On Topic New Driver Hire

mahlbowski

Good afternoon. I've resisted posting this question as I realize every center is different, but I would appreciate some insight as to the process of driving for UPS.

I attended driving school August 22-26. When I returned to my local center I was told I would receive a call in about two weeks regarding when I would start driving to begin my training and 30 day probationary period. I was called in the next week which I thought was a good sign. Since then (the beginning of September) I have been working very infrequently. There have been weeks where I have worked three days, two days, and several weeks of no work at all. I am including pre-sort work in this as well.

If I don't get called in to drive I was told to call in at 4:00 PM to see if they needed me for pre-sort. I have done this every single day I was not driving and was not brought in once. One day they called me at 5:00 (after I called in at 4:00 and was told not to come in) and they requested I be there by 5:45 to work the pre-sort. I only worked until about 8:00 as a supervisor told me I would be driving the next morning.

This morning I called in at 7:00 AM and was told to come in to drive. When I arrived at the facility at 8:00 I saw that I missed a call from my supervisor. I called him back and he stated that due to a situation (that he did not elaborate on) they would not need me today.

My question is; is this type of schedule normal for new-hires? I feel that I am being patient regarding this situation, but the lack of work (and money) is becoming a concern for me. At this rate it will take me months to get 30 days in, and once I do who knows what will happen then.

PT Car Washer

Good afternoon. I've resisted posting this question as I realize every center is different, but I would appreciate some insight as to the process of driving for UPS.

I attended driving school August 22-26. When I returned to my local center I was told I would receive a call in about two weeks regarding when I would start driving to begin my training and 30 day probationary period. I was called in the next week which I thought was a good sign. Since then (the beginning of September) I have been working very infrequently. There have been weeks where I have worked three days, two days, and several weeks of no work at all. I am including pre-sort work in this as well.

If I don't get called in to drive I was told to call in at 4:00 PM to see if they needed me for pre-sort. I have done this every single day I was not driving and was not brought in once. One day they called me at 5:00 (after I called in at 4:00 and was told not to come in) and they requested I be there by 5:45 to work the pre-sort. I only worked until about 8:00 as a supervisor told me I would be driving the next morning.

This morning I called in at 7:00 AM and was told to come in to drive. When I arrived at the facility at 8:00 I saw that I missed a call from my supervisor. I called him back and he stated that due to a situation (that he did not elaborate on) they would not need me today.

My question is; is this type of schedule normal for new-hires? I feel that I am being patient regarding this situation, but the lack of work (and money) is becoming a concern for me. At this rate it will take me months to get 30 days in, and once I do who knows what will happen then.
Can't speak for everywhere, but at least in my building vacations have slowed down and with the Fall weather and temps there are a lot less call ins. Two months ago you would have been working everyday. Don't see work picking up much until Nov.

rss13

I was hired about a year and a half ago and I haven't been working much. Even during vacation season I only got out a few times a week. My biggest checks were vacation week's this year.

optikz

I was hired about a year and a half ago and I haven't been working much. Even during vacation season I only got out a few times a week. My biggest checks were vacation week's this year.
are you a full time driver? or temporary car driver?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Similar situation for me. The only difference is that I show up every morning for preload. Our center is very vague as to time guesstimates for driving. Recently one of our reg temps was promoted full-time which opened up a slot for me so I'll see more road time.

In general, UPS communication leaves something to be desired.

rss13

are you a full time driver? or temporary car driver?
We had 2 guys from another local transfer to our center and knocked 4 or 5 of us down in seniority. I am at the bottom of the seniority list for full time drivers.

mahlbowski

Similar situation for me. The only difference is that I show up every morning for preload. Our center is very vague as to time guesstimates for driving. Recently one of our reg temps was promoted full-time which opened up a slot for me so I'll see more road time.

In general, UPS communication leaves something to be desired.
Agreed! I have worked as a Project Manager and supervisor for the past 9 years at two universities and I have never worked with "supervisors" who appear so out of the loop on the needs of the center. However, this is my first experience working for a business so who am I to judge?

Also, I am missing two paychecks (from late August and the first week of September) and HR directed me to my supervisor, he never replied to me when I brought this up. I then went to the front office to sort this out (got called in this morning to drive, then my supervisor called me when I was in the parking lot and told me I was not needed so I figured I would stop it anyway to resolve the paycheck issue.) The front office told me to speak with my supervisor, but to check back with them if he could not help. I spoke with him and he appeared upset that I was even asking him about missing paychecks (he asked who in HR and the front office told me to talk to him.) I then went back to the front office and the women there stated they were sent to my home address (direct deposit had not yet been completed) and that I should have received them. I told her I did not, she called someone else and they verified that two checks were not cashed. She then took my information down and called me later in the day to let me know they would be reissuing the checks. When I asked her if they would be direct deposited or sent via mail as physical checks she replied "that's a good question, I should have asked that."

Between two paychecks that I never received, lack of communication, and the lack of work available (still am at least 15 days away from the 30 day mark) I am having serious concerns about this as a viable career choice. I have over 10 years of consistent employment and a masters degree and I'm feeling like none of that matters as I was hired off the street. I'm really making an effort to learn, be patient, and perform well (when I am working) but I'm nervous this isn't the best choice.

I'm wondering how anyone who isn't 21 with no other responsibilities can manage this? I'm 33 with a wife and two kids and I have no idea how this will work out.

Last edited:

optikz

We had 2 guys from another local transfer to our center and knocked 4 or 5 of us down in seniority. I am at the bottom of the seniority list for full time drivers.
does your center have a lot of cover drivers working now? I'm curious because i was just hired as a full time driver off the street but the center I'm going to be working for has quite a few temporary drivers running routes. from my understanding, I'll come in with more seniority than them. I guess it's different at every center.

rss13

does your center have a lot of cover drivers working now? I'm curious because i was just hired as a full time driver off the street but the center I'm going to be working for has quite a few temporary drivers running routes. from my understanding, I'll come in with more seniority than them. I guess it's different at every center.
If they are temporary drivers and you have established seniority, they cannot be working ahead of you as a full time driver.

We have maybe 8-10 non-bid route drivers and there are 3 or 4 of us that don't drive every day. A few of us go weeks without driving.

PT Car Washer

Agreed! I have worked as a Project Manager and supervisor for the past 9 years at two universities and I have never worked with "supervisors" who appear so out of the loop on the needs of the center. However, this is my first experience working for a business so who am I to judge?

Also, I am missing two paychecks (from late August and the first week of September) and HR directed me to my supervisor, he never replied to me when I brought this up. I then went to the front office to sort this out (got called in this morning to drive, then my supervisor called me when I was in the parking lot and told me I was not needed so I figured I would stop it anyway to resolve the paycheck issue.) The front office told me to speak with my supervisor, but to check back with them if he could not help. I spoke with him and he appeared upset that I was even asking him about missing paychecks (he asked who in HR and the front office told me to talk to him.) I then went back to the front office and the women there stated they were sent to my home address (direct deposit had not yet been completed) and that I should have received them. I told her I did not, she called someone else and they verified that two checks were not cashed. She then took my information down and called me later in the day to let me know they would be reissuing the checks. When I asked her if they would be direct deposited or sent via mail as physical checks she replied "that's a good question, I should have asked that."

Between two paychecks that I never received, lack of communication, and the lack of work available (still am at least 15 days away from the 30 day mark) I am having serious concerns about this as a viable career choice. I have over 10 years of consistent employment and a masters degree and I'm feeling like none of that matters as I was hired off the street. I'm really making an effort to learn, be patient, and perform well (when I am working) but I'm nervous this isn't the best choice.

I'm wondering how anyone who isn't 21 with no other responsibilities can manage this? I'm 33 with a wife and two kids and I have no idea how this will work out.
It takes a Master's Degree to deliver boxes? I am thinking you may be over qualified. At least you are getting a good look at how we do business and it only gets worse.