Operational Doctrine

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
What do you think UPS's main operational philosophy should be?

I think the basic rule should be: The safe expeditious flow of packages.

klein

Für Meno :)
Both good ideas, but none of them show up in numbers.... so it will be same old, same old.

More volume, more packages per car , more stops per hr, etc.

The Milkman

A loaded question. Treat Employees fairly, recognize that they do not manufacture a product to sell, Take care of all customers. Empower drivers to make common sense decisions on their own while on route with variables encountered during the day, instead of someone who sits at a desk that has no clue to running a senior drivers route. Respect everyone and realize that without the back breaking work that all do at Big Brown , they would not be the Global Giant it is today. The people in their cubicles and offices in Greenwich in the past and Atlanta today did not physically put themselves where UPS is today........it was the employees that were at the front line of fire every Cold, Hot, Icy, Snowy, Rainy, Humid day that was endured through out the world inside buildings and in package cars doing the grunt work, and thus deserving better treatment than in the past.. It takes a special person to do the so called easy jobs that C/Ms and others in authority (That would not ever last at one of them for any length of time due to the physical and mental demands placed on them) claim it to be.. After over 25 yrs and now retired These are my thoughts and certainly different today than the propaganda I got back in 81.. God rest Jim Casey.. Too bad the company drifted away from his original ideals thus creating all this stress and Us against Them that is now all around the workplace. No wonder there was never any after work get togethers or Company picnics etc as other well know corporations who treated employees with mutual respect for each other. Ask any old timer about company sponsored events besides United Way golf tourneys if they would attend a picnic or dinner party with management and see what answers you get...Alot of mistrust has developed over the years and slowly has eroded the compasion many had at the begining of their careers to what it is today and many of you will agree with me on that one.:peaceful:

menotyou

bella amicizia
A loaded question. Treat Employees fairly, recognize that they do not manufacture a product to sell, Take care of all customers. Empower drivers to make common sense decisions on their own while on route with variables encountered during the day, instead of someone who sits at a desk that has no clue to running a senior drivers route. Respect everyone and realize that without the back breaking work that all do at Big Brown , they would not be the Global Giant it is today. The people in their cubicles and offices in Greenwich in the past and Atlanta today did not physically put themselves where UPS is today........it was the employees that were at the front line of fire every Cold, Hot, Icy, Snowy, Rainy, Humid day that was endured through out the world inside buildings and in package cars doing the grunt work, and thus deserving better treatment than in the past.. It takes a special person to do the so called easy jobs that C/Ms and others in authority (That would not ever last at one of them for any length of time due to the physical and mental demands placed on them) claim it to be.. After over 25 yrs and now retired These are my thoughts and certainly different today than the propaganda I got back in 81.. God rest Jim Casey.. Too bad the company drifted away from his original ideals thus creating all this stress and Us against Them that is now all around the workplace. No wonder there was never any after work get togethers or Company picnics etc as other well know corporations who treated employees with mutual respect for each other. Ask any old timer about company sponsored events besides United Way golf tourneys if they would attend a picnic or dinner party with management and see what answers you get...Alot of mistrust has developed over the years and slowly has eroded the compasion many had at the begining of their careers to what it is today and many of you will agree with me on that one.:peaceful:

Hallelujah.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What it should be, or what it is?
Should be the safe, expeditious movement of small parcels and freight accented with supply chain and packaging solutions.
Reality has it being that there is always another drop if blood to try and squeeze from the turnip.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I agree 100%

DS

Fenderbender
They have all the right ideas but they are all out of order.
#1 should be customer satisfaction,
not stops per hour....but there are probably reports generated that show otherwise.
# 2 should be safety,funny but every accident I ever had at ups was because I was in a hurry...live and learn
#3 should be employee relations,
When ups went public it lost its essence
We are becoming another Walmart

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Snow them all, both hourly and customers?

DS, that is the way it should be, and at one time was. But when you change leadership at the top, and now the emphisis is on pleasing wall street and top brass, the customer and employee are the first to lose. Comparing UPS and Walmart is not fair to walmart. At least as a customer at walmart, if I have a problem, they try to fix it. All you get at UPS is another phone number in Timbucktu to contact.

d

satellitedriver

Didn't you get the memo?
Logistics.
One word philosophy. with a catchy tune, to make everyone sing along.
When I hear that ridiculous song, I replace the word logistics with the word sadistic.
Try it, it gives the song a more personal touch to UPSer's.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Oh Man...That's good. "That's Sadistic" LOL!!!

Didn't you get the memo?
Logistics.
One word philosophy. with a catchy tune, to make everyone sing along.
When I hear that ridiculous song, I replace the word logistics with the word sadistic.
Try it, it gives the song a more personal touch to UPSer's.