On road Observations

browniehound

Let's face 99.99999% of the time our drivers in suburban areas won't be victims of robbery or terrorist attacks, so I think if you're having an automotive problem its OK to leave the car running. But, if we're talking about this being a part of the driver's normal routine then it should be addressed with management observations. I don't want to sound like a management kiss-ass here, but I do think there is a difference.

swing_drv

I really agree with the 150 lb. Now that we have our own frieght company it should go back to 75 lbs. It seems like there would be less damaged packages. A frieght company is more able to handle these. They have lift gates and pallet dolley's.

local804

, so I think if you're having an automotive problem its OK to leave the car running. .

Not following UPS policy and if an accident did happen, like a roll away because your car is not in gear, would you know the difference then?
We either follow the rules or we break them, one or the other, not both.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with the weight limit, it should go back.

I went to a doc on Saturday and I have 30 stitches in my arm and my back. Some kind of tumors, hoping they are benign. He wouldnt write me off work even for a few days. He wouldnt even give me one tiny pain pill. I asked him if I could work, he said yeah you can work, I said do you know what I do? His words were, just tell the boss to take it easy on ya for a few weeks. he said as long as I wasnt throwing 50 pd boxes around I would be ok. I tried to tell him what I do, and he just looked at me, like, "no you are a woman, I know you cant possibly have a physical job". It will be ok Honey....So I thought I should tell my boss, he just said why didnt you call off?

Well I dont know about most of you but I cant take 2 wks off with no pay. Its ridiculous for us to be hefting 100 pd boxes plus, with nothing more than a dolly, when there is a freight service, now within our company. We are a small pkg company, or so I thought. Anyway, I didnt rip em out yet, so far so good. I know I wasnt allowed to work with 15 stitches from a dog bite, but this doc said I could work with thirty...........

browniehound

Not following UPS policy and if an accident did happen, like a roll away because your car is not in gear, would you know the difference then?
We either follow the rules or we break them, one or the other, not both.
Local,, looks like you break the rules a lot and therefore find a need to defend yourselve against them. In my 8 years of driving I have never been brought into an office and threatened with disaplinary action. If they tell me to leave the truck running, I do what they say.

local804

Local,, looks like you break the rules a lot and therefore find a need to defend yourselve against them. In my 8 years of driving I have never been brought into an office and threatened with disaplinary action. If they tell me to leave the truck running, I do what they say.

Brownie,
What would give you the idea that I break the rules all the time? I am not a perfect driver and I do not live in laalaa land. You have 8 years under your belt and have alot of time left ahead of you. Some people are leaders and some are followers, I can see what you are. I am sure my suits would tell drivers to keep the truck running, but I can assure you, they would not tell me that nonsense.

helenofcalifornia

Tooner, time to change doctors! How the heck can you work with 30 stitches in?? I can't believe that your doctor was so callous!! Again, time to change doctors and get one that understands the job, its requirements and its physicality. Jeez, how did you work and not pull out your stitches? And I would have gone out with vacation if I had to. Disability would have worked if your doctor had any vague understanding of the job. But he sounds like some kind of doctor that existed in the 50's. Was he a company doc? I hope your stitches don't get infected. We had someone who got the flesh-eating bacteria from a scratch at work. No telling what kind of stuff we run into everyday. Take care.

local804

I dont think I have been in the office either during your 8 year career my friend. I do the job the way they want it done, I just wont compromise safety, it looks like you would. If I do something wrong, I will take my progressive discipline for it and I am sure it wont happen again. Its not hard staying out of the suits radar and just do your job. Remember one thing rookie, They are only packages. If you keep your truck running and it rolls away, just remember to tell them thats what you were instructed to do.

trickpony1

When your truck rolls away see how quickly all the suits stand there with their shoulders shrugged and say, "we didn't tell him to leave his truck running.".

browniehound

I dont think I have been in the office either during your 8 year career my friend. I do the job the way they want it done, I just wont compromise safety, it looks like you would. If I do something wrong, I will take my progressive discipline for it and I am sure it wont happen again. Its not hard staying out of the suits radar and just do your job. Remember one thing rookie, They are only packages. If you keep your truck running and it rolls away, just remember to tell them thats what you were instructed to do.

Sorry local, I didn't mean any offense, and apparently I misjudged you. I am just sick and tired of having to help slackers out on a daily basis. I have my own route to do, why do I have to help somebody who can't do THEIR job. It always seems the people I have to help out are in the office everyday with the union rep. Sorry I put you in that catagory. My bad.

local804

Its all good brownie :)
Next time they ask you to help out the slacker and you really dont want to, let them know you have plans for the night and you cant. It seems like your a favorite go to guy because you get the job done. If if really bothers you, talk to the suit that keeps asking you to bail them out. If there is no communication, it will only get worse and will build up inside of you. Communication is key

browniehound

Thanks for the advice local. I have used the "I have plans can't help" to no avail. In their defense, if I tell them something specific I have to do, they allow me to come in. Don't get me wrong, if you're really screwed and I'm light I don't mind helpind drivers that help me when I'm screwed. But if i'm doing a route that the regular driver always requests help on and they ask me to help it really irks me because they would never ask said driver to help out. By the way, I always take my lunch except for on occasion when I put an 8-hour letter in and I can finish in 7 by not stoping and I have to get out early.

Next time they ask you to help out the slacker and you really dont want to, let them know you have plans for the night and you cant. It seems like your a favorite go to guy because you get the job done. If if really bothers you, talk to the suit that keeps asking you to bail them out. If there is no communication, it will only get worse and will build up inside of you. Communication is key

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I help the slackers(those not as efficient as me?)when I can and if I can't I simply let them know I have something going on. Not a problem. I usually go out heavy enough without helping so they pretty much leave me alone unless they're desperate. In keeping with the topic they won't come out and observe you unless you give them a reason to come out and observe you.

disneyworld

If you keep saying you can't help, they will eventually just put the work on you in the morning.

canon

I am just sick and tired of having to help slackers out on a daily basis.
Before you call them slackers, they may have just reached the point it looks like you're beginning to see. The more work you do, the more they expect. It's a system set up to reward the less motivated with less work.

In my building, the slowest people get the day off anytime they want. Simply because mgmt knows the utility driver they replace him with will do a lot more stops. Or they are allowed to run misloads out to drivers, for the same reason. I get the sob story guilt trip if I call in because I'm sick... forget about me getting a day off like them with a cheery "have a nice day" from the supe.

The supe finds it easier to rely on the cooperative driver who always takes the extra work than to deal with either the lazy driver or the good driver that just has a dispatch problem. Everyone has different tolerance levels for being taken for granted; rebellion comes when the cooperative driver figures things out and is no longer going to try to keep up with the unending demand for more more more. So they ask for help and management looks for another cooperative driver. Eventually, I'll bet someone calls you a slacker... but it's only because they haven't reached the point you have.

local84 nailed it. It's just a game. True, some of the players are lazy. But others have just been playing longer.