One Issue

helenofcalifornia

Dill, maybe they did hire that supervisor in your center based on ethnicity, but in our center, UPS has to do the recruiting because no body wants to go into management. So basically, at our center, it's the "warm body" that gets hired, not the talented managerial candidate. (And they usually want to bail on that job and go driving first chance they get!)

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
We must get this man to a hospital!

A Hospital? What is it, Doctor?

It's a big building with beds, but that's not important now.....

Upstate, I've been lobbing that softball all week, thanks for smacking it outta da park.

Airplane - Funniest mover ever made, by far, in my opinion

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.....

dillweed

Dill, maybe they did hire that supervisor in your center based on ethnicity, but in our center, UPS has to do the recruiting because no body wants to go into management. So basically, at our center, it's the "warm body" that gets hired, not the talented managerial candidate. (And they usually want to bail on that job and go driving first chance they get!)

The young man has been an employee for years. I'm afraid they may have talked him into taking the position to fill the diversity slot and it was an injustice to him. As I said, he's a good kid but immature and just not responsible enough for the position. I've been disgusted with upper management because the only place this guy can go is out the door if he doesn't make it and I fear he won't. If it's out the door he has lost a good job with great benefits.

To be honest, we have very few good candidates for pt sup. It takes one heck of a backbone to succeed in the position. The rest of our pt sups are excellent which is a blessing. I've never seen such a good batch in all my years. I've watched them go through absolute hell and often wondered how and why they put up with it. They have my respect and I'll go above and beyond for them. We all know how easy it is to mess with sups while staying within the bounderies. We can also help make them look good which is my preference. I truly hope this kid gets smart quick or he'll trip my trigger and I'll turn stupid on him. That's a disgrace to myself but sure beats trying to carry him through this. Have tried that route with other young pt sups only to get severely burned.

upsdude

why do we not try to fix the problems...instead of surviving day to day

I agree. As many others and myself have said, UPS could be absolutely unstoppable with a happy content workforce. Even factoring in the folks that will never in their lives be happy no matter where they work, we could still be a force to reckon with.

Not a chance, Atlanta would rather turn good honest hard working folks into first class jerks.

DS

Fenderbender
If you could address the highest level of management with one issue, what would it be?
This is a great thread feeder53
why do we not try to fix the problems...instead of surviving day to day
This is so true,the pt and oncar sups are way too busy worrying about numbers to do thier jobs properly,
The way I see it ,ups corporate has to realize that production should be secondary to service,because that is all we have to offer.
Maybe they should learn the 5 seeing habits and get the big picture.

New Englander

Actually PMan, I refer to our service since PAS. I remember when the customer knew what time it was, not by their watch, but by seeing the UPS driver walk thru their door. Now many of our customers have no idea when we'll show up. (We don't either!). I realize this doesn't affect time in transit. As long as it shows up before they close, it's on time!

I also realize it's something we had to give up to stay profitable, but it's still sad.

Typical cop out of people who do not like PAS. It does happen but no more or less then it did pre-PAS.

AND it generally happens on Flex days such as Monday and Friday when UPS usually cuts routes. So the few customers who may be in that flex area can still pretty much plan on it.

New Englander

I would honestly ask why the operational decision making has been taken out of the center manager and OS's hands.

Corporate makes the morning call and these people are now pretty powerless to do anything.

wyobill

My one issue would have been( show me how to run scratch with taking that phanton lunch hour) an 8 hr plan took me 9.5 and Im not that slow.

2 months retired and lovin it.............Sorry but I don't miss Big Brown

Last edited by a moderator:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I would like to see how many customers have cancelled their pick up accounts with ups on those routes that get busted out several times a week. Even with another driving doing these pick ups its not at the same time the normal drive would, some are earlier and some are now later.

This would be interesting, maybe thats why volume is down a little. If you take just one pick up away from every center in the usa that would amount to a significant loss on pieces.

S

speeddemon

I would like to know why they wont come to the local level once in thier career to ACTUALLY bridge the gap between thier fantasy and what REALLY happens at the local level.