One hour lunches?

ramrod7373

Here in Nor Cal per the contract we have to take a hour lunch which many don't like to do. Many have been taking a half hour because our management tells us we need to take a hour but doesn't care when you take it, most take at the end of the day. Per the contract we need to take it between the 4th and 6th hour. I personally like a half hour to get off earlier.
How can they discipline the drivers for taking less than a hour when it's ok for the others that are taking a full hour lunch but not between the 4th and 6th hour per the contract. Our management would have to run more routes if we all took our lunches between the 4th and 6th because all the business wouldn't get delivered. I will continue to take a half hour until they fix or we can take it up at panel!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We get 45 mins lunch with 10 min break. I take mine in the 3rd and 5th. Everyday. I feel no need to not to. What the hell will an half hr early getting home do? I don't get the logic. Use your lunch as your dispatch tool. Called work smarter not harder. Where is jump?

By The Book

I heard it says the lunch must be 1 hour in duration, and on another page I hear there is the 1/2 hour language. If you are disciplined over this, file a harassment grievance. Talk to your BA. Sometimes a new boss comes in and changes things.

brett636

This had been a yearly issue here. Our supplements don't require us to take a full hour lunch, but it does say we are allowed to take up to an hour. Every year about this time management would begin to mandate a full hour for everyone. The problem is that every job is different, and as this is a feeder department we have runs that take "hot" loads between buildings and some that don't. We have city pickup jobs that have hard customer commit times and some that don't. So what would happen is that these drivers who really shouldn't be taking a full meal would go to their supervisors to complain only to be given special permission to ignore the full meal mandate. Luckily our new union steward saw to it to end this nonsense and got management to agree to a new lunch policy that basically stated that as long as your loads were ready at your destination you didn't need to take a full meal. While I doubt its been perfectly followed I believe most of us agree with the policy, and so far it seems to be working out.

By The Book

This had been a yearly issue here. Our supplements don't require us to take a full hour lunch, but it does say we are allowed to take up to an hour. Every year about this time management would begin to mandate a full hour for everyone. The problem is that every job is different, and as this is a feeder department we have runs that take "hot" loads between buildings and some that don't. We have city pickup jobs that have hard customer commit times and some that don't. So what would happen is that these drivers who really shouldn't be taking a full meal would go to their supervisors to complain only to be given special permission to ignore the full meal mandate. Luckily our new union steward saw to it to end this nonsense and got management to agree to a new lunch policy that basically stated that as long as your loads were ready at your destination you didn't need to take a full meal. While I doubt its been perfectly followed I believe most of us agree with the policy, and so far it seems to be working out.
Can you say no to extra contract agreements? I see the dilemma on their part....I guess.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Our supplement states one hour lunch taken between the 4th and 6th and can take a 20 min break within the 1st hour (which I find outrageous it should be 1st and 3rd hour) and our center manager is following it to the letter writing people up for even taking a lunch a minute past that time.

By The Book

Our supplement states one hour lunch taken between the 4th and 6th and can take a 20 min break within the 1st hour (which I find outrageous it should be 1st and 3rd hour) and our center manager is following it to the letter writing people up for even taking a lunch a minute past that time.
Sounds like your not in a bonus center?, or he's a tough guy.

Grey

I take my lunch at different times depending on the route I'm covering. We can do a full hour or 30 + 15 + 15 or 45 + 15. Whatever works best depending on route/volume/pick ups.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
More routes more jobs ,take your lunch please
We would get more runs put in if we didn't have so much crap going to the post office... Yep let them hire more ( which they are doing at multiple po's in this area) while we have some of our guys at home in layoff.... Total bs... Thanks h and h!!!

By The Book

I take my lunch at different times depending on the route I'm covering. We can do a full hour or 30 + 15 + 15 or 45 + 15. Whatever works best depending on route/volume/pick ups.
In the 3 scenarios you've listed for lunch times you can take, they all add up to 1 hour. Am I missing something.

By The Book

Well the OP mentioned he can only take a full hour whereas at our center we can use that combination I meantioned.
If you use any combination that you mentioned, you are sitting for an hour. Let me know if I'm losing it. I think you take the minimum that your contract allows some times and take the breaks at different times.... I don't see a problem with this as long as you are paid for the other half hour.

Grey

If you use any combination that you mentioned, you are sitting for an hour. Let me know if I'm losing it. I think you take the minimum that your contract allows some times and take the breaks at different times.... I don't see a problem with this as long as you are paid for the other half hour.

I take what adds up to a full hour everyday. Monday i was covering a route that had 85 buisness stops (including bulk) and two big apt complexes with an office that closes at 5. So I took it late.

Some days I take it early. Just depends.