On-Call Pickups - Up or Down

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS introduced several changes to the On-Call Pickup service this week.

Did you notice any changes in the number of On-Call Pickups?

Any increase in drop-off volume at The UPS Store?

Any increase in the number of packages in UPS Drop Boxes?

Any feedback from customers about the changes?

Ms.PacMan

Down

1 regular on-call ground customer shaken by the warning? / announcement of a pick-up charge. Startled him and he said he hung up.

What were all the changes?

DS

Fenderbender
We get lots of oncalls up here.The first day it was implemented there was a lot of missed pickups because customers gave up after being put on hold for forever.Customers were complaining that even for collect shipments,they are now being charged $2.Some were so confused they just called purolator instead.
I told the ones that were having problems to just tape a piece of paper on thier door by 15:15 pm with UPS written on it and I'll pop in and grab it,like the olden days.I'm sure after they get used to it they will be ok with it.

bumped

I had a few customers ask me about it, and a couple that said they will just send it through the post office. They said the PO picks is up when its left at the mailbox, why should they go through hoops and have to pay more.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Obviously since the new services are not On-Call Pickup services. :wink2:

right, but its the one, two, three, or four days pickups I'm not quite sure how to position as an advantage for the customer.

trust me, with all the district changes, training this year has been kind of shakey. they told us about the new changes, but that is about it.

they are more worried about us ONLY going after profitable accounts and letting the rate shoppers go to fedex.

thanks goodness most of my customers are daily pickup accounts.

brownrod

UPS introduced several changes to the On-Call Pickup service this week.

Did you notice any changes in the number of On-Call Pickups?

Any increase in drop-off volume at The UPS Store?

Any increase in the number of packages in UPS Drop Boxes?

Any feedback from customers about the changes?

I did a new route the other day and one customer went off on me about how they want to charge him 10$ for the pickup. And he couldn't understand why his address is considered residential even though he runs a business out of his garage.

I simply said 'thanks, have a good day.' and walked out while he was talking.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I did a new route the other day and one customer went off on me about how they want to charge him 10$ for the pickup. And he couldn't understand why his address is considered residential even though he runs a business out of his garage.

I simply said 'thanks, have a good day.' and walked out while he was talking.

ask him if he has

1. a front door that anyone can walk in at any time
2. an approved fire excape
3. posted hours on his door.

if not, walking away was the right thing - he is residential. we have something like 75,000 places to drop off packages for free!

JonFrum

ask him if he has

1. a front door that anyone can walk in at any time
2. an approved fire excape
3. posted hours on his door.

if not, walking away was the right thing - he is residential. we have something like 75,000 places to drop off packages for free!
Some businesses, including UPS, do not allow anyone to walk in at any time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

right, but its the one, two, three, or four days pickups I'm not quite sure how to position as an advantage for the customer....thanks goodness most of my customers are daily pickup accounts.

I have several daily pickup customers who rarely if ever send anything out so the new Green Pickup could be ideal for them.

I would use the cost savings as a selling point. I would ask them how often their driver walks in and leaves empty handed and if we would better serve their needs if we only walked in 1 or 2 times a week rather than 5 days a week for roughly 1/2 the cost.

bigbrownhen

The new pick up info was just thrown at us through DIAD training. Not alot of explanation or examples. It will take time to understand it all, but I can see the bennifits to the customers.
What will burn us is when a customer who has 50 boxes going out call in at 3pm for a pick up, throwing off our routines to make daily pick ups and finish resi deliveries. That service will throw things out of wack for many of us at one time or another.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The new pick up info was just thrown at us through DIAD training. Not alot of explanation or examples. It will take time to understand it all, but I can see the bennifits to the customers.
What will burn us is when a customer who has 50 boxes going out call in at 3pm for a pick up, throwing off our routines to make daily pick ups and finish resi deliveries. That service will throw things out of wack for many of us at one time or another.

There are two more training modules still to come which should answer all of your questions and/or concerns. This is geared toward your smaller mom and pop shippers so I don't think you will be surprised with a 50 piece p/u at 3 pm.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We misssed a next day air pickup because the person at our on-call center had no clue. Typical. Why does enhanced always mean less service?