"On Topic" Change... Real Change with Integrity

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And the sort sups and ORS don't know the safety of the building any more than most hourlies, though I knew you'd pose your post that way. It's funny how little most of our supervisors know, especially the highly rotated ones. I would say PE, locally in bulding, knows the ins and outs of actual "safety" more than most.
I'm not discounting the knowledge of hourlies. You guys are the ones doing the job everyday. I'm talking about decisions. There are things you guys bring to us that make sense, but we can't touch it because corporate says it has to be that way.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm not discounting the knowledge of hourlies. You guys are the ones doing the job everyday. I'm talking about decisions. There are things you guys bring to us that make sense, but we can't touch it because corporate says it has to be that way.
Can you provide an example?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Who you choose to ignore on the BC is your business but please try not to ignore truths about yourself if they are ever revealed to you. That goes for all of us!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Ok. Can you give me an example of what you are talking about and how this might look in your situation?
Here is a doozy we went through after a Keter audit last year.

We had adequate egress per the company on our belt. One way we wanted to enhance it was by putting platforms in the middle of everyone's set. So if you had a 3 car set, you had a platform in the middle. It had the added benefit of being a thought in the back of someone's head as their middle car.

Keter came and said "You can't do that. You needs platforms along the whole belt." So we said fine, we will ditch them. Because it was a small building, you couldn't park everything inside safely with platforms along the entire belt. 1000 cubes would be right at the walls. But nope, Keter told us we now needed to put platforms along the whole belt. So we did. And you know what happened? Our accidents by insiders soared. They were threading a needle putting these cars in the building.

Safety my ass. We evaluate safety by signed documents and regurgitating words rather than actions. When we had our Keter the auditor spent 45 minutes between preload, local sort, and drivers asking DOK. And 5 minutes watching each operation in action. Glad a good snapshot was gained with that.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Here is a doozy we went through after a Keter audit last year.

We had adequate egress per the company on our belt. One way we wanted to enhance it was by putting platforms in the middle of everyone's set. So if you had a 3 car set, you had a platform in the middle. It had the added benefit of being a thought in the back of someone's head as their middle car.

Keter came and said "You can't do that. You needs platforms along the whole belt." So we said fine, we will ditch them. Because it was a small building, you couldn't park everything inside safely with platforms along the entire belt. 1000 cubes would be right at the walls. But nope, Keter told us we now needed to put platforms along the whole belt. So we did. And you know what happened? Our accidents by insiders soared. They were threading a needle putting these cars in the building.

Safety my ass. We evaluate safety by signed documents and regurgitating words rather than actions. When we had our Keter the auditor spent 45 minutes between preload, local sort, and drivers asking DOK. And 5 minutes watching each operation in action. Glad a good snapshot was gained with that.
How did the platforms enhance egress? Why did you want to enhance it when it was already adequate ?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yeah and the safety guys worry more about whether or not the cool solutions page is signed and rostered than those sort sups allowing unsafe actions.
Who is responsible to hold the sort sups accountable to doing their jobs to ensure safe work methods are followed?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
How did the platforms enhance egress? Why did you want to enhance it when it was already adequate ?
They gave our guys extra room to put the freaking furniture sets we allow in our system. Prior to that we had to have a bulk car at the end of the belt to put the oversized pieces in and then re-run them at the end of the sort.

Here's a safety tip. Build a new building for centers who have outgrown their building before we even allowed over 70s/oversized boxes. Because egress probably wasn't an issue when we really were a small package company.