on the job injury

City Driver

today while lifting a propane tank onto a forklift something happened to my back......it was very painful, i chose to go home and see how it felt instead of going to the clinic

well ive been laying down and giving it heat and its getting even worse....no idea what i did to it...it also is very painful to take deep breaths

i cant really afford to miss work, but i know i wont be able to work for atleast a few days....and i really dont want to miss work, money is tight

how many days of work do u have to miss before being eligible for workers comp? i dont want it to go that far cuz its probably only like 40% of your pay but man, i cant even hardly walk right now:angry:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
today while lifting a propane tank onto a forklift something happened to my back......it was very painful, i chose to go home and see how it felt instead of going to the clinic

well ive been laying down and giving it heat and its getting even worse....no idea what i did to it...it also is very painful to take deep breaths

i cant really afford to miss work, but i know i wont be able to work for atleast a few days....and i really dont want to miss work, money is tight

how many days of work do u have to miss before being eligible for workers comp? i dont want it to go that far cuz its probably only like 40% of your pay but man, i cant even hardly walk right now:angry:
First off, put ice on it instead of heat. Heat will make the inflammation get worse. Second, if you didn't report it when it happened do so as soon as possible.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Please - with all due respect - don't you think you may just be skipping ahead a wee bit (Alot)?

If it happened today, why not go see a doctor? Although I'm sure you are not, coming on the forum a few hours after pulling your back, not having even seen a Dr. yet, and going for Worker's Comp gives you the appearance of being an opportunist.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you at least notify your supervisor that you may have hurt yourself?

It sounds as though you may have pulled a muscle.

As I recall you are a Freight driver so I assume there is no light duty available. Do you have any vacation and/or personal time that you can use rather than go without pay?

In New York you have to wait 2 weeks before you start receiving comp payments, which are capped at $400 per week.

This thread is perhaps the best advertisement for supplemental health insurance, whether it be Aflac or Combined. I have Combined and, in the above scenario, I would get paid to go to the ER, get paid to follow up with the Doctor, and receive a daily benefit in addition to comp payments.

City Driver

Please - with all due respect - don't you think you may just be skipping ahead a wee bit (Alot)?
\

yes i am skipping ahead, im just worried i wont be able to work and wont be able to pay my rent

money is tight, i already know i will miss 3 or 4 days work atleast...thats $500 right there we are talking about...i think i have the right to worry

jimstud

Banned
i hoped you at least reported the injury right away. you have to be out of work 21 days to be paid for the 1st 7. your comp. is 60 % of your last 52 weeks and it does not max out

rod

Retired 22 years
Last I heard around here comp paid about $800 a week (tax free by the way) . We used to have to be off 2 weeks to be paid all the way back to the date of the injury. Above all else fill out an injury report-see a real doctor- document everything and make copies. A back injury (even if it is only a pulled muscle) isn't anything to mess around with. The last I checked no one on the Brown Cafe is a real Doctor so take that for what it is worth

Johney

City,
Do not worry about the contract alone, check your states worker compensation laws they will give you alot more information about your rights. State laws vary.

exupser87

City Driver,

MAKE SURE YOU REPORT IT AND GO TO THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY. I slipped a disc in my back at UPS years ago. I can tell you that there can be long term damage if it involves a disc(s). I did not report mine as a part time supervisor since we had salary continuation. 25 years later, I have had 2 surgeries on 3 discs, and I can tell I will have to go back in the future. That's what "Brown did for me". If you have something that is permanent, it WILL deteriorate over the course of aging, and your money problems now will be nothing compared to that. If you have to go out, specify FMLA leave, as there are federal guidlines that protect from retaliation and harrasment( 2 of UPS' management's best talents ).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
First off, put ice on it instead of heat. Heat will make the inflammation get worse. Second, if you didn't report it when it happened do so as soon as possible.
I can't stress the fact, enough, that you must report this. Do it now, get checked out. It may be something minor or major, but you need to have it documented and checked out, NOW!

Rainman

Its all good.
Call right now to yourmanagement team. You may hear a bunch of crap from management, but you have to protect your health for now and the future. They may not like it but you will be covering yourself this way. I am a chsp co chair and I see people have done this and it hasn't kept the company from paying benefits and you have to document things to cover yourself.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Call right now to yourmanagement team. You may hear a bunch of crap from management, but you have to protect your health for now and the future. They may not like it but you will be covering yourself this way. I am a chsp co chair and I see people have done this and it hasn't kept the company from paying benefits and you have to document things to cover yourself.

Don't even get me started!:happy2:

As far as the money concerns go, the amount you will/would receive depends on your state laws.
1. Report this to your supervisor ASAP
1a. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
2. Make sure they call it in to the insurance company. Liberty Mutual will want to talk to you personally when it's called in also.
2a.DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
3. Contact your state workers compensation board to find out what your rights are.
3a. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
4. See YOUR doctor FIRST(instead of company doc), if allowed by law.
4a. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING

Here the max pay from comp is $750 tax free. They do go back a certain amount of time to calculate your average weekly pay and you get appox 70% up to the max out. Starting from the first day missed due to the injury if you miss as much as 14 days, but it will take 21 days to get your first check. You may need to talk to your landlord about an extension for your rent.

Just to CYA, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING,DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING