Old UPS employee looking to talk/file complaint with union rep.

SLWDSM

Well, I'm pretty positive this isn't the best place for this, but really just hoping you guys can point me into the right direction. I no longer have information on how to contact the union, and this was actually the most promising site that popped up in my Google searches.

So here is my story for anyone interested... and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Years ago (approximately 7) I was a PT UPS union worker at a small hub. As "crappy" as the job was, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I was quite good at the work and was able to earn a premium position in the first 6 months on the job (was also able to work every position on the shift in the first year). Not trying to boast, but I was young (early 20s) and UPS was the first job that I had really taken seriously. I still look back and am quite proud of the work I performed while at UPS.

Unfortunately there was a pretty terrible situation that happened at the hub. Despite being quite oblivious and *completely* un-involved with the actions that got people in trouble (and to my knowledge prosecuted), the Loss Prevention Officer did not believe me and directly threatened action against me and my family until I resigned.

To be completely honest, I was young, stupid, and extremely scared. The threats he made (although likely empty threats in retrospect) were enough for me to think my job at UPS was not worth potential hardship and embarrassment that would be felt by me and my family despite me being innocent.

For what it is worth, I'm not trying to get something out of this. This bad event in my life actually set me on path to eventually continue my education. I'm proud to of completed my bachelors degree and to currently be working towards a graduate degree. I'm not sure I would of accomplished these things if I had been treated justly and fairly during the events that happened way back at UPS. While I understand that the LP officer has a hard job to perform, I still feel he performed his job poorly and most importantly, unethically.

Unfortunately its taken me way to long to actually pursue something I should of done years ago. It's not something I ever really dwell on, but I woke up in the middle of the night with this on my mind and felt the need to act right away... I'm currently taking a course on ethics and regulations, and I guess my professor is a lot better than I am give him credit for.

Hopefully someone can send me in the right direction so that I can share my story fully with a union representative, and potentially it will make a difference in how these situations are handled. I truly got the impression that this was a "normal day at the office" for the LP officer and I doubt his actions would be the "acceptable norm" for UPS and/or the Union.

rod

Retired 22 years
Well, I'm pretty positive this isn't the best place for this, but really just hoping you guys can point me into the right direction. I no longer have information on how to contact the union, and this was actually the most promising site that popped up in my Google searches.

So here is my story for anyone interested... and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Years ago (approximately 7) I was a PT UPS union worker at a small hub. As "crappy" as the job was, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I was quite good at the work and was able to earn a premium position in the first 6 months on the job (was also able to work every position on the shift in the first year). Not trying to boast, but I was young (early 20s) and UPS was the first job that I had really taken seriously. I still look back and am quite proud of the work I performed while at UPS.

Unfortunately there was a pretty terrible situation that happened at the hub. Despite being quite oblivious and *completely* un-involved with the actions that got people in trouble (and to my knowledge prosecuted), the Loss Prevention Officer did not believe me and directly threatened action against me and my family until I resigned.

To be completely honest, I was young, stupid, and extremely scared. The threats he made (although likely empty threats in retrospect) were enough for me to think my job at UPS was not worth potential hardship and embarrassment that would be felt by me and my family despite me being innocent.

For what it is worth, I'm not trying to get something out of this. This bad event in my life actually set me on path to eventually continue my education. I'm proud to of completed my bachelors degree and to currently be working towards a graduate degree. I'm not sure I would of accomplished these things if I had been treated justly and fairly during the events that happened way back at UPS. While I understand that the LP officer has a hard job to perform, I still feel he performed his job poorly and most importantly, unethically.

Unfortunately its taken me way to long to actually pursue something I should of done years ago. It's not something I ever really dwell on, but I woke up in the middle of the night with this on my mind and felt the need to act right away... I'm currently taking a course on ethics and regulations, and I guess my professor is a lot better than I am give him credit for.

Hopefully someone can send me in the right direction so that I can share my story fully with a union representative, and potentially it will make a difference in how these situations are handled. I truly got the impression that this was a "normal day at the office" for the LP officer and I doubt his actions would be the "acceptable norm" for UPS and/or the Union.

I hate to burst your bubble but there probably isn't an "acceptable norm" when it comes to Loss Prevention. They are known for their "unsavory" ways when going about their job. Alls fair when it comes to getting their man or woman---even if a few innocents get ran over. Ask a local UPS driver to get you a phone number for the Teamsters Union near you..Good luck

Inthegame

If you were innocent of wrongdoing you should not have resigned. Resigning shows acceptance on your part to terminate employment. You should have contacted your union representative at the time of the incident. Stay in school, further your education, you'll be better off in the long run.

705red

Browncafe Steward
OP, unfortunately there are time limts to pursue a potential grievance. Sounds like yor time would have past. Trust me when I say that the Union is already aware of some of the tactics that SOME loss prevention people use. They used your inexperience against you and I would almost quarantee that you did not have a steward present when you were asked to resign.

Move on and learn, Union employees have different rights than non Union.

anonymous4

I can't imagine any situation where I'd give up my job and livelihood over a rogue LP officer harassing me about something I didn't do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't imagine any situation where I'd give up my job and livelihood over a rogue LP officer harassing me about something I didn't do.

Put yourself in the OP's shoes for a moment. He was in his young 20's and this was his first real job. Had this happened after he had a few years under his belt the outcome would have been much different and he would be telling us about his 10 year anniversary with UPS.

working up a sweat

[h=2][/h][h=1]Weingarten Rights[/h]If this discussion could in any way lead to my being
disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working
conditions, I respectfully request that my union
representative, officer, or steward be present at this meeting.
Until my representative arrives, I choose not to participate in
this discussion.

stixx337

Awesome you completed and are continuing your education, Congrats!
There are no laws against bullies and this company uses this to disadvantage younger workers. Your only shot would have been a constructive discharge lawsuit if you could prove you were innocent and or show others similarly situated were treated differently.
Are you are a protected class (i.e. National origin, race, disability, whistleblower)? Identify what separates you and why he chose you. Study employment law topics to help you better understand your legal remedies in the future.
File a formal complaint through email, forwarding it to union BA, labor mgr, HR, LP Supervisor, Dept of Labor. Don't bcc anybody's email.
You never know, it could help somebody complaining about the same issue that is within time limits to take action against the same LP.
Most Importantly make sure your complaint is valid. Show how LP violated the law, policy, code of conduct, or contract.
End the complaint positively and ask for a remedy and for a response by a specific date.
Move on and close this chapter of your life. :cool:

Last edited: