Open Season for Health Plans

MAKAVELI

In fact I specifically remember when UPS started denying management coverage for spouse's with coverage, FedEx said that they would not be cutting those benefits for us.

MassWineGuy

There are tons of people who are covered by more than one plan. This is why my wife gets asked by Blue Cross each year if anyone under her plan has any other coverage.

MassWineGuy

Will be interesting in 2015 when the employer mandate kicks in for Obamacare. Will FedEx send us to the exchanges?

That's a Affordable Care Act, and a totally great thing Pres. Obama did. It's a weakened version of his initial plan, but it still provides health insurance to millions of people who never had it. But to really do the job we need socialized medicine where no one has to worry about paying up front. Taxes, yes.

I suppose FedEx will do just what you said. More options and choices for us.

vantexan

What does the mandate have to do with anything? If they wanted to dump you they would have all ready.
You're right, as long as FedEx offers plans that cover at least 60% of costs and they're "affordable"(less than 9.5% of income), they're in compliance. If however healthcare costs are more than they want to pay, they could choose to pay penalty per employee and terminate coverage. A lot of small companies will do just that.

mitchel

The time period for FedEx people to choose health plans is open. I'm a new hire and won't be eligible for three months, but I still need to decide. My wife's plan covers us through Blue Cross and costs much more per month than the FedEx/CIGNA plans. But I've read a lot of terrible things about CIGNA and will probably just opt out. I'd rather not argue over every claim.

Is there anyone here who loves CIGNA?
I would love to have cigna back. I have had more problems with blue shield.

MassWineGuy

You're right, as long as FedEx offers plans that cover at least 60% of costs and they're "affordable"(less than 9.5% of income), they're in compliance. If however healthcare costs are more than they want to pay, they could choose to pay penalty per employee and terminate coverage. A lot of small companies will do just that.

Such as Walmart.

I have some specific questions for FedEx employees.

How is the CIGNA Consumer Choice health plan? It's a lot cheaper than the Premier plan. Choice, vision and dental would cost me $186/month for me and my family, or about $15/month just for me.

Has anyone used these plans incl. dental and vision? Great, good, ok, lousy?

Can I get medical just for myself but dental/vision for dependants?

enyoc

Im confused, i thought fedex did not offer health insurance and that it would have to come from the IC (employer); whom typically do not offer. Could someone please set me straight? thanks

Artee

Im confused, i thought fedex did not offer health insurance and that it would have to come from the IC (employer); whom typically do not offer. Could someone please set me straight? thanks

FedEx offers health insurance to its employees. If you work for Ground or HD you are not an employee of FedEx. You work the the contractor and I suppose that would be up to him if he wanted to offer it for his employees.