One Eye on the Job, One Eye on the Helper

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
First time past week I've ever been a helper because I want to see what it's like to drive. 8 year pter. Its fun. I never bring a bag only a Mt dew. I make sure I'm never in the drivers way and move fast as possible. The driver yesterday his normal helper didn't show so they called me. We knocked the deliveries out I jogged all the residential. Not a problem I'm in good shape do alot of cardio and lifting. He said if I hadn't came to help he'd been fd. He said he will request me here on out. Just made me want to be a driver even more I want their pay check. I just don't see how drivers remember all the streets and house numbers. Like wow he new every stop, every number lol. That's my fear not being able to find a house quickly and some had no house number wtf

I'd reconsider the Mt. Dew if I was you. That stuff will dehydrate you. It's a double whammy with the sugar and caffeine. Also the caffeine tends to make you want to use the restroom more. You are better off with just water.

Otherwise your experience was my experience last year.

Fnix

Do you drivers trust part timers that have already been in the building for years as opposed to the temp helpers? I have been with the company longer than the driver I am helping.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do you drivers trust part timers that have already been in the building for years as opposed to the temp helpers? I have been with the company longer than the driver I am helping.
Part timers are almost always preferable to temps as helpers. Part timers are accustomed to handling packages, reading labels, and the UPS work pace in general.

oldngray

nowhere special
Part timers are almost always preferable to temps as helpers. Part timers are accustomed to handling packages, reading labels, and the UPS work pace in general.

Part timers are preferable as helpers but then you run into problems of how many hours they can help you before their shift starts.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
An insider is great, but if they want to work, and they are in college, it does show motivation from a non upser. My guy has been enjoyable, hes educated, he asks questions, he learns when I show him something once. So far so good, no complaints. And if we are going to have some seat time I tell him go ahead and look at your phone, he doesnt do it otherwise, and thats how it should be.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm more of the "been seen not heard" person and just do what I'm told to do.
Don't be afraid to speak up if the time is right. My helper screws something up everyday but he has stopped me from making a couple minor mistakes too so I encourage him to speak up if he sees something off.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yes and no. They tend to have some beneficial knowledge, however unless they are a preloader most of that knowledge can be taught in a day or two. The cons of limited availability and fatigue from working two shifts usually outweighs the pros so I usually request an outside helper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes and no. They tend to have some beneficial knowledge, however unless they are a preloader most of that knowledge can be taught in a day or two. The cons of limited availability and fatigue from working two shifts usually outweighs the pros so I usually request an outside helper.

Our center used to prefer that we use insiders but now, due to the reasons you listed (and a new center manager), we prefer to use outsiders.

My helper works the morning shift at the mall Burger King before meeting me on road at 11am. Hard worker who is getting better each day with the DIAD.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our center used to prefer that we use insiders but now, due to the reasons you listed (and a new center manager), we prefer to use outsiders.

My helper works the morning shift at the mall Burger King before meeting me on road at 11am. Hard worker who is getting better each day with the DIAD.

Does he bring you a Whopper?

(Gettin' slow there, Inde!)

What'dyabringmetoday???

Surely your helper is doing "multiple left-ats" by now. Lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

I've never trusted a helper previously to use the diad for more than the occasional sig req stop, but this year now that I'm in the city I have to trust my helper with the diad and while it's killing me to let go some of the control he's doing pretty well with the diad.

He screws up and needs help getting out of something a couple times a day and still fails to sheet or properly complete things a couple times a day. On Friday morning I sorted out a bunch of bulk stops at a highrise for him and after he was done delivering I still had 3 pieces for one of the stops in my board all morning. I know that at least one of those pieces (NDA) was given to him to deliver because I remember seeing the odd employee name on the NDA envelope. Normally I would have just gone upstairs to their mailroom and gone through the pile to see if they were there, but I was already half way across the city and had too much work as it was.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
An update to my post :

During the PCM today, Loss Prevention thanked our driver again for being mindful of her surroundings and preventing the laptop from being stolen.
She was handed one of those UPS blue checks by him in appreciation as a reward.
Some drivers were left wondering afterwards how much was the check.
It didn't matter because it was really nice to see UPS acknowledge her like that.

542thruNthru

I have been training my helper since day one. He's a smart kid. He can use the diad very well. Taught him how to line up the shelves so when I feel like reading brown cafe I can relax. Also when I'm feeling really lazy I tell him it's time to practice package selection. I just stop the truck pop the door and he does rest.

Don't understand why drivers refuse to teach there helpers. 2 weeks of pain for 6 weeks of easy living. :)

wayfair

swollen member
I thought they did do background checks on all ups employees....but unfortunately, that only works if they've ever been caught.
that's a joke... had a supe who got hired with 2 Felony counts and a prostitution charge... became a driver and got fired once for not reporting an accident(hit mailbox, got job back), then was caught on home surveillance throwing a package AT the front porch..

UPSGUY72

This week in my building had a helper get caught steal packages right before he was goint to get picked up to help. Then hadca helper stick a iphone in his back pack while the driver was getting packages from another driver.