on the truck before start time

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Oh and thanks for being a reasonable, compassionate and understand person /not.

maybe i am watching too much House on tv.

lets see, you complain about not being able to get the job done without starting early. your sup is climbing all over you because of your production anyway.

and now some little tidbits of truth. your doing things your way cause you are so damn smart after working at ups for a little over a year, you know better than all those little stupid sups that did the training. thats about your problem in a nutshell.

and its my fault for not caring?

*************. and self centered as well.

about the only thing you said that even resembles a ups man's life is that your job can and does affect your home life.

get real. do your job the way you were trained. you will find you wont have the issues with your sup, and you wont have to start early and skip your lunches to become a good delivery driver.

BTW, those little nasty habits you learned on your own, doing things "your way" instead of the way they trained you? they only replicate and get worse. as one becomes your dominant way of doing things, other methods get shoved by the wayside to compensate for "your way". next thing you know, the only difference between you and the mail man will be your uniform.

Essentially I have become set in the ways that I do things....Come end of peak season I am going to try and do things a better way. The right way.
so you are admitting you are doing things the wrong way, but you are good at methods. a contradiction in terms. but after peak, you are going to do things a better way, the right way? oh you mean methods, those little things you are good at, but not doing?

whats next?

Oh and thanks for being a reasonable, compassionate and understand person /not.
actually i am. i totally understand you want to do things your way, not the ups way while out on road. therefore me telling you you really dont need to be on your car every day off the clock does not apply to you because you are too slow.

so i take compassion on your plight and point out that the time proven methods work for every body else, they should be fine for you.

and as far as being resonable..........well, two out of three aint bad.:wink2:

d

Last edited by a moderator:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
maybe i am watching too much House on tv.

lets see, you complain about not being able to get the job done without starting early. your sup is climbing all over you because of your production anyway.

and now some little tidbits of truth. your doing things your way cause you are so damn smart after working at ups for a little over a year, you know better than all those little stupid sups that did the training. thats about your problem in a nutshell.

and its my fault for not caring?

***************. and self centered as well.

about the only thing you said that even resembles a ups man's life is that your job can and does affect your home life.

get real. do your job the way you were trained. you will find you wont have the issues with your sup, and you wont have to start early and skip your lunches to become a good delivery driver.

BTW, those little nasty habits you learned on your own, doing things "your way" instead of the way they trained you? they only replicate and get worse. as one becomes your dominant way of doing things, other methods get shoved by the wayside to compensate for "your way". next thing you know, the only difference between you and the mail man will be your uniform.

so you are admitting you are doing things the wrong way, but you are good at methods. a contradiction in terms. but after peak, you are going to do things a better way, the right way? oh you mean methods, those little things you are good at, but not doing?

whats next?

actually i am. i totally understand you want to do things your way, not the ups way while out on road. therefore me telling you you really dont need to be on your car every day off the clock does not apply to you because you are too slow.

so i take compassion on your plight and point out that the time proven methods work for every body else, they should be fine for you.

and as far as being resonable..........well, two out of three aint bad.:wink2:

d
*****************. I come up with humility and you call me a schmuck? Go to hell then.

I was TRAINED to come in early and go through my truck! When I started I was TOLD to do it! So these aren't habits I've just "picked up on my own." They are how I learned to be a driver. It was several months before I even heard someone say "I won't touch a package before start time" The concept was completely alien to me.

And the methods as far as package selection, entering and exiting the car, buckling the seat belt while cranking the car and disengaging the parking brake, placing packages on the dolly... These are methods. "Not sorting before start time" is uhhhh, NOT a method.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system

*************. and self centered as well.

At what point did I say I had infinite wisdom about this job, or anything else for that matter? I said that I was learning, I never said I had it all down. I also said that SINCE I've been driving, I have improved and have a) Slowed down to a more reasonable pace, not running everywhere, b) Never skip my lunch, c) Become more relaxed when the day doesn't go the way I would like it to. All these things suggest improvement from when I first started, and was TOLD to come in early and sort my truck.

Right now, I do NOT get bitched at about my performance, because I do a good job. I feel that if I start spending all the time I spend in the morning off the clock, ON the clock sorting, then there is a "chance" my performance might decrease, and someone in management would notice. I am going to see after peak season what happens when I try this. Obviously if it works out that I can spend more time sleeping in, and subsequently more time on the clock, and I'm not being scrutinized by management, then all is well in the world. As it is right now I'm just not used to doing things that way, and change can be difficult. I am however, going to attempt to change for the better.

I really don't understand how I'm self centered here buddy. Never did I say that my way was the best way, or that I am obviously doing it right and every one else is doing it wrong. I realize that there are better ways to do my job, and will continually strive to find them and work towards them.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Back in the day I used to spend a good 45 minutes off the clock sorting my truck. It was justified because our center was a bonus center and I used to run an hour under so I was technically getting paid. Either start at 830am without sorting and get done at 700pm or start sorting at 745am and get done at 615pm. Its all the same amount of time being paid for so what the *****? I liked getting home as early as possible. My loader was horrible. If I didnt sort I would have had misloads that were my responsibility to run off at the end of the day. Who needs that *****? I had to leave for work early to avoid rush hour traffic so I was at work anyway might as well do something positive with the time. I absolutley hated the forced overtime and wanted nothing more than 8 hours of work in my truck per day.

When you accepted this job did you know you would have to travel to get to work? If so you should have bought a newspaper and educated your self a little instead of working for free. Or got paid every dime you had coming and been able to afford a house closer to work!
The best day of my career at UPS was when I bid out of the package car********* job and into an article 22 combination job. From there went to feeders. My life has been fabulous ever since. I continuously encourage all of the drivers I used to work with to follow in my footsteps.

Red, you brought up a good point in "pkg hide and seek".

With all these drivers that apparently are working off the clock, where are all the stewards for these drivers at? Why aren't these stewards raising 9 kinds of hell at these centers?
Its not my job to kick drivers off of the dock, its my job to insure that if a driver is on the dock he will get paid for it. Its amazing that i can go without touching a package in the morning before start time and still out work load massagers and beat them back to the building at night with more work done.

stringerman85

Man some of you people are crazy, If you actually work off the clock then maybe that's something you should just keep to yourselves.

The easiest way to deal with your truck is to arrange your air stops the best you can when you first get on the clock. That's all you need to worry about before you leave.

I would deliver my rear bulk stops and floor stops and then usually take less than 5 minutes to go though the truck and try to arrange crap, Usually moving whatever stuff is on the floor out of the way, to the back...Hopefully by then even on a heavy route you would have some space to move...It's really not that difficult...Sometimes when you're waiting for them damn COD's to get completed at stops you could use that time to arrange your truck as well

Just by spending 5 minutes during the route arranging your truck you may actually be saving yourself more than 5 minutes of time, eventually

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
... I come up with humility and you call me a schmuck? Go to hell then. ...

NativeRapture - You have to understand - You are speaking with DannyBoy. Having a discussion with DannyBoy is like having a discussion with RainMan - factually he is usually correct, but he has what I call vacuum people skills; not only does he have none, he sucks the life out of yours as well.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear native

unless you post you are a woman, black, asian, mexican, blind in one eye, or just plain ugly, i dont see how anyone is able to "read" it in your posts.

further more, i dont see it as having a damn thing to do with the discussion at hand. i have known as many good female drivers as i have known bad ones. just like the guys. so your equipment package means nothing to me.

a for you being "trained and told" to be on the package car as part of your training, that puts a totally different spin on the story.

they are training and telling you wrong. just as wrong as it they had told you not to wear your seat belt to speed up deliveries.

I realize that there are better ways to do my job, and will continually strive to find them and work towards them.
you shouldnt have to find a better way on your own, they should have been taught to you.

the issue i had with your post is where you continually stated you are doing things your way, and will do it the right way later. as a shop steward, i have represented a lot of drivers that were doing it their way instead of the right way.

bad delivery habits are very hard to unlearn. kinda like quitting smoking. and a lot of people think that you can partially do it with both. not going to happen.

glad they are not riding you, it sounded from the earlier posts that they had been.

slow is one thing. working your butt off, running around like a lost chicken, lots of wasted movement, those are the killers that drivers, even those with 10 years or more, have and think they are doing a good job when in fact its not.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
so your equipment package means nothing to me?

Does that mean what I think it means?:happy2:

Hey d, I was just guessing that nrapture was a chick, because you keep referring to her as a boy/man. No biggie, you're right that there is no difference. All should work the same.......On the clock and safely.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Oh, I agree with you Danny. I know. There is a side door into the argument of the drivers being pissed at the steward. Steward goes to mgt, Joe Blow is working, you need to adjust the time card to reflect the new start time.

All the steward needs to do is make sure all drivers know that anyone starting early will be given the same treatment. Mgt will get pissed quick enough at having to adjust time cards for every driver. Mgt will put a stop to it. Reverse psychology.

Its not my job to kick drivers off of the dock, its my job to insure that if a driver is on the dock he will get paid for it. Its amazing that i can go without touching a package in the morning before start time and still out work load massagers and beat them back to the building at night with more work done.

I understand that Red.

I hilighted the red because after reading it again it didn't sound right to me. What I meant is that the steward needed to let drivers know that they would be given the same courtesy (forcing mgt to change start times). This should take the pressure off the steward and put it directly where it should be ----- on mgt.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Just curious, are ****************** necessary? I could care less if you use these words as they are a reflection on you and your lack of a vocabulary, but there may be some members here who may take offense so do us a favor and clean up the language.

You would be amazed at how much more effective your posts would be if you avoided the curse words--people may actually read them.
.....My posts are effective........I'll NEVER BS ya driver ........I tell it like it is,strait from the heart.....I'm all about showing my true colors and am appalled when others are fake and do not ....I drive a tractor trailer. Every other word that exits my mouth is the friend bomb as is with all of the guys I work with at feeders. ..........And if you supposedly cared less if I used the language whats with your plastic man political correctness? If you are offended by language then don't read ANY of my future posts . Its as simple as that. CLASSIC EXAMPLE---- It's the same with TV....If u are offended with something that you are watching just change the channel. Don't be a panzy and phone the friend.C.C and ruin it for those who appreciate life in its purest form.....

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Apparently you don't know how bonus works driver. I never "worked for free" as you called it. Its a situation of having 6 of one and a half a dozen of another. I sorted for 45 minutes and was on the truck for 8 hours and 30 minutes and was paid for 9 hours and 15 minutes VS sorting for 0 minutes and being on the truck for 9 hours and 15 minutes sorting and delivering misloads off area. All I did was make my start time 45 minutes earlier. Both situations paid me for 9 hours and 15 minutes(actually bonus was always more time than I spent sorting). The first example shows up as production bonus on your check and the second example shows up as overtime. Both are at time and a half and bonus hours and overtime hours DO NOT count towards your yearly total for pension benefit credit. Does this now make sense? I hope it does because I don't think I could spell it out any clearer. I think you need some remedial math classes driver.

If I had sorted for the 45 minutes and not gotten the bonus ....yes....that would have been working for free.And as far as buying my house further away from work as opposed to closer........ closer would have been in the same congested area that I have lived my previous 33 years ......I moved further away to get away from congestion.........where there is people there is problems.......I took the package car job back in the day knowing its wasn't for me. I bit the bullet and did what I had to do at the time. When the opportunity knocked I answered the door and upgraded my life 100 fold. Now I punch in minutes before my start time ....go to work at my start time and work a 9 hour day and do 1 stop then punch out and go home. no muss no fuss. You know....driver ...... I've got a real drivers job:laughing:

Last edited:

stringerman85

Apparently you don't know how bonus works driver. I never "worked for free" as you called it. Its a situation of having 6 of one and a half a dozen of another. I sorted for 45 minutes and was on the truck for 8 hours and 30 minutes and was paid for 9 hours and 15 minutes VS sorting for 0 minutes and being on the truck for 9 hours and 15 minutes sorting and delivering misloads off area. All I did was make my start time 45 minutes earlier. Both situations paid me for 9 hours and 15 minutes(actually bonus was always more time than I spent sorting). The first example shows up as production bonus on your check and the second example shows up as overtime. Both are at time and a half and bonus hours and overtime hours DO NOT count towards your yearly total for pension benefit credit. Does this now make sense? I hope it does because I don't think I could spell it out any clearer. I think you need some remedial math classes driver.

If I had sorted for the 45 minutes and not gotten the bonus ....yes....that would have been working for free.And as far as buying my house further away from work as opposed to closer........ closer would have been in the same congested area that I have lived my previous 33 years ......I moved further away to get away from congestion.........where there is people there is problems.......I took the package car job back in the day knowing its wasn't for me. I bit the bullet and did what I had to do at the time. When the opportunity knocked I answered the door and upgraded my life 100 fold. Now I punch in minutes before my start time ....go to work at my start time and work a 9 hour day and do 1 stop then punch out and go home. no muss no fuss. You know....driver ...... I've got a real drivers job:laughing:

If you're not clearly working for free then you have nothing to argue about... They allow you to change your start time? Kinda surprising, Thought it would be against the rules.......All I was saying is you can make time during the day to sort your truck out, Even if it's 5 to 10 minutes, You can always make it up later, Ya know?

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
If you're not clearly working for free then you have nothing to argue about... They allow you to change your start time? Kinda surprising, Thought it would be against the rules.......All I was saying is you can make time during the day to sort your truck out, Even if it's 5 to 10 minutes, You can always make it up later, Ya know?
I'm with you driver. I think you took me the wrong way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

.....My posts are effective........I'll NEVER BS ya driver ........I tell it like it is,strait from the heart.....I'm all about showing my true colors and am appalled when others are fake and do not ....I drive a tractor trailer. Every other word that exits my mouth is the friend bomb as is with all of the guys I work with at feeders. ..........And if you supposedly cared less if I used the language whats with your plastic man political correctness? If you are offended by language then don't read ANY of my future posts . Its as simple as that. CLASSIC EXAMPLE---- It's the same with TV....If u are offended with something that you are watching just change the channel. Don't be a panzy and phone the friend.C.C and ruin it for those who appreciate life in its purest form.....

You can tell a lot about a man by the words that he chooses to use.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
All I did was make my start time 45 minutes earlier

the issue is not that you got paid the same because you are on bonus, the issue is you changed your start time. therefore you are not working off the clock, you are on the clock.

now, if you did not change your start time because you are expecting the bonus to make up the difference, you are working off the clock.

please note, i did not say you are working for free. i understand bonus. but you are working off the clock, and as such leave yourself wide open for a lot of things, not any of which are good.

besides, the company has a policy, and a statement in the contract that they will not allow you do work off the clock.

d

besides, the company has a policy, and a statement in the contract that they will not allow you do work off the clock.
That's correct, the company policy and the contract make working off the clock (even though some do it) illegal, immoral and fattening.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Did you actually change the start time in the board? By reading what you wrote it sounds like you are trying to explain that since you made bonus on the end of your day in essence you were paid for massaging your load. Which is still working for free in my books.

I know how bonus is made and i believe we should eliminate it totally, but i also know plenty of drivers that make bonus and never touch a package before start time.