Old TV shows

DS

Fenderbender
I thought it might me fun to reminisce about some of the shows we used to watch as kids.I realize that the age difference is rather vast here,but it should be entertaining nonetheless.I remember my next door neighbor asking me if I'd seen the new show "the Beverly hillbillies" when it was first aired in the early 60's. Man I'm old.

DS

Fenderbender
Does anyone remember this one? it ran for 2 seasons in 1965/66.

The man in question was Jason McCord (Chuck Connors) a West Point graduate and Cavalry Captain who was the sole survivor of the infamous Battle of Bitter Creek. Each episode began with McCord being dishonorably discharged from the service, his stripes and brass buttons removed and his sword broken in two, as an offscreen chorus sang a ballad, composed by Dominic Frontiere of Star Trek fame with lyrics by Alan Alch, explaining that McCord had been accused of cowardice and deserting his post under fire. In fact, observed the balladeers, "He was innocent. . .not a charge was true". As we would learn in the course of the series, McCord had been sent off on a secret mission during the Bitter Creek battle, and upon his return he found all his comrades dead--but try proving that to a board of inquiry! Once he'd been cashiered from the Cavalry in disgrace, McCord headed westward, taking various odd jobs (most of them linked with his past experience as a mapmaker and engineer), getting involved in the lives and problems of various strangers, and ever seeking a means to prove that he was not a coward. This proved rather difficult in that McCord met with hostility nearly everywhere he went: It seemed that virtually every person he came across had lost a brother, a father, a son, a husband or a second cousin twice removed at Bitter Creek (leading one to conclude that the battle was even bigger and more momentous than D-Day!) Latching onto to another mid-1960s trend, the espionage series, McCord occasionally went on covert missions at the behest of President Ulysses S. Grant, though the hush-hush circumstance precluded proving his innocence. And during the series' second season, McCord managed to rub shoulders with a number of real-life historical figures, including George Armstrong Custer, Horace Greeley and P.T.Barnum

moreluck

golden ticket member
Some of the shows I watched regularly......

Steve Allen on late night
I Love Lucy
Rin Tin Tin
Fury
Dobie Gillis
Carol Burnett Show
The Rifleman
Danny Thomas Show
Ozzie & Harriet

Yeah, I'm old......so what??!! :wink:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Oh those good old tv shows....

Number one...Ed Sullivan Show..I remember when the Beatles made their debut..

My Favorite Martian
Green Hornet with Kato
Petticoat Junction
Batman (starring Adam West)
Twilight Zone
The Wild Wild West
The Munsters

Too many too remember...those were the days!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
DS,
I remember watching "Branded". I also watched Bonanza, Lassie, Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show, Combat, Walt Disney.....too many to list. Saturday morning was the best though, in the early sixties it was Loony Tunes like Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig. I was and still am a Sci-Fi fan, I liked Star Trek, Time Tunnel, The Twilight Zone, shows like that. TV shows back then seemed to be better to me, they relied more on good plots and writing than just shock value like today. Those seemed like better times back then.

DS

Fenderbender
Bewiched
I dream of Jeannie
bonanza
man from UNCLE
rawhide
the saint
stingray
perry mason
gunsmoke
the red skelton show
wagon train
you are right blackbox,way too many...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My mother the car

Lawrence welk ( at grandma and grandpas)

Weirdo theatre on Sat nights.

Red Skelton

The honeymooners

Mr Ed

Dark Shadows.
Not in any order.

Andy of Maybery

Lassie

dillweed

Wow, what memories. I remember Branded now but would never have remembered the name of it without help.
Loved Bewitched, Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies and so many more.
Sea Hunt
Danial Boone Oh, he was so handsome!
friend-troop
Dark Shadows
Twilight Zone - Mom would hear the music from her sewing room and make me turn it off because I'd have nightmares!
Perry Mason
Night Gallery more nightmares
Alfred Hitchcock

It's not hard to catch some of these oldies on TV and I watch them whenever I can. What ever happened to TV that almost every network show contains violence, sex and death. What the heck are the kids going to think of the world? No problem solving examples, just shoot to kill.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I loved the old shows......however, when they run them now it's really hard for me to watch a black & white program .

I agree, the content was much richer then and made us think. What I found to be spooky years ago is not nearly as scary today.

The Twilight Zone that I had bad dreams about was the one where the person gets locked in a Department Store and has mannequins to deal with. I never liked the look of mannequin's eyes after that one. :sad:

area43

These might not be that old.

Good times
Sanford and son
Archie Bunker
The Waltons
Mash
Happy Days
Scooby Doo
Fat Albert
Sha zam
Land of the Lost
Brady Bunch
The Jefferson's
6 million dollar man(I thougt he was real)
Bionic woman

upsdude

The man in question was Jason McCord (Chuck Connors) a West Point graduate and Cavalry Captain who was the sole survivor of the infamous Battle of Bitter Creek. Each episode began with McCord being dishonorably discharged from the service, his stripes and brass buttons removed and his sword broken in two, as an offscreen chorus sang a ballad, composed by Dominic Frontiere of Star Trek fame with lyrics by Alan Alch, explaining that McCord had been accused of cowardice and deserting his post under fire. In fact, observed the balladeers, "He was innocent. . .not a charge was true". As we would learn in the course of the series, McCord had been sent off on a secret mission during the Bitter Creek battle, and upon his return he found all his comrades dead--but try proving that to a board of inquiry! Once he'd been cashiered from the Cavalry in disgrace, McCord headed westward, taking various odd jobs (most of them linked with his past experience as a mapmaker and engineer), getting involved in the lives and problems of various strangers, and ever seeking a means to prove that he was not a coward. This proved rather difficult in that McCord met with hostility nearly everywhere he went: It seemed that virtually every person he came across had lost a brother, a father, a son, a husband or a second cousin twice removed at Bitter Creek (leading one to conclude that the battle was even bigger and more momentous than D-Day!) Latching onto to another mid-1960s trend, the espionage series, McCord occasionally went on covert missions at the behest of President Ulysses S. Grant, though the hush-hush circumstance precluded proving his innocence. And during the series' second season, McCord managed to rub shoulders with a number of real-life historical figures, including George Armstrong Custer, Horace Greeley and P.T.Barnum

Branded!

satellitedriver

Do you remember the theme song for that show?
If you do, then sing along with the words we made up in 1965.

Stranded!!!,
stuck without a toilet roll.
What do you do when you are stranded
and you don't have a roll?
You must prove you're a man
and wipe with your hand,
when you're
Stranded.

If you can't play the music in your head, then this post will make no sense.
If you can, I hope it makes you laugh.

PAX

satellitedriver

Cool topic.
The Life of Reilly
The Dobie Gillis Show
The Bob Cummings Show
The Andy Griffith Show
The Ed Sullivan Show
The Arthur Godfrey Show
Candid Camera
Leave it to Beaver
My Favorite Martian (see my avatar)
The Real McCoys
The Flintstones(first animated primetime show)
My Three Son's
And many more...
PAX

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This topic brings back so many more memories....

The Three Stooges
Jhonny Quest
Gomer Pile USMC
American Bandstand
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Fugitive
Flipper
Gilligan's Island

and who can forget going to bed when the "Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" came on..........