Older Driver and Medicare A?

I am 66 and plan to keep driving a few more years as of now. I signed up for Medicare A today as prompted by other elders at UPS. My spouse says that now I lose my UPS insurance. I told her that the sign up process asked if I had other health plans and I put down UPS. Is she correct. I was told that Medicare A could be used to cover any co-pays

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am 66 and plan to keep driving a few more years as of now. I signed up for Medicare A today as prompted by other elders at UPS. My spouse says that now I lose my UPS insurance. I told her that the sign up process asked if I had other health plans and I put down UPS. Is she correct. I was told that Medicare A could be used to cover any co-pays
How long have you been driving?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When you sign up for medicare, teamcare drops you like a hot potato. I am still able to carry my wife for $200.00/month, making teamcare her secondary. Medicare then becomes my primary and it costs $104.00/month (part b) My wife still carries me on her insurance at work, which makes her insurance my secondary insurance, and I also receive dental, vision and prescriptions thru her insurance. Basically, I got a $96.00/month raise, and most everything stayed the same for me. Hope this helps.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sounds like you should have stayed w/Teamcare.
First of all, Dave, I didn't have any choice. Since I am disabled, you automatically go onto medicare 2 years after you go on disability. Most of my benefits are comparable, and several are even superior to teamcare's. Plus It costs me $104.00/ month as opposed to teamcare's $200.00/month, so it puts more money in my pocket every month. TTKU

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, Dave, I didn't have any choice. Since I am disabled, you automatically go onto medicare 2 years after you go on disability. Most of my benefits are comparable, and several are even superior to teamcare's. Plus It costs me $104.00/ month as opposed to teamcare's $200.00/month, so it puts more money in my pocket every month. TTKU

Wasn't referring to you.

Ms.PacMan

Stay on an employer's health care plan, and sign up for itemized parts of Medicare
Scenario #3

If your employer has 20 employees or more, you can remain on your employer's plan and enroll in Medicare Part A. You may delay enrolling in Medicare Part B and Medicare Part D. The following factors may determine if this is the right course of action for you:

• If money was being deducted from your paycheck for 10 years or more during your working life, you have probably earned premium-free Medicare Part A coverage.
  • You may enroll in premium-free Medicare Part A and delay enrollment in Medicare Part B. Paying the monthly premium for Medicare Part B may not be to your advantage. If you delay enrolling in Medicare Part B and/or Medicare Part D, special rules will apply to your right to enroll without paying late-enrollment penalties . When your situation changes and you want to enroll, make sure you know the rules and timeframes for special enrollment periods.
https://www.anthem.com/ca/health-in...ing-at-65-medicare-employer-health-insurance/

Give Teamcare a call.

twoweeled

I'll tell you Captain. This whole medicare thing is SO confusing. I'm retired, my wife has already signed up for part A, (she's about the same age as you). Now she is told that she has 8 months to sign up for part B (because I just retired). Teamcare hasn't dropped us? I get the "impression", they are in no hurry to drop us. MY WIFE AND I ARE SO FREAKIN CONFUSED!!
I'm sorta in a hurry to get her off teamcare into medicare for the savings (if there is any!). But 1. I also don't want sub par care then we were getting.
2. I don't want to be filling out 118 pages of paperwork for two medical plans to pay a Dr visit or prescription.
I thought Teamcare would drop something just because she has part A. I think they need her to get part B.
I'm open to any other opinions/advice you have.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Teamcare is your primary. And Medicare Part A will be your secondary. Also, as explained, you will not need Part B as Teamcare covers that so you can save $104.00 per month. Teamcare remains your primary for hospital and doctors as long as you are working. After you retire, you notify Medicare and Part A will be your Hospitalization and you can than purchase Part B. And you are correct, with my experience with Medicare and a good Supplement that you can purchase from insurance carriers, it is way better than Teamcare.

twoweeled

Teamcare is your primary. And Medicare Part A will be your secondary. Also, as explained, you will not need Part B as Teamcare covers that so you can save $104.00 per month. Teamcare remains your primary for hospital and doctors as long as you are working. After you retire, you notify Medicare and Part A will be your Hospitalization and you can than purchase Part B. And you are correct, with my experience with Medicare and a good Supplement that you can purchase from insurance carriers, it is way better than Teamcare.
I contacted SS, and they told me that Part B would cost me approx $109. If I drop Teamcare and pay for Part B, it appears the savings of $104 is negated?
But it also sounds like, if I just stay with Part A and teamcare, that I can keep that savings of $104? Although I'm not sure what Part A would do, if I have teamcare.

FYI I'm retired, but the wife isn't, if that matters. Wife under my plan.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The first sentence in this post had me writhing in a pool of my own excrement.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The first sentence in this post had me writhing in a pool of my own excrement.
upload_2016-2-24_20-24-28.jpeg

ski or die

Ski or Die
I contacted SS, and they told me that Part B would cost me approx $109. If I drop Teamcare and pay for Part B, it appears the savings of $104 is negated?
But it also sounds like, if I just stay with Part A and teamcare, that I can keep that savings of $104? Although I'm not sure what Part A would do, if I have teamcare.

FYI I'm retired, but the wife isn't, if that matters. Wife under my plan.

If you are 65 or older, Teamcare does not cover you, but will continue to cover your spouse until she is 65, depending on your Local's Supplement. In the case of the original OP, he is 66 but still working. His post is kinda confusing. If he still is working for UPS he has Teamcare as long as he works and would be better off to use Medicare Part A which covers hospitalization as his primary {because Part A is free}. Then Teamcare would be the secondary on Part A. As far as Part B goes, which covers doctor's, I would use Teamcare for that and not purchase Part B from Medicare and save the $109 he was quoted per month. Then when he retires, purchase Part A and Part B. Like I said, all Local Supplement's are different. He should check with his Local and see what coverages he maintains for himself and his spouse and at what age they may cease before he makes a decision. Medicare does require you purchase their insurance either 3 months after turning 65, or if you still have health coverage you must purchase their insurance within 3 months after that insurance does not cover you any longer.

twoweeled

If you are 65 or older, Teamcare does not cover you, but will continue to cover your spouse until she is 65, depending on your Local's Supplement. In the case of the original OP, he is 66 but still working. His post is kinda confusing. If he still is working for UPS he has Teamcare as long as he works and would be better off to use Medicare Part A which covers hospitalization as his primary {because Part A is free}. Then Teamcare would be the secondary on Part A. As far as Part B goes, which covers doctor's, I would use Teamcare for that and not purchase Part B from Medicare and save the $109 he was quoted per month. Then when he retires, purchase Part A and Part B. Like I said, all Local Supplement's are different. He should check with his Local and see what coverages he maintains for himself and his spouse and at what age they may cease before he makes a decision. Medicare does require you purchase their insurance either 3 months after turning 65, or if you still have health coverage you must purchase their insurance within 3 months after that insurance does not cover you any longer.

I am 63 and just retired. Wife is 65 and has signed up for Part A, but not using it. She is still using my retirement Teamcare. It appears she can stay on Teamcare, as long as I am not 65. As I said, "appears" she doesn't have to. She still works but I'm sure she'll be stopping soon. I haven't a clue if she should;
1. be getting a discount off Teamcare because she has Part A.
2. Be getting off Teamcare entirely, because she is 65 and I'm 63.
3. Volunteer to go on Part A and purchase Part B and Part D and do away with Teamcare.

I even went to SS and see they don't know what she should be doing! What a pain. We were told because of her circumstances, my wife has 8 months to sign up for part B. CRAP!!!