Opinions on the same sex domestic partnership benifit package

HazMatMan

There is a substantial number of lesbians working at UPS, and a good number of them have worked their way up into management slots. I'm sure this issue has been brought up quite a few times at meetings where it could be discussed. Gays also seem to find ways to have children even though they don't have heterosexual sex. Some of us still believe there is a God in heaven who has made it abundantly clear that this lifestyle was not placed here by him. Managers at UPS hate it when people buck the system. I'm afraid they have little worry of bucking the system that is higher than them.
I wonder if UPS pushed them through the ranks knowing the situation thinking it would be good business for UPS to do that, or did they really earn going through the ranks??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What if they live in a state where it is legal for same sex to get married?? Would they have to get married to receive benefits?? Or would they be entitled to benefits without getting married?? Which would bring up the word discrimination again. If they are in a state where it is legal then they should have to be married to receive benefits just like a straight couple would have to get married. I know many gay people both men and women and none of them give me the willies..
There are several states that recognize "domestic partnerships" but a same-sex marriage per se is not recognized anywhere in the United States at a federal level, so if you are going to offer these benefits as a company you cant use the word "marriage" or you would be discriminating against couples in states that dont allow it.
The fact that gay men give me "the willies" is my problem, not theirs. I still have some growing up to do. My sister is gay and I'm totally OK with that. I try not to let my personal shortcomings get in the way of treating all people fairly and equally. We are all God's kids.

959Nanook

Do you really think UPS is doing this out of "the goodness of their heart", and for goodwill purposes or because they are worried about the potential lawsuits? If I was a betting man, I would put my money on the latter!

I'm not a trained legal beagle and clearly was not involved when any legal considerations were made. I'm not going to guestimate the proportion of possible legal costs vs implied effect on future business when they made that business decision.

I was probably not clear enough in my statement. In my ideal world, UPS would be a wonderful progressive company. I made a conscious decision to seek permanent employment with UPS (vs some other employment with an organized labor force) and one of my considerations (amongst many) was that UPS offered same sex domestic partnership benefits for my friends in the LGBT community. All that being said, I don't think UPS is necessarily a wonderful progressive company or did it out of "the goodness of their heart".

At the end of the day, I still feel that this was a business decision that was made with the bottom line in mind. My use of the term "goodwill" was in the accounting context (albeit, not necessarily within the strict definition of the accounting term). The point was that by virtue of their actions, UPS has established an intangible asset (namely a positive image within the LGBT community) that benefits UPS' bottom line (or they wouldn't have done it in the absence of a regulatory or contractual obligation).

eastlos

I'm a bit disappointed by the majority of posts that are against this. I think it's great. I'm heterosexual and as previous posters gay people sometimes give me the willies I still believe they are entitled to choose the life they live and if they find a life partner in the same sex well ok. and for those that use the girlfriend/ boyfriend argument well if you are so sure you will be with them for life go and get married and shut up.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I'm a bit disappointed by the majority of posts that are against this. I think it's great. I'm heterosexual and as previous posters gay people sometimes give me the willies I still believe they are entitled to choose the life they live and if they find a life partner in the same sex well ok. and for those that use the girlfriend/ boyfriend argument well if you are so sure you will be with them for life go and get married and shut up.

I dont think theres a lot of people against it , its just that its not fair that an un married hetrosexual couple cant get medical benifits because of there sexual preference . Why the hell should they have to get married ? Perhaps they ve been through a messy divorce before or perhaps they just dont want to get married. You shouldnt have to be married to receive benifits from your partner especialy when your Homosexual/lesbian brothers/sisters are getting them. What should we do , organize a STRAIGHT rally through the streets yelling "STRAIGHT RIGHTS FOR UPS BENIFITS. " Thats probably not a great idea because we`d all get labled as homophobics or discrimative.
I say if its good for the Goose then its good for the Gander , all employees should be able to choose a partner of any sex to receive benifits thats the only fair way . :happy2:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I dont think theres a lot of people against it , its just that its not fair that an un married hetrosexual couple cant get medical benifits because of there sexual preference . Why the hell should they have to get married ? Perhaps they ve been through a messy divorce before or perhaps they just dont want to get married. You shouldnt have to be married to receive benifits from your partner especialy when your Homosexual/lesbian brothers/sisters are getting them. What should we do , organize a STRAIGHT rally through the streets yelling "STRAIGHT RIGHTS FOR UPS BENIFITS. " Thats probably not a great idea because we`d all get labled as homophobics or discrimative.
I say if its good for the Goose then its good for the Gander , all employees should be able to choose a partner of any sex to receive benifits thats the only fair way . :happy2:

Before I start getting any hate mail I would like to make it VERY clear that I dont give a dam about any ones sexual preference and have nothing against hetrosexuals gays lesbians or gender benders . I hate everyone, including myself .

Average at Best

I received a letter from UPS saying that same sex partners of employees will be covered under the UPS health package. I dont have a problem with this ..... but how about hetrosexual life partners ? are they covered or do you and your GF/BF have to be gay to qualify ? anybody have any opinions on this ?

I don't have a problem with this on a moral level, but to me, it seems that until gay marriage is legal, I don't know how this can be done. Like, if I were married (to a man), and I wanted my husband to be on my insurance, I'd have to turn in a marriage license, right? If I were "married" (to a woman), and I wanted her on my insurance, what do I turn in? I know there is a form, etc., but without that legal document saying that I am married to her, what is to stop me from putting my hetero girl roommate on my insurance? She doesn't have any, and UPS' insurance is good. I'd pretend to be gay if it meant not having her germing up the apartment for eight months out of the year because she can't get a prescription for antibiotics....

dillweed

Average has a good point. If there is no legal proof of marriage there should be no insurance. I do believe there's a legal document that connects two people's finances. Wonder if that would do?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't have a problem with this on a moral level, but to me, it seems that until gay marriage is legal, I don't know how this can be done. Like, if I were married (to a man), and I wanted my husband to be on my insurance, I'd have to turn in a marriage license, right? If I were "married" (to a woman), and I wanted her on my insurance, what do I turn in? I know there is a form, etc., but without that legal document saying that I am married to her, what is to stop me from putting my hetero girl roommate on my insurance? She doesn't have any, and UPS' insurance is good. I'd pretend to be gay if it meant not having her germing up the apartment for eight months out of the year because she can't get a prescription for antibiotics....

Well, insurance fraud is a pretty serous crime. Are you ready to go to jail for your roommate when UPS finds out (and they will find out) that you're really not gay? I'm not saying people won't try it, but people commit insurance fraud (and go to jail for it) all the time anyway. Being gay is not a prerequisite.

If you really think that UPS is just going to hand out health insurance to any employee who walks in and says "Hey, I'm gay and this is my partner", you must work for a different UPS than I do :wink2:. I can pretty much guarantee that they're going to want to see some kind of reliable documentation.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you really think that UPS is just going to hand out health insurance to any employee who walks in and says "Hey, I'm gay and this is my partner", you must work for a different UPS than I do :wink2:. I can pretty much guarantee that they're going to want to see some kind of reliable documentation.

Seriously-- how are you going to prove you are gay? WAIT A MINUTE--- I DON"T WANT TO KNOW.:wink2:

Average at Best

LOL....reliable documentation? That's my point. I've lived with the same roommate since college. One more year and I think we could be common-law married. :happy2:

Then again, maybe reliable documentation could mean making out with my roommate in front of my boss. I bet the old goat would like something like that!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Average has a good point. If there is no legal proof of marriage there should be no insurance. I do believe there's a legal document that connects two people's finances. Wonder if that would do?
Thats the part that is really unfair. On the one hand we say "no benefits without a marriage license"...and then we turn around and say "oh, but you cant have a marriage license because you are gay and we dont like that". If there is a more blatant example of discrimination that is still legal in this country I would like to see it.
An unmarried hetero couple has the option of getting married if they want to share benefits. A unmarried gay couple doesnt. So...until we as a society quit being so bigoted...I guess we will just have to take the gay couple's word for it. I'm glad that UPS is willing to do the right thing in this regard.

tieguy

Banned
Funny you should say this.

Knowingly supporting a lifestyle that is known to be "risky" for business considerations and to promote their (the companys) own agenda? Imagine that!!

How about "our" company supporting another lifestyle that is forced upon people not of their choosing or as a result of working for ".... a great progressive company?

How about adhering to the Americans with Disabilities Act and creating jobs for the worn, broken, disabled perople who, through no fault of their own, are thrown to the curb when they can't run a certain SPORH?

Show me the legal passage where it says ups is recquired to create these jobs.

How about adhering to the mandates of the Office of Federal Contracts Compilance Programs (OFCCP) which promotes the hiring, retaining and promotion of handicapped individuals?

you actually sit here trying to ridicule ups for not hiring them and you then have the stupidity to call them handicapped which is considered a very derogatory term to the disabled?
Perhaps you should go back and do your home work before you try to tell anyone else what they should do?

I guess it is easier, more fun, more profitable and more fashionable for "our" company to "ally" with an aberrant lifestyle (LGBT) than to exert themselves and deal with the broken, disabled, non-profitable disabled population.

Perhaps because they are so much more positive and apprecitive of ups then you the self proclaimed champion of the "handicapped"

tieguy

Banned
Well, insurance fraud is a pretty serous crime. Are you ready to go to jail for your roommate when UPS finds out (and they will find out) that you're really not gay? I'm not saying people won't try it, but people commit insurance fraud (and go to jail for it) all the time anyway. Being gay is not a prerequisite.

i wonder how ups would prove that you were not gay or bisexual?

tieguy

Banned
LOL....reliable documentation? That's my point. I've lived with the same roommate since college. One more year and I think we could be common-law married. :happy2:

Then again, maybe reliable documentation could mean making out with my roommate in front of my boss. I bet the old goat would like something like that!

sigh.... I remember when I used to call older people old goats.

A

Anonymous Hetero

I saw something recently that said that gay, lesbian, and transgender were also being added as classifications for contractors. No, this is not a joke.

Plant Engineering folks get beat up if they don't award a certain percentage of contracts to minority owned businesses (previously based on gender and race). Now they're also going to have to report on the percentage of contracts awarded to gay, lez, and transgenders.

So, does anyone know any transexuals that paint lines on parking lots? If so, please have them contact UPS.

IMHO, contracts, jobs, any kind of business relationships should be determined by only three considerations.
1. the bid amount
2. the quality of work
3. the estimated time of completion
Whatever someones race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender etc, etc should net even be part of the factor.