"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

Nimnim

The Nim
A helper is supposed to make a driver's day easier. Now you expect him to not smoke for hours because you don't like the.smell? I hope he dropped you back off at your meet point and left...lol

Company policy, however loosely enforced it is is not to smoke in the PC. The OP stated an allergy to smoke, I don't see asking the driver not to smoke an unreasonable request, a pain to the driver maybe but not unreasonable.

Oh I agree. And I am unfortunately still a smoker. But I do not submit a helper to it, if I have one that it would bother. I just dont smoke. Now that wont kill me will it?

Thank you for being a member of the considerate smoker club, I'm sure you've still had to deal with people who go out of their way to bother you about smoking though.

If for whatever the reason the driver is unable to refrain from smoking with someone who has a medical issue, not just a comfort issue, around then steps should be taken to pair the helper with a better suited driver.

edit pair not paid in the last part

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thank you for all of the replies. I truly appreciate the positive advice given to me. I woke up at 4:30AM and am in the middle of getting ready to call in at 6AM to see where I am posted today. I am eager to work and I enjoy being outside delivering packages.
I am going to take the advice and request a driver who is a non-smoker. I am not working to get anyone in trouble or snitch on anyone, I bust my ass for the drivers when I work, not only is it law as I have found out in Massachusetts but it's my right to a safe workplace.

Yes, I did not do my homework in regards to the law before hand. But now I know thanks to some kind posters here and I thank you for helping me.

I would like to clarify something, I have several severe allergies and when I am exposed to cigarette smoke my eyes flush with tears, my breathing becomes very difficult, I start to sneeze almost uncontrollably and my nose runs like a river. This has nothing to do with being "whiny" and not liking the smell of the smoke. The smoke is very dangerous to me. That is what I meant when I said I presented medical documentation to the HR person when I was hired. It says clearly on there how detrimental to my health the smoke is. I assumed HR would be professional and pair me with non-smoking drivers. I guessed they missed it - or dismissed it as not serious even though the documentation was right in front of them from my doctor.

After about an hour of trying to endure the smoke, I literally could not catch my breath and I demanded the driver stop the car or I was going to call 911. Please remember I had already asked him to return me to the pickup point less than a mile after getting picked up and he refused saying he needed me or he would be out till 11PM. I was on the verge of panic that is why I had to threaten 911, I have passed out in the past due to allergic reactions and I knew I was on that road. This finally got his attention and he stopped and I just got out to breathe. I then asked to be taken back to where he picked me up and he refused, told me to ":censored2: off bitch you are blacklisted just like the last 7 I had", then peeled away leaving me on the side of the road. d to catch my breath and then call my

I am not here to fight other poster a 9 hoir day withs or snitch on drivers, even as one as profoundly stupid as this one. He was out there trying to provide for his family and so am I. I bust my ass for the drivers and I take pride in getting the job done as fast as possible for them so we can both go home sooner. It's not out of line to demand a safe work environment.
Your original post said you worked a 9 hour day with the smoking driver. This post says you were only in the truck about an hour, before he pulled over and let you out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
One of the drivers at my center uses a ecig and loves it, I personally couldn't get through my day of work without Mountain Dew and dip lol
It's better than nothing when you can't smoke...but it's still not the same...lol. I've used it several times when I've double shifted as a helper with a non smoking driver.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Must have got your feelings hurt since my last post was deleted. Hope you can find a driver that doesn't offend, intimidate, or otherwise bother you for some reason or other for the next week. Merry Xmas and good luck to you.
When I was leaving work today...they were having another helper orientation class...this late during peak. Helpers must be dropping like flies.

PT Car Washer

Chew brings up another issue. Guys that spit their juice on the drivers side step well and down the inside of the door and side window. now that is disgusting. Air driver picks a different truck everyday to gross out.

HardknocksUPSer

Chew brings up another issue. Guys that spit their juice on the drivers side step well and down the inside of the door and side window. now that is disgusting. Air driver picks a different truck everyday to gross out.
Tough titty said the kitty lol, I'm only a helper soo I don't really care, nobody else has to deal with the door I spit on

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They dont pay helpers enough to expect them to sit in a package car for 12 hours with someone who chain smokes.
The OP needs to call HR and get assigned to a different driver. Or quit and get a better job.