Online sales leap 20 percent on Black Friday..39 percent on Thanksgiving Day

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kingOFchester, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Much less likely to be pepper sprayed or shot at while online shopping at home in your pajamas.
  3. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

4. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Maybe a little heavier monday- MOST WILL BE PICKED UP FOR TUESDAY.
  5. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Then you have cyber Monday to deal with yet ! Good week for you folks :)
  6. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

I don't believe anything that research companies and the government say about the economy. They both have a reason to lie.
  7. Funfact

The busiest shopping day of the year is the Saturday before x-mass. It's x-mas eve this year.
  8. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Black Friday really pisses me off. I refuse to shop on that day, I refuse to buy into all of the hype, and I refuse to wait in line, fight the crowds, and be treated like a head of cattle being herded into a money-extraction chute. I dont care how much money I could save, its not worth the stress and aggravation. I chose to work instead. 8.6 hours, 177 miles, 36 stops, about $400 before taxes. My wife and I will take that money and do our shopping at locally owned small businesses and support our local economy instead of being herded into some big-box store.
  9. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

My wife and kids left at 11:30 Thanksgiving night to participate in the Black Friday festivities. I chose to work Friday instead of spending "quality" time with the family fighting the crowds.
    Worked 9.5 hours, 210 miles, 70 stops and about $600 before taxes. Hope I made enough to pay the bills for all the money they saved!
  10. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Just another week in paradise!
  11. AKX

AKX New Member

Bring it on. I love a challenge.
  12. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

Weather looks okay here in the midwest this week. Bring it on. If the roads are clear I would rather we run it through the system now.
  13. Funfact

Black Friday sales are a scam. There only a small limited amount of product that are really good deals usually less than 10 in each store that are listed to get people to make other impulse buys for stuff they wouldn't have brought any other day. people spend hours inline to save a couple of dollars it just isn't worth it.

Also the rest of the sales are going to be around untill x-mass. In some cases the sales get better as we get closer to x-mass.
  14. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

15. Northshoredriver

Northshoredriver New Member

So i guess that means monday is gonna be real heavy..hopefully i will have a helper all day and not for just 4 hrs
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Think about it for a second. We only did pickups for customers who called ahead and scheduled one on Friday. Today is Saturday and tomorrow is Sunday which means whatever is ordered today or tomorrow and whatever orders weren't picked up yesterday will be waiting for us to pick them up on Monday. Black Friday won't hit us until Tuesday/Wednesday.
  17. Funfact

Wrong ??

We haven't picked up a ground package from shipper since Wednesday. If people order a product on Friday it hasn't even been processed for shipping yet. Toward the end of next week and the begin of the next week we will see those packages.
  18. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

I guess the post office will be even heavier this week with all the basic packages coming in.
  19. Dragon

Dragon Package Center Manager

Good thing IE "predicted" volume would only be up "a smigdon" this year....if its true what the analysts are saying about internet shipping we are going to get crushed.
  20. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

We have already been crushed. This will be my 5th peak with UPS, and I feel like the "perfect storm" is brewing. We got post office packages being turned away from post office and being told to RTS them!!! Package cars going out with 500-700 pieces because center was not allowed to add bulk trucks yet, lost many drivers to retirement and injury with only a few replacements, 2 out of 3 sups managing areas they do not know, 3rd center manager since last November, many drivers doing 11-12 hour days last week, we have a loader that has only been with UPS 2 months going out on the road, seasonal hires lost because their sups don't even know the area......I could go on. It ain't going to be pretty (excluding pay check).