On this Day

texan

In Major League Baseball, the designated hitter is a hitter who does not play a position, but instead fills in the batting order for the pitcher.
Not that I agree, it is a rule they came up with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In Major League Baseball, the designated hitter is a hitter who does not play a position, but instead fills in the batting order for the pitcher. Not that I agree, it is a rule they came up with.

The rule was implemented to bring more offense to the games by taking the bat out of the pitcher's hands. I disagree with the rule for several reasons the primary being that it is not the way the game was meant to be played.

P

pickup

Atlantis sunk into the sea.

The moon was pulled into permanent orbit by Arcturian Spaceships.

Apes were genetically modified to create homo sapiens.

Satan was smacked by God and some Angels and fell hard to Earth.

I could go on but I am probably bothering you all.

texan

On this day 12 January 1969, quarterback Joe Namath leads the New York Jets to a stunning 16-7 victory over the heavily
favored Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III, held in Miami.

texan

On this day 12 Jan 1995, Qubilah Shabazz, the daughter of Malcom X, is arrested for conspiring to kill Louis Farrakhan.
Shabazz believed that Farrakhan was responsible for the assassination of her father in 1965, and sought to exact
revenge through a hired killer. Subsequently, Shabazz admitted her "responsibility," but not her guilt of the
charges, and the government accepted a plea bargain.

texan

On this day in 2010, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake devastates the Caribbean island nation of Haiti. The quake, which
was the strongest to strike the region in more than 200 years, left over 200,000 people dead and some
895,000 Haitians homeless.

texan

On this day Jan 12 1932, Ophelia Wyatt Caraway, a Democrat from Arkanas, becomes the first woman to be elected
to the U.S. Senate. Caraway, born near Bakerville, TN, had been appointed to the Senate two months earlier
to fill the vacancy left by her late husband, Thaddeus Horatio Caraway.

texan

On this day 12 Jan 1981, Dynasty premieres on ABC. The oil tycoon Blake Carrington (John Forsythe) prepares to
marry his former secretary, the beautiful and innocent Krystle (Linda Evans), in the three-hour television movie that
kicks off the prime-time ABC soap opera Dynasty on this day in 1981.

texan

On this day, 13 Jan On this day in 1962, Ernie Kovacs, a comedian who hosted his own television shows
during the 1950s and is said to have influenced such TV hosts as Johnny Carson and David Letterman, dies
at the age of 42 after crashing his Chevrolet Corvair into a telephone pole in LA, while driving in a rainstorm.