On Topic: Maintenance with Integrity

Dr.Brownz

Package cars are the worst. Pee bottles, trash, half eaten sangwich, found some chicken bones in one. Empty cans of Monster, etc, etc, etc. The. There is a general layer of dirt(?) on most of the facility.

Its all dirt and diesel fumes. Everywhere. 20 years worth constantly raining down from the rafters

Fenris

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Work Related Issue: Maintenance with Integrity

I have noticed many things broken and the general condition of buildings that I have been in are very, very dirty.

I have noticed the same things broken for long periods of times.

UPS calls the department in charge of maintaining and cleaning the buildings the Plant Engineering Dept.

Do you think the Plant Engineering Department in your area maintains and cleans the Building with Integrity or not?

I

PE Pro,

Please define dirty and broken. If it doesn't work it gets fixed. If it makes a noise, is scuffed, wobbles, etc. but is functional, it gets prioritized. What is dirty - paint that is old and packing peanuts on the floor in between porter shifts, floor not polished to a lustrous sheen? We don't clean the building like we used to because it is not really necessary to be able to eat off the floor. BTW, operations is actually responsible to clean the operational areas after each sort. Their supplies, pallets, equipment should be stowed and a brief sweeping should take place.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I can't speak for every building but in ours which is a large hub, its just old. Yet the company adds to it instead of replacing it. You can't polish a turd, its still a turd. I am not PE I am a mechanic in automotive but we are fairly close with the PE guys in our building and I can tell you this, they are spread super thin. These guys may do some cleaning here and there but in a building of this size they rarely have time for it, they spend the majority of their time doing preventative maintenance and repairs. There is a housecleaning staff but what do you know? They're spread thin aswell. The problem isn't necessarily a "what are you guys doing wrong?" or a "what can we change with the staff we have on hand?" type issue, the issue is you don't have enough staff to reach the goals you want to reach. There are plenty of hourlies that don't care but there are a lot that do, and they are limited in what they can do even if they push themselves as hard as possible because the truth is, in many areas the workload has exceeded the capacity of any one individual in many areas/departments.

okeydoke

Need duct tape?
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Work Related Issue: Maintenance with Integrity

I have noticed many things broken and the general condition of buildings that I have been in are very, very dirty.

I have noticed the same things broken for long periods of times.

UPS calls the department in charge of maintaining and cleaning the buildings the Plant Engineering Dept.

Do you think the Plant Engineering Department in your area maintains and cleans the Building with Integrity or not?

I
Last time you opened a thread like this you did not give a definitive answer when questioned. If you aren't going to give a precise answer, then don't ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Can't say I've ever witnessed anything being cleaned before my eyes in the building. There is evidence of it in the bathrooms and on the building floors (where the machine can go), but apart from that none. I do my own dusting of my area.

Integrity

Binge Poster
PE Pro,

Please define dirty and broken. If it doesn't work it gets fixed. If it makes a noise, is scuffed, wobbles, etc. but is functional, it gets prioritized. What is dirty - paint that is old and packing peanuts on the floor in between porter shifts, floor not polished to a lustrous sheen? We don't clean the building like we used to because it is not really necessary to be able to eat off the floor. BTW, operations is actually responsible to clean the operational areas after each sort. Their supplies, pallets, equipment should be stowed and a brief sweeping should take place.
Most of this post is fantasy and not reality.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I can't speak for every building but in ours which is a large hub, its just old. Yet the company adds to it instead of replacing it. You can't polish a turd, its still a turd. I am not PE I am a mechanic in automotive but we are fairly close with the PE guys in our building and I can tell you this, they are spread super thin. These guys may do some cleaning here and there but in a building of this size they rarely have time for it, they spend the majority of their time doing preventative maintenance and repairs. There is a housecleaning staff but what do you know? They're spread thin aswell. The problem isn't necessarily a "what are you guys doing wrong?" or a "what can we change with the staff we have on hand?" type issue, the issue is you don't have enough staff to reach the goals you want to reach. There are plenty of hourlies that don't care but there are a lot that do, and they are limited in what they can do even if they push themselves as hard as possible because the truth is, in many areas the workload has exceeded the capacity of any one individual in many areas/departments.

I wonder does under staffing maintenance personnel violate any employees rights?

Integrity

Binge Poster
That's my point. Keter is like OSHA without the possibility of a fine. Why wouldnt UPS love this setup?
Keter doesn't keep OSHA completely out.

The agreement can partially limit OSHA inspections but demoralized, fearful employees who won't exercise their rights are the only ones that can ultimately keep OSHA completely out.