One of the reasons we lose customers

FromBluetoBrown

The sign also says we do not ship alcohol but it seemed all peak I was cleaning up boxes of wine that had frozen and when they thawed the corks would pop off, either that or the seasonal hires would throw them in the boxline as hard as they could.

ups_vette

My driver even told me that sometimes he gets packages so mangled that he's embarrassed to deliver them.

Are you saying a TEAMSTER preloader loaded a mangled package and a TEAMSTER driver delivers that mangled package? I'm shocked. I was under the impression that all TEAMSTER employees of UPS followed the proper method for handling "mangled" packages. That method being the "mangled" package is to be given to a clerk for inspection, and is either re-wrapped for delivery if not damaged, or a damage claim is issued to the shipper.

L

Lockheed Marvin

Are you saying a TEAMSTER preloader loaded a mangled package and a TEAMSTER driver delivers that mangled package? I'm shocked. I was under the impression that all TEAMSTER employees of UPS followed the proper method for handling "mangled" packages. That method being the "mangled" package is to be given to a clerk for inspection, and is either re-wrapped for delivery if not damaged, or a damage claim is issued to the shipper.

That's what "industry leading" driver wages gets you. Aren't you PROUD? You should be - or if not, you should be raising hell and agitating to get rid of your #1 expense. Roll them bones. Don't be scared.

Fnix

I always get instructed to load damaged packages by supes into the Trucks. Nothing wrong with that. All the driver needs to do is sheet it as damaged and bring it back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FromBlue, we do not ship alcohol. Wine is not considered to be alcohol for this purpose. This is why we are not allowed to accept pkgs that have any markings reflecting that the previous contents were alcohol. Wine shipments have limitations as well but I am not up to speed on all of them so I won't try to list them here. One of my pickups is an MBE store and at least once a month or so I have to refuse to take a pkg because someone has either reused an alcohol box or is trying to send wine. Wine can only be shipped from a certified shipper.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I always get instructed to load damaged packages by supes into the Trucks. Nothing wrong with that. All the driver needs to do is sheet it as damaged and bring it back.

The big problem with this is every package has a delivery guarantee. A damaged package needs to be rewrapped if possible before the driver's start time. I go through about a roll of tape a week taping up open and damaged looking packages. If it is obviously damaged, then I will bring it back in to the Clerk.

maybrown

is not a woman
At my center drivers can not assume that packages are damaged anymore. You need to bring them back and let clerks to inspect first.

Average at Best

Well, I can't speak for the COMPANY in general, but in our hub, just about everything is mangled. If the Teamster employee took every mangled package to a clerk for rewrapping, the trucks would be empty. :happy2:

Our hub's problem is that they are trying to cram more volume through than the building is capable. Like the proverbial camel through a needle's eye.

And from an employee perspective...the unloaders just chuck the packages out of the truck. I don't think it has anything to do with being a Teamster. I think it has everything to do with being an 18-year old getting paid $8.50 an hour for the chance to die from a heat stroke. And the fact that their part-time supervisor is barking at them about PRODUCTION, not METHODS.

rod

Retired 22 years
From what I witnessed most of the rewrap jobs looked worse than the original damaged pkg. A half a roll of 2 inch tape only makes the box look like a damaged box with a half a roll of 2 inch tape on it.

959Nanook

Now, what part of that do many of you that have posted here, and those working the customer counter not understand?

What is says is that we will not protect the plants from either freezing or cooking due to weather. WE will not protect the package from the temp extremes. That is all. It does not say UPS does not provide a delivery service for the transportation of perishable comodities.

It does also go on to say that they will be accepted........... so how do you get to "we dont take any live plants or animals" from the above statement?

I think sales lead training ought to start with our customer counter people. Thats twice in two weeks my customers have been sending things to me where the clerk tells them no, we dont take fish or plants, only to have a quick follow up and end up taking them.

Atlanta, you want to grow the business? Train your staff that deals with the customer at the building.

Not sure that I agree with the tone but I think you certainly raise an excellent issue. When I started as a permanent UPS employee, I started as a customer counter clerk. It was like getting thrown to the wolves so I did the best I could to serve the customer. I made a lot of mistakes due to ignorance and learned to ask questions. I could go on ad nauseum about how UPS is shooting themselves in the foot by throwing a new hire on autopilot behind the customer counter with little training on customer counter.

Sales lead training (which I did get some before working the counter as part of the driver training and I hear it during PCMs) wouldn't help the issues you raise.

I get the same understanding that you do about shipping perishables; however, I didn't read the details of shipping live animals or plants until after you raised it in this forum and know one ever took the time to inform me.

The simple facts are that I don't have the time to go searching the internet for details on the computer at the customer counter when the counter is four customers deep, a driver is screaming "Clerk" in the shop because the packages being sorted from the late plane are piling up, another driver is looking for my head because he didn't move one of the carts stacked with packages and hit it with his package car so that now it is jammed up tight between his package car and another parked package car, and there are two commercial accounts at the bay door waiting for me to hand off their freight. Granted that example from this morning is a little more chaotic than normal; however, these type of issues seem to come up at moments like this.

I forgot to check the poster of prohibited items behind the customer counter today to see if it said "live plants". As a general rule of thumb, I take questionable situations on a case by case base and ask management if I don't have a clue how to proceed. My line of thinking behind the counter is that I do everything I can within reason to serve the customer and I'll take the ass chewing if I get one from management which is usually pretty easy to diffuse with the "I didn't know, I was trying to help the customer, I'll work as directed next time now that I've been directed" as long as I carried the package in accordance with the 8 Keys to Lift/Lower.

ups_vette

Well, I can't speak for the COMPANY in general, but in our hub, just about everything is mangled. If the Teamster employee took every mangled package to a clerk for rewrapping, the trucks would be empty. :happy2:.

I'm sure you also have some great stories about how large and how many fish you catch. Seriously, do you have any concept of reality? "Just about EVERYTHING is mangled" speaks volumes about your ability to judge anything.

Average at Best

I'm sure you also have some great stories about how large and how many fish you catch. Seriously, do you have any concept of reality? "Just about EVERYTHING is mangled" speaks volumes about your ability to judge anything.

Jeez....ok, A SIGNIFICANT PORTION is mangled, and yes, I am a fairly good judge of some things. For example, I am a great judge of where to cast my line. The other day I caught a steelhead bass that was literally fifty feet long.

FromBluetoBrown

FromBlue, we do not ship alcohol. Wine is not considered to be alcohol for this purpose. This is why we are not allowed to accept pkgs that have any markings reflecting that the previous contents were alcohol. Wine shipments have limitations as well but I am not up to speed on all of them so I won't try to list them here. One of my pickups is an MBE store and at least once a month or so I have to refuse to take a pkg because someone has either reused an alcohol box or is trying to send wine. Wine can only be shipped from a certified shipper.

Thats interesting. I did not know that. Something even more interesting was the other day I saw a Bud Light case come down the slide that was filled with books.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Speaking as a lazy counter bum (and full-time to boot), I can tell you that I personlly won't accept anything that is not properly packaged and direct customers to a UPS store.
No glass, crystal, etc etc can be shipped at the counter. No electronics outside the original carton (except laptops for shipping in the UPS laptop box) Also, no HazMats obviously. Live plants although fine in planes, as noted do not hold up well 4-5-6 days in the load and some will be dead by the time they reach their destination

All packages are insured up to 100$, so whoever said no insurance is avaiable (Rod?) you're forgetting the first 100$. :sick:

Bottom line; it's not laziness. It's preventing people from just throwing away their money then asking for it back with a damage claim in two weeks.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Another thing; Can't speak for other counters, but when supervisors get off their butts and start training people, the counters will function at a higher level. Until then you get what you get.

feeder53

ADKtrails
There seems to be a number of "Right Answers" for this question. I believe it is up to MGMT and Employees to have the answer to these questions for our customers. As we share info here, business shares info out there and if they see a crack, they may choose someone else to work with. At least we have this forum to present the ideas.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I do less

First off, your appraisal of how long a plant will last in a box in our system is based on what? First hand knowledge? For your information, the first two boxes I unpacked the day they came in, I was the first in my area to have the plants for sale. The other two boxes were opened up yesterday, almost 10 days after delivery. And the plants were just fine, in just as good a shape as the ones opened up first.

So your generalization on the life expectancy of plants is not based on real world knowledge.

Secondly, when a customer has driven 120 miles to ship out a package, I would expect somewhat better attitude of trying to help the customer out, not "sorry, we cant take the packages" Or like you would suggest, "take them to the UPS store across town". Why would you ever send a customer that is at your counter somewhere else? Maybe you spend too much time fullfilling your computer name instead of trying to help a customer with packages to ship out. A customer that has problems created by some snot nosed know-it-all behind the counter only interested in making those problems?

Your job is too accept packages from customers. If you have information they might find interesting about their shipment, by all means share. BUt to refuse to take the shipment off hand........

All I can say is we sure help out the competition....

d

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I do less

First off, your appraisal of how long a plant will last in a box in our system is based on what? First hand knowledge? For your information, the first two boxes I unpacked the day they came in, I was the first in my area to have the plants for sale. The other two boxes were opened up yesterday, almost 10 days after delivery. And the plants were just fine, in just as good a shape as the ones opened up first.

So your generalization on the life expectancy of plants is not based on real world knowledge.

Secondly, when a customer has driven 120 miles to ship out a package, I would expect somewhat better attitude of trying to help the customer out, not "sorry, we cant take the packages" Or like you would suggest, "take them to the UPS store across town". Why would you ever send a customer that is at your counter somewhere else? Maybe you spend too much time fullfilling your computer name instead of trying to help a customer with packages to ship out. A customer that has problems created by some snot nosed know-it-all behind the counter only interested in making those problems?

Your job is too accept packages from customers. If you have information they might find interesting about their shipment, by all means share. BUt to refuse to take the shipment off hand........

All I can say is we sure help out the competition....

d

Bottom line: UPS wants people to goto UPS stores. If there's a reason we can't service a customer, that's whom we defer customers to. Either way UPS takes the money, so enough with the off basis and unknowledgable commentary about "help out the competition"

what the heck does my or anyones knowledge of plant life have to do with anything?

We don't ship everything at counters. We will service the customer to the best of our abilities but that does not include breaking strict policies of what we are not supposed to be shipping. Are we going to ship hazmat too even thoguh we aren't supposed to?

If live plants are not accepted and those are the guidelines, that's how it is. I personally will not bend the rules for customers if the restrictions are cut and dry.

HazMatMan

This last week I had one of my suppliers (Brett) drive two hours to the UPS facility to ship me four boxes. When they were told the contents, live plants, the UPS clerk refused to take them. My customer called me and I talked to the clerk, who informed me that UPS never takes anything live into their system, and she would not be taking my shipment from my customer.

Well, not to be one to shrink from a challenge, I called atlanta. I politely explained my situation and gave the guy the phone number directly into the centers customer counter, and he informed me it would be taken care of right away. Two minutes later, Brett calls back and says I dont know who or what you said but her phone rang, and within a minute or two the packages were taken by the clerk with a thankyou and come back.

Now, my question is this. Why do I as a customer have to bitch to atlanta to get my packages shipped from Houston to here? I understand there are some things we can not take. But some lousy water plants? Give me a break.

BTW, UPS got them here, all on the same day, in one piece. From Houston TX to East Tennessee ground in two days.......Its no wonder we are considered leaders in the industry.

But we have to get the lazy bums that are turning away volume out of our system. We cant afford them anymore.

d
I see live plants going through all the time. It just happened this past Valentine's day, Flowers.com for one. I hope you didn't water them too much for I am sure the box will become moist and a responder will surely be called.

UPS Lifer

There are certain products and commodities that we do not allow the general public to ship over the counter. Some of these products and commodities are allowed to be shipped by regular accounts that have basically assured UPS or certified to UPS that these shipments meet the acceptable guidelines and regulations.

We can expect consistency in control and quality of a shipment from a regular shipping account.

This is not something we can control from a customer who sporadically ships through our customer centers.

This is why there is a difference between "Joe Public" (over the counter) and a regular account such as 1-800-Flowers.