OMS here... my UPS story. (3 years in)

W

westsideworma

Yes, an OMS is considered part-time management. In fact, the term OMS is no longer used officially, and the new term for the position is Part-time Package Center Supervisor (PTPCS).

Because OMS was clearly not enough letters to describe the position :wink2:

Further proof that sometimes we change things just for the sake of change (I don't just mean UPS)

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
Alex, Hang in there man hopefully something will come up for you. As stated in an earlier reply showing interest in a FT supervisor position is your ticket out. It's how I went into driving from OMS and before that I was a Diad Tech. I bet some of the old hands remember those!

Good luck:happy2:

tieguy

Banned
Anybody who questions our need for a union needs to look at the way UPS treats its own management people if they want a clue as to what life would be like as a non-union hourly.

I agree the 401 K match, solid retirement plan, christmas check and mip absolutely suck. How can they continue to abuse me so?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree the 401 K match, solid retirement plan, christmas check and mip absolutely suck. How can they continue to abuse me so?
70 hour workweeks...inferior health plan...no job security...involuntary relocations/reassignments....less vacation time....having to check your integrity and self-respect at the door when you come to work....no thanks I'd rather be in a union. At least I dont have to look someone in the eye, hand them a turd, and try to make them believe it is a rose.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
70 hour workweeks...inferior health plan...no job security...involuntary relocations/reassignments....less vacation time....having to check your integrity and self-respect at the door when you come to work....no thanks I'd rather be in a union. At least I dont have to look someone in the eye, hand them a turd, and try to make them believe it is a rose.

Well said, that certainly describes it.

One of our sups (28 years as a sup)was just transfered with less than a 24 hour notice to another center 150 miles from here. He was told on Sunday by the Division Manager that if he wanted to keep working for UP$ he had to report there Monday morning. This guy is one of the good ones, he tries to mantain a balance between management and hourly believing that more can be accomplished through cooperation than through intimidation. That leaves us with ONE OCS that knows what's going on and a brand new ,former OMS, OCS that knows nothing more than they were able to teach him in a one week school. This guy thinks all he has to do is shout out an order and end it with, "I'm instructing you to...".
Anyway it seems that all ya have to do to get what you want around here is kiss enough booty and you got it made.

Channahon

70 hour workweeks... Every management person can control their hours, by utilizing their time effectively.

inferior health plan... Benefits are selected by employee based on their and their families needs

no job security... UPS management has been downsized over the years due to consolidation, and either buyouts are offered or management openings are filled with displaced management

involuntary relocations/reassignments....I've never know anyone who involuntarily reloacted or reassignment, I have seen management turn down these kinds of opportunities. Not to mention, relocations have been virtually nil due to cost cutting measures

less vacation time....not anymore, with 5 discretionary days added to vacation weeks

having to check your integrity and self-respect at the door when you come to work.... That could be any UPS employee

no thanks I'd rather be in a union. At least I dont have to look someone in the eye, hand them a turd, and try to make them believe it is a rose.

Every UPS employee makes a career decision, some employees are more suited to being in management and others are happy being union or non union administrative/technical employees.

Whatever works for you and your family is the name of the game at any organization you pursue a career.

JMO