One Large Step, Eh?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Teamsters successfully organized a terminal in British Columbia. Go labour, eh!! While it might seem small, this is just the start of something much bigger. I predict that FedEx Freight will go union here in the US within 2 years. Fred's empire of anti-unionism is crumbling.

EFF YOU Smith!!

dezguy

I'm hoping this spreads to the Express ranks. Nothing holding us back from unionizing up here except ourselves. Lots of kool aid drinkers retiring in the next couple of years. Hopefully then, the midrangers will realize the poop sandwich we're being fed.

MAKAVELI

Every major union organizing campaign has to start somewhere. And I hope this win for our Canadian brothers and sisters is the spark to get that fire going. If Freight and the airline mechanics go union, it will only be a matter of time before Express eventually gets the ball rolling.

Slick silver

Might be sooner then later here at express in the US. The teamsters were at a pup stop I was at and one guy told me they had some stuff in line. Heck he ask me how many guys would be willing to unionize, I just rolled my eyes and said a lot

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
While it might seem small,

Have to disagree with you here.

This is HUGE. It is the 1st domino. Somewhere, a terminal had to be 1st. Now that that is done, the rest will go much, much easier. Every other terminal can see that the terminal was not closed and that life went on. It will be so much easier for others to vote yes now.

Awesome.

dezguy

Have to disagree with you here.

This is HUGE. It is the 1st domino. Somewhere, a terminal had to be 1st. Now that that is done, the rest will go much, much easier. Every other terminal can see that the terminal was not closed and that life went on. It will be so much easier for others to vote yes now.

Awesome.

Perhaps for Freight. They're a much younger division up here. Express still has a lot of old blood in it. There are still a lot of people who bleed that purple blood. Until those people are retired, I'm afraid any unionization attempts at Express will be futile.

BigTex61

I was told by a manager today that our volume is higher lately due to ground not being able to keep up with online commerce. FedEx needs Express now more than ever, but trumps up the notion ground can take over anytime now, according to this manager. The only thing stopping us from unionizing is ourselves, because of the fear factor. I know we had somewhat of a chance back in the 90's, but Freddie pulled a fast one with the rla scam. Today, we have the internet, youtube, social media, smart phones, etc.....it just seems it would be far easier and less expensive today to get the information out in regards to unionizing. Isn't there a small window of opportunity to do something, even the rla? We are our own worst enemies at times it appears. Just some thoughts friends.

MAKAVELI

I was told by a manager today that our volume is higher lately due to ground not being able to keep up with online commerce. FedEx needs Express now more than ever, but trumps up the notion ground can take over anytime now, according to this manager. The only thing stopping us from unionizing is ourselves, because of the fear factor. I know we had somewhat of a chance back in the 90's, but Freddie pulled a fast one with the rla scam. Today, we have the internet, youtube, social media, smart phones, etc.....it just seems it would be far easier and less expensive today to get the information out in regards to unionizing. Isn't there a small window of opportunity to do something, even the rla? We are our own worst enemies at times it appears. Just some thoughts friends.
We are our own worst enemies. And FedEx likes it that way. They know a divided Express means a non union Express. There is definitely a possibility of a union at Express if we can unite. All the bs and lack of pay progression and benefits is definitely pushing a lot of us to realize this. We do need the teamsters to organize a national effort but we also need to be willing to fight for it ourselves. Hopefully seeing Freight and the airline mechanics organize will light the fire for us to organize.

vantexan

We are our own worst enemies. And FedEx likes it that way. They know a divided Express means a non union Express. There is definitely a possibility of a union at Express if we can unite. All the bs and lack of pay progression and benefits is definitely pushing a lot of us to realize this. We do need the teamsters to organize a national effort but we also need to be willing to fight for it ourselves. Hopefully seeing Freight and the airline mechanics organize will light the fire for us to organize.
But they can organize locally, we can't. And the sad thing is that as they unionize it'll be just that much tougher on Express employees as we're the largest opco and FedEx will continue to squeeze us to pay for the others.

BigTex61

It's seems like to do it nationally would be easier and cheaper with today's technology. FedEx wants us to believe we cant, we buy into that rational, and the cycle continues. We just need some guidance and a willing sponsor to light the fire.

barnyard

KTM rider
But they can organize locally, we can't. And the sad thing is that as they unionize it'll be just that much tougher on Express employees as we're the largest opco and FedEx will continue to squeeze us to pay for the others.

Don't the mechanics have to organize nationally??

vantexan

Don't the mechanics have to organize nationally??
Are they under the RLA too? I don't know. There are a lot less of them and they've yet to get a union and they had their own website for years. Freight can organize locally, so can Ground handlers. We can't, and we've seen the results of that.

barnyard

KTM rider
To me, it makes way more sense to say that the mechanics work for an airline than the couriers do. If they are part of the airline, then they would follow the same organizing rules that the couriers fall under.

vantexan

To me, it makes way more sense to say that the mechanics work for an airline than the couriers do. If they are part of the airline, then they would follow the same organizing rules that the couriers fall under.
They're more like the pilots than the couriers. Much smaller group, far fewer locations.

MAKAVELI

But it still is a national effort, correct??? Everyone has to vote at the same time, not location, by location.
Correct. But Freight is the key to organizing both Express drivers and mechanics. FedEx knows this and that's probably a major reason for the increased pace of building out Ground's infrastructure.

vantexan

But it still is a national effort, correct??? Everyone has to vote at the same time, not location, by location.
If the mechanics are under the RLA then yes, it's a national vote. Which doesn't bode well for couriers because they ARE a much smaller group in fewer locations and still haven't had a national vote. Freight can organize location by location.

MAKAVELI

If the mechanics are under the RLA then yes, it's a national vote. Which doesn't bode well for couriers because they ARE a much smaller group in fewer locations and still haven't had a national vote. Freight can organize location by location.
You are missing the point. If Freight goes union , it will be a domino effect. More than anything it means the teamsters have not given up on FedEx. Instead of of taking on Express and the RLA, they are going through the back door.

fedex_rtd

You are missing the point. If Freight goes union , it will be a domino effect. More than anything it means the teamsters have not given up on FedEx. Instead of of taking on Express and the RLA, they are going through the back door.
I hope Fred squeals like a pig when the Union busts open that back door of his.

fedex_rtd

As far as the mechanics and their unionizing effort, FedEx found some money to make them happy. Remember when we hourly drivers lost our 2nd, and 3rd shift differential payments??? The mechanics kept theirs, AND they got a nice raise to go with it, along with keeping their jumpseat privileges that we lost, they got theirs back. That made enough of the mechanics happy, so if there had been a vote, FedEx would have won it.