staff member
How about Fur Call Tags.........what a pain in the %***.......

Ha, they sure were! I once opened a fur call box to put a customers coat in, and there was a fur collar in the box from last time it was used! I didn't know what to do so I left it in there.

I had a 1947 GMC to deliver downtown Minneapolis in 1964. I lost three fur coats because we did not lock up.

We finally convinced management to treat them as high values.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had a Fur Call Tag a couple of years ago, which is rare a round here. The customer will ship their fur coat off so it can be stored in a cooler during the summer. I remember we had a telephone exchange program too, but that didn't last very long. If someone's phone broke, we would swap it out with a new one. Rate and Zone Charts, "Sheet Pullers", and registered accounts with the ascending and decending numbers that figured out their bill. Customer Service Reps who actually went out to visit customers and set up shipping accounts.

1080Driver

Another PITA was encyclopedia deliveries.....I started working in a rough area in Brooklyn, NY (no DR and plenty of 3rd & 4th floor walk ups).......seemed like once a week someone's aunt or Grandma would order a set of World Book or Encyclopedia Brittanica b/c they were sure their kid was gonna get out of the 'hood.

lastoasis

anybody remember the loud "bang" when shifting to 2nd and 4th in a P400 ?

the noise was from your elbow whacking the bulkhead door

Highwayman

Started in the late 80's on day trailer. When pickups had hand written books I think 10 packages per page,you had better sign every page in the book LEGIBLY for one pick up or you would hear about it the next day. friend model tractors, hand sheeted deliveries,lining up packages by shipper number to make hand sheeting easier,40 foot side roller trailers,no skids allowed,got on feeders, all doubles trailers were drop frames and single feeders were 40 foot drop frames. Jacking up the feeders on the unload. No stacks on the tractors, oh the burning of my eyes. No mufflers or A/C or power steering on the tractors,rust holes in the floors. The DIAD 1: looking for a phone to download your data,the portable printer for J.C. Penney in a suit case, they wanted a hard copy at the time of delivery. Now my tractor is a new Sterling with A/C,power steering,air ride cab,a stack and 455 H.P. What a difference 21 years makes!:happy2:

DS

Fenderbender
I remember my first winter,tons of snow,often my boots would be filled with snow and even though I just wanted to get it done,I HAD to take a break to dry my socks and boots.I had a Woolworths in my area(long gone)that made great burgers and had nice floor heaters that saved me from frostbite on many occasions.The wet delivery records,the peel off next day air stickers,the same skid movie they show today...the only good thing about those days is that you knew what you had when you left the building,nowadays with oncalls,every new day is a mystery.

1080Driver

How about the great steel handtrucks......alot heavier and smaller than todays aluminum ones.......if you came off a curb at an angle the cast iron wheel hub was history.

rod

Retired 22 years
How about the great steel handtrucks......alot heavier and smaller than todays aluminum ones.......if you came off a curb at an angle the cast iron wheel hub was history.

and it was always fun when the rubber came off one of the wheels.

tarbar66

I think that was one of the shipper numbers for New Process/ Blair out of Warren, Pa. . I loved that place as a feeder driver, quite a few hotties worked there. The cafeteria had 5 cent coffee and pop. It seemed that at least once a week there was a reason for a party and I would get an invitation.