on job vs off job injury

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by browntroll, Apr 2, 2016.

1. browntroll

browntroll Active Member

i havent been injured so far and hope to keep it that way but always wondered how each is handled.
    heard for on job injury they do an injury report and manager/supervisor drives you to a doctors office but does doctor tell UPS exactly whats wrong with you? or just that you need time off?.
    never actually seen or heard what happens to off job injuries, heard a coworker broke his hand off job but does he file for unemployment or disability till he can come back?

2. Shirt term disability if you get hurt off of the job. It's a lot less money than comp.

3. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Exercise your HIPPA rights

4. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

If you get hurt on the job, always report it and fill out an injury report that day. Management discourages it since it hurts their numbers, but their Operation Plan does expect a certain number of accidents and injuries. My two first hernias I didn't fill out an injury report that day because I just thought they were minor strains. I was later told I couldn't prove I did them on the clock and was denied Workman's Comp. Big loss of pay on my part, I learned my lesson the hard way.

5. Ouch.

6. browntroll

browntroll Active Member

thats the only thing im worried about, my dad also had 3 hernias around my age from physical labor jobs. i know im not getting younger
    and should expect injuries sooner then later but would like to know what to expect as far as paper work or how i will get treated
    by management and union in case something happens.

7. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

but you can stack unemployment on that as well and get close to normal income.

8. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

You go to your own doctor for a work related injury and never let your management team drive you. They have every right to go with you to the appointment but have no right to enter the exam room. They can and will talk with the doctor AFTER your appointment to try to get him to allow work with restrictions.

9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Just saying, someone hurt off the job once, came to work and guess what? They got hurt on the job! No names please.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If you get hurt off the clock you drag your ass to work and act like nothing happened. Then you get hurt on the clock.

Just kidding

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I thoroughly believe this happens more times than you care to think about.

12. browntroll

browntroll Active Member

yup saw one guy literally drag ass for a whole year so he can say he messed up his already messed up shoulder. he had to wait a year so he
    can get insurance to pay for it. i have noticed im one of the few employees left in area that hasnt been injured, heard a rookie cracked a rib
    6 months into the job when a box fell off a wall while he was unloading and hit him.

13. iamupser

iamupser I'm Institutionized

Every state has different comp laws. In Michigan, your employer has authority to direct your care for the 1st 28 days or so. They always seem to try to scold and intimidate the injured and always say it was your fault. I've had a work related hernia repaired 5 years ago but other workers have been brow beaten to say it didn't happen at work although Michigan treats hernias as a "job related illness" usually from repetitive stress.

14. Wally

Workman's comp pays way better in my state and is tax free. Just saying, not that I have done this...

15. Wally

Yes, I'm quite the good actor, acting not hurt. If I ever did anything like that, that is...

16. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I have told people to throw me on truck, if I am unconscious somewhere, more money that way.