One of Our old Trucks?

rod

Retired 22 years
We donated 2 old trucks to the British Museum in London to be used as food trucks

ee15dc9e8190b410702f0b0ba11de506.jpg

Other than this picture has anyone ever seen an actual UPS truck that has been taken out of service and refurbished by someone else to be used on the road again? I haven't.

Tiny Panda

Other than this picture has anyone ever seen an actual UPS truck that has been taken out of service and refurbished by someone else to be used on the road again? I haven't.

Again in the UK, there a handful of these floating around

They are the same as the one i posted earlier only on a short wheelbase, they were used by subcontractors in Germany in the 80's, when sold on by the owners they've found their way into the hands of mainly new age people and use as camper vans, can often be seen at festivals.

I saw one driving towards me once and waved, only to realise there were 3 people sat in the cab

And another one in Holland used again as a food truck

One stolen from Instagram

And this believe it or not was one too, i drove one when i first started some 16 years ago. They were dire, no power, you'd struggle to top 20mph on a hill.

This guy https://www.instagram.com/hauntrod/ found an original 50's (?) package car in someone yard, sadly instead of restoring it he's slammed it

Last edited:

badpal

I am an old timer now, but years ago an old man cornered me and told me he had delivered in Philadelphia in the real early days. Claimed his package car was WW11 surplus and still had a base in the front to mount a machine gun turret. True or not he told a good story.

rod

Retired 22 years
I am an old timer now, but years ago an old man cornered me and told me he had delivered in Philadelphia in the real early days. Claimed his package car was WW11 surplus and still had a base in the front to mount a machine gun turret. True or not he told a good story.

The old P400's had a wide shelf up front that you could load up your next 5 or ten stops on----no machine guns though.

rod

Retired 22 years
Again in the UK, there a handful of these floating around

They are the same as the one i posted earlier only on a short wheelbase, they were used by subcontractors in Germany in the 80's, when sold on by the owners they've found their way into the hands of mainly new age people and use as camper vans, can often be seen at festivals.

I saw one driving towards me once and waved, only to realise there were 3 people sat in the cab

And another one in Holland used again as a food truck

One stolen from Instagram

And this believe it or not was one too, i drove one when i first started some 16 years ago. They were dire, no power, you'd struggle to top 20mph on a hill.

This guy https://www.instagram.com/hauntrod/ found an original 50's (?) package car in someone yard, sadly instead of restoring it he's slammed it

Must be a "foreign thing". I've never seen one repurposed in the USA. That last one isn't a UPS truck --- at least none like I've ever seen.

Tiny Panda

Must be a "foreign thing". I've never seen one repurposed in the USA. That last one isn't a UPS truck --- at least none like I've ever seen.

I can assure you it was, I'm talking Europe here, they were classed as P30's based on a Volkswagon chassis, only weighed 3.5t.

ups-parcel-service-van-delivering-in-central-london-ajytna.jpg

The only reason they were ever sold is because they weren't owned by UPS, all subcontractors now use normal vans and not package cars

rod

Retired 22 years
I can assure you it was, I'm talking Europe here, they were classed as P30's based on a Volkswagon chassis, only weighed 3.5t.

ups-parcel-service-van-delivering-in-central-london-ajytna.jpg

The only reason they were ever sold is because they weren't owned by UPS, all subcontractors now use normal vans and not package cars

Well I'll be damned. It is a UPS truck. And I thought USA UPS trucks were ugly.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I've been in junk yards grabbing parts for cars and have seen piles of UPS trucks before so unless you've actually seen them being crushed, you are incorrect.
Seen it, done it. Like I said before, I cannot say it has always been done this way. Also, there are only two or three companies that make the bodies for these trucks. And there are thousands of companies that buy them. They aren't unique to UPS... Only the Brown Paint. And that is probably on Ebay as well.

I've been in junk yards grabbing parts for cars and have seen piles of UPS trucks before so unless you've actually seen them being crushed, you are incorrect.
The equipment is crushed, can not be sold. A representitive from automotive goes to the scrap yard and must watch them get crushed. If you saw them sitting in a junkyard it could have been they were waiting for someone to come watch them get destroyed.

We have a new VEM process (formerly ADA) we send the package car whole (don't paint over, drain fluid, remove parts, etc...) to a national "corporate junk yard company" and they handle the scrapping, crushing process work now for UPS.

This used the be work that we did but our union leaders don't seem to have an issue with it. I was told I can file a grievance but it won't go anywhere.
Basically everything you said here is incorrect.

The VEM ( vehicle expense monitoring) is how we monitor how much we are spending on vehicles nearing the end of their life. Once a significant enough repair is required. It then goes thru the ADA ( asset disposal authorization) process.

If you dont mind me asking what district are you speaking of?

oldngray

nowhere special
My building had the junkyard of old vehicles in a corner of the building property. Mechanics would strip parts as needed. Eventually they would be completely stripped and sent to be scrapped.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I can't speak to decades ago, but no package cars or tractors are being sold. All decals or anything that would identify it as UPS equipment must be removed. Depending on where the vehicle will be stored prior to crushing dictates if it should have the brown paint covered up.
Any usable parts are removed, fluids drained,then scrapped.
And pictures of the vehicle getting ripped up are required also, are they not?