OMS Grade 99?

SmithBarney

Hey all, was curious if I could get the approximate low-down
on the OMS position and its pay rate for a Grade 99?

I remember briefly our OMS, but my curiosity is piqued.

Also is the OMS position in any way like the PT sup positions
where I could go into driving in the 6:1 rotation?

Here our OMSes are glorified clerks with a perception of authority. We've never had one go into driving, but one did get promoted to FT OC sup with no previous driving experience. If ever want to really enjoy your day, just have a sup that only knows what the book says supervise your performance.

SmithBarney

I'm familiar with most of what the OMS does, and have been a full time driver
left with a positive rehire, was just checking... thanks

LiL"Comet"

Here our OMSes are glorified clerks with a perception of authority. We've never had one go into driving, but one did get promoted to FT OC sup with no previous driving experience. If ever want to really enjoy your day, just have a sup that only knows what the book says supervise your performance.

I was an oms for nearly 8 yrs before getting the chance to go driving finally after fighting tool and nail. In my location if it weren't for the oms's there would be no communication between anyone. If my drvrs needed something they called one of us before they called there OR or center manager. Customers even spoke with us before trying to track down there BD person. LOL

I along with another pt local sort guy went driving about 3 weeks apart from one another. My center manager didn't' want to promote me but was full out wanting to wipe the other guys butt for him. Why? you might ask, I am a female so I wouldn't be able to do the job. Nearly 4 weeks in the other guy disqualified himself for the pretty shady things, while I how ever ran scratch in 14 days:happy-very: you should have seen how differently that center manager changed his wording around. It was great to finally go out and meet customers I had been helping out for so long put faces with names.

Fredly00 you can go driving when there's an off the road hire 1 to 6. The pay for a p/t oms is about the same as other p/t positions. :peaceful:

bad company

semi-pro
I used to be a part-time sup, and also was an OMS for a year or so... I now drive full-time. It can be done. Pay varies...the raises your business manager (and division manager if they see fit) gives you can really make a big difference in what you make. Most get the average, but you can always get more if you justify and/or deserve it.

I was an oms for nearly 8 yrs before getting the chance to go driving finally after fighting tool and nail. In my location if it weren't for the oms's there would be no communication between anyone. If my drvrs needed something they called one of us before they called there OR or center manager. Customers even spoke with us before trying to track down there BD person. LOL

:peaceful:
Perhaps my wording was a bit harsh. A GOOD OMS is invaluable to the company and the drivers. The problem is(here anyway), the GOOD ones are evidently hard to come by. However the fact that an OMS is good at their job does not equate that they are going to be able to supervise a worker in a position the OMS knows very little about.

LiL"Comet"

Perhaps my wording was a bit harsh. A GOOD OMS is invaluable to the company and the drivers. The problem is(here anyway), the GOOD ones are evidently hard to come by. However the fact that an OMS is good at their job does not equate that they are going to be able to supervise a worker in a position the OMS knows very little about.

OH no harm done here I agree with you from all points there's a lot of people in positions they hold that suck and don't know jack.. If your centers have good oms's your lucky because the do hold a lot together for everyone.

Right before I went driving I had to train a guy to take my position and I still catch hell from the drvrs about him not knowing anything when the need something.. LOL I just give'm hell tell them take it easy on him..

It's hard to have respect from someone who is telling you what to do when they don't know themselves..:peaceful:

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I have seen the responsibilities of the OMS position vary greatly. Its been my observation that it all depends on the capacity of the person in the position. There are some really "powerful" (for lack of a better word) OMS's out there and plenty of glorified clerks (like someone else called theirs) out there too. Everyone starts as a glorified clerk, its how much you put into it and your willingness to make decisions and solve problems on your own.

In the long run I believe OMS helps you get best prepared for a FT management job, the real challenges happen in the center not on the load wall.

<---Former OMS, couple seasons of temp driving, current FT sup.