On car sup

rod

Retired 22 years
I was just offered a new position as ft on road sup. I am meeting with the honchos tomorrow to finalize and I am curious as to what to expect for a salary offer? I have a number in mind and don't want to be disappointed or unrealistic but also don't want to be taken advantage of since this is my first ft promotion opportunity. I am well aware of the hard work and long hours that lie ahead. To add a few details which might help, I have been with UPS for 5 years, 1yr as a loader and the last 4yrs as a PT Dispatch Sup (a pretty good one if I must say), and I work in a smaller center in a pretty rural area. Also wondering if the offer is negotiable at all or is it a take it or leave it kind of situation? Appreciate any help with this!

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
They couldn't pay me enough to become one of these....

marionette.jpg

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was just offered a new position as ft on road sup. I am meeting with the honchos tomorrow to finalize and I am curious as to what to expect for a salary offer? I have a number in mind and don't want to be disappointed or unrealistic but also don't want to be taken advantage of since this is my first ft promotion opportunity. I am well aware of the hard work and long hours that lie ahead. To add a few details which might help, I have been with UPS for 5 years, 1yr as a loader and the last 4yrs as a PT Dispatch Sup (a pretty good one if I must say), and I work in a smaller center in a pretty rural area. Also wondering if the offer is negotiable at all or is it a take it or leave it kind of situation? Appreciate any help with this!
THIS IS WHAT EVERY NEW FULL TIME SUPERVISOR THINKS HE'S GOING TO DO
swgstrt.gif

THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENS !!!
gBGKxFq.gif

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Don't let those that judge you bother you for your personal decision. They've not walked on the path you're about to take.

I was part-time for some years then a full-time driver for almost 5 years before I made the decision. It's not for everyone and it is difficult, no doubt. There are both good things and bad with driving and management. It is a step in another direction and could be more difficult for you because you have not been a package driver before.

Change as we all know isn't easy but can be rewarding.

Supervisors are people just like drivers, many are good people and some not so much.

Good luck to you!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
you DO realize dont you that you are taking a job that will soon be phased out? With the growing Technology there simply wont be a need for On Car Supes in a very few years

you DO realize dont you that you are taking a job that will soon be phased out? With the growing Technology there simply wont be a need for On Car Supes in a very few years
I said that,to a postal supervisor. he was time studying a mail carrier. I said,UPS doesnt do that anymore.

He said why not? I said they were replaced with technology. you should have seen the look on his face!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
1) Your drivers will not respect you if you've never driven...ever (especially if you're young).
2) Know that you have very very little actual decision making ability/discretion. Nor does your center manager or DM. A handful of bean counters in Atlanta, Georgia dictate how most things will be run. That which doesn't come from Atlanta will come from your center manager and/or DM.
3) You'll spend most of your time trying to figure out what you're going to do to motivate and influence guys who have been mistreated by other members of management and now have a bitter taste in their mouth, but know how to play the game. You'll do this not to be a good supervisor or to make sure your guys are performing well, but rather to avoid having to explain yourself on conference calls and to come up with BS action plans---You do it so that you can stay off the dreaded lists/reports.
4) You'll be put in countless situations where you have to decide if you're going to look bad or do something unethical/break the rules. Example: You'll be given a hard time for missed packages, but if your guys deliver them, the mileage will be high and you'll have to answer for the orion numbers being :censored2:. If you try to go and pick them up to bring them to the right driver, you'll likely get a supervisor working grievance, which will eventually piss off the center manager/DM when they have to pay it.