Opportunity Knocks? Who's going where?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Management Job Opportunity postings on UPSers is back.

High number retirement eligible.

Beginning of year/QPR period is a popular job swap time.

Who's going where and getting what?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I am skittish about saying anything, as I've been waiting for 6 years after passing MAPP's REAL panel interview (not this joke that it is now).

My FT sup at the air gateway is retiring in April. She's on short term disability, and will probably milk it until she can take her 6 weeks leading up to retirement date. My air division manager, gateway manager, and my region manager are trying to get me in position before she actually retires...but HR isn't having it.....yet. Evidently they are trying to get someone else involved who may have more sway with HR....Either way, it'll be mine when she's off the books.

curiousbrain

Agreed - I hate to say anything because of how convoluted the whole promotion process is. Nevertheless ...

There have been rumors for months that I was supposed to become an assistant PDS, as the current guy who does the job is responsible for doing the dispatch, managing the Preload shift, and helping out the delivery side with NDA, meets, etc. He's worked there for over a decade, so has a wealth of knowledge that is second to none. However, those three jobs are way too much for one person, so ... that's the rumor.

I was asked to submit a resume to LP about two weeks ago - never heard anything from that, but again ... the process is very opaque anyway.

I have a box of browns next to me, which was ordered for me last year, because I was supposed to be on-road right now qualifying to be an on-road sup. Needless to say, I'm not driving anything except a Hyundai.

My division manager was switched at the beginning of this year - so, presumably, I got lost in the sauce somewhere in that transition. Mind you, not that I expect a new DM to run down and blow smoke up my arse on the first day, either - I'm sure he has a lot on his plate.

As icing on the otherwise non-tasty cake, the center manager for the building where I am employed is apparently just ... not showing up to work? I don't know the details, but the word around the campfire is that everyone is locked in until he decides to come back. So, that's awesome.

For someone who hates to say anything, I sure said a lot. But, the few "higher ups" I have a cordial relationship with all say the same thing: there's opportunity everywhere, and shakeups are happening.

I got the e-mail about Bill Soumis, too.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I read somewhere that nearly 50% of UPS's worldwide management workforce would be eligible for retirement by the end of 2013. This was right before our first consolidation. No doubt they are getting rid of a lot of the 'fluff' positions...we were clearly running fat in places...but it's inevitable that we will find ourselves soon in the middle of another promotion wave within the next year or so.

The entire process is opaque....once you are through MAPP...it's plainly a waiting game. You will have no idea who actually gives the OK to promote you. I can PROMISE you it's nobody you have worked around.....at best, you hope that whatever upper management that DO know you can put in a good word, and that's the most you can expect. They usually don't keep you updated on it. All you can do is stay in their ear and renew your interest in TMS every year...

With another consolidation rumored for March 1st, this will either stifle any movement, or signal a wave of it....

curiousbrain

I read somewhere that nearly 50% of UPS's worldwide management workforce would be eligible for retirement by the end of 2013. This was right before our first consolidation. No doubt they are getting rid of a lot of the 'fluff' positions...we were clearly running fat in places...but it's inevitable that we will find ourselves soon in the middle of another promotion wave within the next year or so.

The entire process is opaque....once you are through MAPP...it's plainly a waiting game. You will have no idea who actually gives the OK to promote you. I can PROMISE you it's nobody you have worked around.....at best, you hope that whatever upper management that DO know you can put in a good word, and that's the most you can expect. They usually don't keep you updated on it. All you can do is stay in their ear and renew your interest in TMS every year...

With another consolidation rumored for March 1st, this will either stifle any movement, or signal a wave of it....

Again, agreed. MAPP and all the Inbox stuff is done; like you said, just waiting.

p228

"The Management Career Opportunities Program has been temporarily suspended until further notice."

That was quick.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's easy to be flippant when your on the cusp of retirement.

It's even easier when you've been practicing it all your life.
I remember one of my junior high teachers telling me I was flippant ... I had to look it up back then.
Now it's a badge of honor.

I like the cusp thing too!

curiousbrain

It's even easier when you've been practicing it all your life.
I remember one of my junior high teachers telling me I was flippant ... I had to look it up back then.
Now it's a badge of honor.

I like the cusp thing too!

It would have been my pleasure to work with you.

BrownSuit

"The Management Career Opportunities Program has been temporarily suspended until further notice."

That was quick.

Not sure that it ever came back online, possibly the OP is speaking of the Administrative/Technical section and not the Management Career Opportunities section?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
[h=1]Management Career Opportunities[/h]
[h=2]This represents the area to find open management positions throughout all U.S. business units[/h]

2BOver

It was closed, and I will be surprised if they open it. There are a lot of open management positions across the country that they aren't filling. I think a few districts are going down - will probably hear about that this week before the weak 4th quarter earnings announcement.