One of Our old Trucks?

Holydriver

For the same reason they duct tape over the logos after an accident. When they 88 a PC or tractor from our old building, they would use a paint roller and a bucket of gray primer. Paint right over everything. They don't want the public to see anything other than the best image they can muster.
Except when it comes to car wash...

clean hairy

Stopped and spoke to the guy.
He said it is a 1985 and the distance meter thing quit working but it shows 170,000 miles.
Staight 6 and 4 speed standard trans.

PT Car Washer

I heard that the junkyard buys them for 100$ and then sells the parts back to us for 100$ each part
All of our junk package cars are sent to a scrap metal yard down the street to be crushed. I remember one year a bunch of old tractors were painted over, loaded on flatbeds and hauled off to Mexico.

SteveH50

I remember in the late 80's I drove an 800 with vacuum brakes. Had the vacuum gauge on the dash. The thing buzzed like hell until you gassed it a few times to build up vacuum. Funny thing was that thing could turn on a dime and give you back some change.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I drove an old 1000 for awhile that had air brakes used to leave that bad boy running all day just pull that yellow knob on the dash and she wasn't moving

SteveH50

Drove one of the those also. I threw a engine belt and the pump that feeds that system stopped. The mechanic said I was lucky to make it to the side of the road. If not he wouldn't have been able to pull it out of traffic without a big tow truck.

clean hairy

This one would be a good candidate to send to Danny Coker at Counting Cars.
I am sure the Counting Cars Production Attorneys could reach an agreement with our Corporate Attorneys on what could be done to it.
Or, would you sent it to Gas Monkey Garage?
It would be a perfect fit, as they are always looking for something out of left field to do!
What would you envision Aaron doing to it?

Scuba Steve

UPS didn't crush everything. PC may get crushed now but there were a number that got sold too. These were the ones that did not have the UPS bubble hood on them.

When UPS was phasing out the cabover tractors in the early to mid 90's some were sold too. Central Transport bought some UPS MH tractors. UPS painted them white but left the black wheels with silver trim rings. Central Transport kept them white with the same wheels. Used them as day tractors on local routes.

Tiny Panda

We donated 2 old trucks to the British Museum in London to be used as food trucks

ee15dc9e8190b410702f0b0ba11de506.jpg

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I can't speak to decades ago, but no package cars or tractors are being sold. All decals or anything that would identify it as UPS equipment must be removed. Depending on where the vehicle will be stored prior to crushing dictates if it should have the brown paint covered up.
Any usable parts are removed, fluids drained,then scrapped.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
We have a new VEM process (formerly ADA) we send the package car whole (don't paint over, drain fluid, remove parts, etc...) to a national "corporate junk yard company" and they handle the scrapping, crushing process work now for UPS.

This used the be work that we did but our union leaders don't seem to have an issue with it. I was told I can file a grievance but it won't go anywhere.

Gear

Parts on Order
There was a time when vehicles were sold. People didnt see the new company logo, all people seen was the UPS brown. I have no idea when that was, but it makes sense.