One dead as FBI arrests Oregon occupation leader, four others

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Four comments--

1. At the speed they were going their only recourse was to hit the ditch because no way in hell could they have seen that road block around that corner.
2. What a STUPID place to set up a road block.
3. I bet that idiot cop standing along side of his vehicle who just about got taken out won't do that again.
4. Why not use spike strips. You can't tell me none of those cops had them. It was a perfect road to use them on.
sloppy- sloppy- sloppy police work. Buford T Pusser sure didn't use any car for protection. He had to dive out of the way or get ran over. They are lucky a dozen cops weren't killed setting up that road block where they did. The Bundy truck could have very easily smashed into all those cop cars. Text book rookie mistakes.

You've been out of UPS for a decade and still feel the need to comment on current issues. I can understand still wanting to be a part of something that was so much of your life. Whatever. Stick to your memories of UPS, stay the hell out of law enforcement issues because you clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

I was a cop, a tactical officer, and instructor on high risk stops, and pursuits way longer than I have been at UPS so I do know what I AM talking about and I can tell you that from the video, that was a textbook stop. To address some of your issues, I have to refrain myself from calling you the idiot so that I can articulate my statements to you.

First, you weren't there nor was I so you don't know WHAT speed they were traveling. The point of the roadblock was to terminate the pursuit and if that meant having the police vehicles rammed or perp going into the ditch so be it. The pursuit would be teminated with hopefully little or no injury to the suspect, police, or other motoring public.

Second, that was a perfect spot for a roadblock as it offered a wide open area to the left, trees to the right, great distance before and after the staging area to keep bystanders and other vehicles away from as well as the added benefit of a blind corner so the perp couldn't see far enough ahead to plan an escape.

Third, that "idiot cop" was doing what he was trained to do and that was to take cover in the event the driver stopped and decided to engage the officers in gunfire. Most people stop for roadblocks whether for fear of hitting the vehicles, entering into a gunfight, or merely to surrender. Those that don't stop try to evade which the driver did at the very last moment. That "idiot cop" was way smarter than you are judging his actions. At least he had the foresight to think that the driver was going to ram the block and tried to get out the way of a vehicle in motion, at speed, hitting a stationary vehicle which he was standing behind. Any officer seeing those circumstances would have tried to get out of the way, and every officer would have been surprised by the suspect adding hard steering input.

Fourth, hard to believe I know, but not every cop has stop sticks on board. Some agencies only have limited sets and others only allow supervisors to deploy them. So to that until there is further revelations as to why they were not deployed, you should just stick to what you know.

And lastly, I can't even begin to quantify your last comment about a cop from the 60's, who really only served six years, who chased rum runners, gamblers, and whores as being the true figure of law enforcement and tactics. He was stabbed, beaten, and run down more than once because, as you so eloquently labeled the officer in the video, as an idiot, he too was an idiot and had no officer safety and training that was anywhere equal to the training and technology law enforcement officers today have.

I've said my peace and that's all I have to say about this.

rod

Retired 22 years
You've been out of UPS for a decade and still feel the need to comment on current issues. I can understand still wanting to be a part of something that was so much of your life. Whatever. Stick to your memories of UPS, stay the hell out of law enforcement issues because you clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

I was a cop, a tactical officer, and instructor on high risk stops, and pursuits way longer than I have been at UPS so I do know what I AM talking about and I can tell you that from the video, that was a textbook stop. To address some of your issues, I have to refrain myself from calling you the idiot so that I can articulate my statements to you.

First, you weren't there nor was I so you don't know WHAT speed they were traveling. The point of the roadblock was to terminate the pursuit and if that meant having the police vehicles rammed or perp going into the ditch so be it. The pursuit would be teminated with hopefully little or no injury to the suspect, police, or other motoring public.

Second, that was a perfect spot for a roadblock as it offered a wide open area to the left, trees to the right, great distance before and after the staging area to keep bystanders and other vehicles away from as well as the added benefit of a blind corner so the perp couldn't see far enough ahead to plan an escape.

Third, that "idiot cop" was doing what he was trained to do and that was to take cover in the event the driver stopped and decided to engage the officers in gunfire. Most people stop for roadblocks whether for fear of hitting the vehicles, entering into a gunfight, or merely to surrender. Those that don't stop try to evade which the driver did at the very last moment. That "idiot cop" was way smarter than you are judging his actions. At least he had the foresight to think that the driver was going to ram the block and tried to get out the way of a vehicle in motion, at speed, hitting a stationary vehicle which he was standing behind. Any officer seeing those circumstances would have tried to get out of the way, and every officer would have been surprised by the suspect adding hard steering input.

Fourth, hard to believe I know, but not every cop has stop sticks on board. Some agencies only have limited sets and others only allow supervisors to deploy them. So to that until there is further revelations as to why they were not deployed, you should just stick to what you know.

And lastly, I can't even begin to quantify your last comment about a cop from the 60's, who really only served six years, who chased rum runners, gamblers, and whores as being the true figure of law enforcement and tactics. He was stabbed, beaten, and run down more than once because, as you so eloquently labeled the officer in the video, as an idiot, he too was an idiot and had no officer safety and training that was anywhere equal to the training and technology law enforcement officers today have.

What does my being retired have to do with posting a comment on a "current events" thread? Are you related to Upstate? Take a chill pill there Muldoon or Sargent Friday or whoever you think you are.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

This was Well Said, explained beyond rebuttal, left no room for confusion, yet, the people will still reject the concept.

Too bad your message floated over their heads.

TOS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
yep , you cant be right if your protest is white. :)

Hey tieguy. How many armed black folks lately have taken over a federal facility with no consequences? I can't think of any. Plus, the cops and feds let this go on for quite awhile, and there are still occupiers at the reserve unless something has changed in the last day or so. The authorities have been extremely tolerant.

I know for the insane among us it's OK to pull stunts like Bundy & Co. Meanwhile, old man Cliven is still getting his free federal subsidy by illegally grazing his cattle on government land. I'd love for them to go in and take him away to prison so he can join the rest of his family.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Thanks. I come from a family of police (3 currently serving), and they were all praise for the OSP. Maybe Rod was looking for an OK Corral style shootout, which is what these fine officers skillfully avoided through use of superior tactics.

rod

Retired 22 years
Thanks. I come from a family of police (3 currently serving), and they were all praise for the OSP. Maybe Rod was looking for an OK Corral style shootout, which is what these fine officers skillfully avoided through use of superior tactics.

Apparently my idea of a good road block isn't the same as others. I still say the cop who was standing along side his vehicle instead of taking cover was an idiot and very lucky to not get creamed. There would have had an "OK Corral" type of ending if the bad guys had decided to ram the road block head on. I wonder how many cops would have been killed then?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Apparently my idea of a good road block isn't the same as others. I still say the cop who was standing along side his vehicle instead of taking cover was an idiot and very lucky to not get creamed. There would have had an "OK Corral" type of ending if the bad guys had decided to ram the road block head on. I wonder how many cops would have been killed then?
So you think they were "bad guys"?

rod

Retired 22 years
So you think they were "bad guys"?

Actually-- I'm not sure. I haven't followed this particular case close enough to say. I used the term bad guys when I probably shouldn't have. Maybe they were-maybe they weren't. I will say the government was wrong the way they handled the Ruby Ridge and the Branch Davidian situations and I feel that from watching the video the cops handled this roadblock wrong.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Actually-- I'm not sure. I haven't followed this particular case close enough to say. I used the term bad guys when I probably shouldn't have. Maybe they were-maybe they weren't. I will say the government was wrong the way they handled the Ruby Ridge and the Branch Davidian situations and I feel that from watching the video the cops handled this roadblock wrong.
Fair enough. That being said, the police have gotten a lot of publicity lately for the few instances where they handled things wrongly. Taken in context, I don't see anything wrong with pointing out those failures. If only people could point out those failures when they fall on the opposite side of their political aisle we'd be able to have a better conversation. Reading this thread and then going back and reviewing the Brown and Garner threads is enough to make my head spin.