One delivery attempt

DS

Fenderbender
We were told this morning's PCM that starting Sept 19th,
we will be making only one delivery attempt on sig req pkgs.
The cust then has five days to go to the closest UPS store
to pick it up.We were told there will be some exceptions,like
over 70's,cod's,and certain shippers.I found this unbelievable.
Has anyone else heard about this?

TheKid

Have not heard anything about it but I have been here almost 25 years. I have learned to expect anything from UPS.

satellitedriver

Sounds great to me. It would save a lot of driving on my rural route.

alwaysoverallowed

I haven't heard anything like this in the mid-atlantic region but I'm not surprised. I think UPS is trying to bring us down to the level of fed-ex ground and DR everything unless someone pays more for a signature. I'm sure there's some suit thinking this is a great idea; thinking it will save time and money by playing the odds against a claim. If this does happen imagine all the extra OT we'll get by DRing a bulk stop.

UPSGUY72

There a number of problems with that.

1. How are the customers going to know what UPS store to go to is UPS going to print up new and route specific delivery notices.
2. The shipper pays for 3 attempts if we make one and then return it to the shipper they are going to request a refund.
3. Each UPS store is independently owned I can't see any of them agreeing with this unless they are getting payed.
4. You sheet it Ni1 the first day, Then the UPS store signs for it the 2 day ??. If the customer picks it up do they sign for it again ??, what happens when the customer doesn't pick it up and it already been signed for.

So we go to the the house the first day nobody home, the second day we deliver it to the ups store, 5 days (working or just 5 days) later we go back to the UPS store pick it and send it back to the shipper?? That three trips not saving any money.

UPSGUY72

I haven't heard anything like this in the mid-atlantic region but I'm not surprised. I think UPS is trying to bring us down to the level of fed-ex ground and DR everything unless someone pays more for a signature. I'm sure there's some suit thinking this is a great idea; thinking it will save time and money by playing the odds against a claim. If this does happen imagine all the extra OT we'll get by DRing a bulk stop.

They do pay more for a signature required.

klein

Für Meno :)
Maybe that explains why my last info notice told me to call 1800 pickups after the first attempt ?
Thought that was weirrd !

Could well be it's comming. I'll try to get deliveries thru the post office or purolater now..... they are both across the street at my 7/11 store, and they do fedex there, too ! - no ups though.

HomeDelivery

the purple side has been doing this for a few months now... it's an OPTION for the customer after the first info-notice to have it either picked up from the hub or from their nearest FedEx Office (used to be kinko's) store... or just call the # for a later definitive delivery day where they'll surely be home waiting for the sig-required parcel

the 3 attempts is the default if the customer doesn't call

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

We have already been doing this sans only one delivery attempt. I deliver to a UPS store and have seen address corrected packages with notes "hold for customer" on the side with my regular UPS store deliveries. UPS stores have recently offered a "one time" use fee for customers wanting to get packages address corrected to the store. I think the charge at mine was 5bucks if I remember correctly. UPS is just trying to get a piece of the pie now. As far as one attempt, I have not heard that.

DS

Fenderbender
There a number of problems with that.

1. How are the customers going to know what UPS store to go to is UPS going to print up new and route specific delivery notices.
We were told that no customer will have to drive more than 5km to get their pkg
2. The shipper pays for 3 attempts if we make one and then return it to the shipper they are going to request a refund.
Apparently this is changing,
3. Each UPS store is independently owned I can't see any of them agreeing with this unless they are getting payed.
I'm guessing here,but they will probably get paid well to deal with all the pissed off customers.
I just think that they will be inundated with more packages than they've ever seen

4. You sheet it Ni1 the first day, Then the UPS store signs for it the 2 day ??. If the customer picks it up do they sign for it again ??, what happens when the customer doesn't pick it up and it already been signed for.
No,if the cust is not home,the driver drops off his send agains at the ups store,or meets a driver who does,
they do not have to sign for it.It gets a scan as a will call.

TheDick

we were told this morning's pcm that starting sept 19th,
The cust then has five days to go to the closest ups store
to pick it up.we were told there will be some exceptions,like
over 70's,cod's,and certain shippers.i found this unbelievable.

great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
So what is next? Everything is held at the building and a 28 cent post card is sent out or a phone call is made to the customer to tell him to pick up his package? Just think of the money UPS could save not having to employee all those useless delivery drivers----they would just need a few pick up account drivers. I swear a little bit more of the company goes down the toliet every day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Based on the limited information given here I do not like this new "service" offering. I do understand the economics behind the decision but it not always about the bottom line.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Based on the limited information given here I do not like this new "service" offering. I do understand the economics behind the decision but it not always about the bottom line.
No, it's always about the bottom line. In this instance though I agree, it could adversely affect the bottom line in the long run.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It makes a lot of sense to me, in the town where I deliver no one is more than 3-4 miles from the UPS store. Someone gets home after work, reads the note, and drives down to the UPS store to pick up their package instead of having to wait til the next day when they either take some time off work just so they can be home to sign for the package or make some arrangement with a neighbor.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I live 30 miles from a UPS store. I doubt anyone here would want to be on the other end of the phone, I.e. The center manager or DM, if I have to drive that after ONE delivery attempt. Someone will be driving back out for another attempt.