One delivery attempt

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I had to pay a DR claim 22 years ago due to the fact that I was in a hurry and wanted to make service so i DR'd to an apartment. It cost me $250 ,and ever since i will not make an improper DR,period. I dont cotton to buying people i dont know nice things.
I dont worry about paid send agains and if they make me to go back reattempt I will with no complaints,i'll cry all the way to the bank

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There are really nice apartments around me that i DR to the front door (outside common walk way). I use my judgement. If its a small amazon box ill leave it. Any kind of electronic or if it looks expensive (i read who its coming from) i won't leave it. I go back and forth on this. I really want to just get rid of the package but then again i ask myself what if one comes up missing. I have talked to the neighbors and they told me they always take other peoples packages and place them inside when i drop them. There is still a feeling in my gut that says "stop leaving them." I think i need to listen to that feeling more often.

Fitting username.

Indecisi0n

I don't like send agains and this sometimes leads to poor decisions on my part. I don't get a ton of claims but the few that I do are for apartment DR's.

And what happens to you?

I see it going like this:

Manager: This wasn't a DR area so i am writing you up.
Me: (nothing to say because he is right)

whenIgetthere

It makes a lot of sense to me, in the town where I deliver no one is more than 3-4 miles from the UPS store. Someone gets home after work, reads the note, and drives down to the UPS store to pick up their package instead of having to wait til the next day when they either take some time off work just so they can be home to sign for the package or make some arrangement with a neighbor.

My Fedex route is around our station, but while the route is 90% business/retail, I have an area of residentials. When I 08 (send again) a resi package, no one ever pick their packages up at the station, and the furthest any of these resi's is from the staion is a mile. So I don't think one attempt is viable for UPS (or Fedex for that matter). The majority of the public are just too lazy for such a thing to work.

TUT

My Fedex route is around our station, but while the route is 90% business/retail, I have an area of residentials. When I 08 (send again) a resi package, no one ever pick their packages up at the station, and the furthest any of these resi's is from the staion is a mile. So I don't think one attempt is viable for UPS (or Fedex for that matter). The majority of the public are just too lazy for such a thing to work.

Especially since we already had it more convenient. Yet another case of America going backwards. These companies imo have to also fight against not letting that happen. You don't encourage regression.

HomeDelivery

That is what is getting me, we have two carriers that have fee's for Residential and Signatures, but they seem they really rather not do them. The why even offer? Or raise their rates to the point they want to again. As for Fedex, from my understanding it is still 3 attempts, however the shipper/recipient have the opportunity to direct a package to Fedex Office for Hold (5 days) at no cost. Ground didn't have that available roughly 6-9 months ago. Express has had it but at the station level.

this... I've seen the new "sorry we missed you" doortags with this option & since we don't get paid any money for the 3 failed delivery attempts, it's better this way for all of us.

PS: I also have to deliver to UPS stores as well as FedEx office (ex-kinko's) stores. but on the package label, it won't say it's going to a UPS store, just a POBOX # below the store address... :knockedout:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this... I've seen the new "sorry we missed you" doortags with this option & since we don't get paid any money for the 3 failed delivery attempts, it's better this way for all of us.

PS: I also have to deliver to UPS stores as well as FedEx office (ex-kinko's) stores. but on the package label, it won't say it's going to a UPS store, just a POBOX # below the store address... :knockedout:

We have Canadian customers who will order pkgs through us for delivery to FedEx and vice versa. We walk in there knowing full well that they will be refused. The consignee will then call and ask that it be put on Will Call.

DS

Fenderbender
Well they did it today.Calling it a pilot project.
I think this is a BAD idea,but nobody cares what I think.
Page one of three...it's enough to get the gist.
I think this may be our downfall.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DS, is this particular UPS Store on your area? Are there many UPS Store locations served by your centre? Are the Info Notices driver specific--in other words, are the UPS Stores listed on the notice specific to each delivery area or is there one store being used for this "service"?

I can see the benefit for this program but I can also see where drivers will start to take chances with DR's rather than have to deal with bringing packages to the UPS Store.

I had a NDA for Staples yesterday. It was a Canadian customer who thought that Staples was a UPS Store and had his package sent there. Staples refused delivery. The consignee was in the center parking lot waiting for me when I came back to the building.

DS

Fenderbender
DS, is this particular UPS Store on your area? Are there many UPS Store locations served by your centre? Are the Info Notices driver specific--in other words, are the UPS Stores listed on the notice specific to each delivery area or is there one store being used for this "service"?
Yes to all these questions,except the first.This is just an example,I don't live in Montreal.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't see how this works. Does UPS have a new contract with the UPS stores? The owner of 1 of our local stores won't take anything for a customer that does not have a PMB in that store.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our local UPS store owner just closed the downtown store. The only one left is 5-8 miles from town heading north. Very inconvenient. Not to mention, she(the owner,Sheila) Hates the management and OMS' at our center. She's rich, too. So, unless they can force her, I just don't see her playing ball.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The UPS stores have been trained and informed of the new proceedures at UPS for handling send again packages or re routes. There are some exceptions to this program and i find it funny that UPS did not train us properly for them.

First, using the MY CHOICE program, the residential customers WILL NOT be able to re route alcohol to the UPS STORES. WINE is NOT allowed to be accepted by the UPS STORE. Its in the agreeement between UPS and the UPS stores.

Second, adult signature required 21 and over CANNOT be re routed to the UPS STORES, Its in the agreement between UPS and the UPS STORES.

Third, High Value packages of 5k or more CANNOT be re routed to the UPS STORES. Its in the areement between UPS and the UPS STORES.

Packages that are re routed to the UPS stores will be held there for 7 business days and then returned to UPS if not picked up. Packages that are damaged are NOT TO BE ACCEPTED by the UPS STORE when presented by the driver. Packages that are damaged in the care of the UPS store will be processed like this, a claim filed by the shipper, the first 250 dollars will be paid by UPS and the remaining amount to be paid by the UPS STORE. Packages that are lost or stolen while in the care of the UPS store will be processed like this: UPS may pay the claim to the shipper in its entirety, then collect/recover that amount from the UPS STORE via the CDV program.

If a center manager or supervisor told you that wine, guns and signature required packages could be re routed to the UPS store, then he doesnt know what he is talking about. The UPS store specifically has been instructed to refuse these packages from the UPS driver.

Wine is in the UPS system as a prohibited item and will NOT be re routed to a UPS store.

If anyone has any questions on this, ask your local UPS store for the My choice FAQ's. They have a copy in the store. The UPS store is being paid 3 dollars out of every 5 dollars per package UPS charges its customers for this service.

Peace.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The UPS stores have been trained and informed of the new proceedures at UPS for handling send again packages or re routes. There are some exceptions to this program and i find it funny that UPS did not train us properly for them.

First, using the MY CHOICE program, the residential customers WILL NOT be able to re route alcohol to the UPS STORES. WINE is NOT allowed to be accepted by the UPS STORE. Its in the agreeement between UPS and the UPS stores.

Second, adult signature required 21 and over CANNOT be re routed to the UPS STORES, Its in the agreement between UPS and the UPS STORES.

Third, High Value packages of 5k or more CANNOT be re routed to the UPS STORES. Its in the areement between UPS and the UPS STORES.

Packages that are re routed to the UPS stores will be held there for 7 business days and then returned to UPS if not picked up. Packages that are damaged are NOT TO BE ACCEPTED by the UPS STORE when presented by the driver. Packages that are damaged in the care of the UPS store will be processed like this, a claim filed by the shipper, the first 250 dollars will be paid by UPS and the remaining amount to be paid by the UPS STORE. Packages that are lost or stolen while in the care of the UPS store will be processed like this: UPS may pay the claim to the shipper in its entirety, then collect/recover that amount from the UPS STORE via the CDV program.

If a center manager or supervisor told you that wine, guns and signature required packages could be re routed to the UPS store, then he doesnt know what he is talking about. The UPS store specifically has been instructed to refuse these packages from the UPS driver.

Wine is in the UPS system as a prohibited item and will NOT be re routed to a UPS store.

If anyone has any questions on this, ask your local UPS store for the My choice FAQ's. They have a copy in the store. The UPS store is being paid 3 dollars out of every 5 dollars per package UPS charges its customers for this service.

Peace.
Wine is ADULT SIG REQ. That's why it can't be rerouted.

DS

Fenderbender
i also heard ups is gonna use flying robot monkeys with spinning beanie caps that serve beer to replace all operations people....WT@ you people are debating a stupid rumor...............................................................

Buddy,it is not a rumor.Operations is already being run by flying robot monkeys with spinning beanie caps.
But,on the matter of my original post,pm me and I'll send you a copy the official ups document describing how it works.

There have been some issues.Some folks don't have cars,some are elderly,and some will not use ups anymore.
Imagine old Burt,in his 2 room basement apartment.The only fun he has is ordering books and jazz cd's from amazon.com,
now he has to take 2 buses , $2.75 each way to get his stuff,unless he stays home all day.

The old joke that women like ups drivers because they come 3 times,is moot now.

The secret document also states they offer this "service",for your convenience.

Worldwide,ups has made 3 attempts for years now,changing it to one,because,
our competitors have been doing it,makes us no better than them.