Opportunity to drive approaches, but... (need input)

PT Car Washer

Art. 22 FT inside pays $30.70 an hour plus the new raise when we get it. Tons of seniority if one ever opens up. Art. 22.3 pays a lot less. Hardly ever come up for bid. When one does it goes to another Art. 22.3 employee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a female driver who had a bad habit of hitting things while she was driving. The Union and company worked together to create a 22.3 job for her. No one else is allowed to bid on it and it will be abolished when she retires. She took a pay cut of about $8/hr when she accepted the "demotion".

oldngray

nowhere special
We had a female driver who had a bad habit of hitting things while she was driving. The Union and company worked together to create a 22.3 job for her. No one else is allowed to bid on it and it will be abolished when she retires. She took a pay cut of about $8/hr when she accepted the "demotion".

Probably done because she is a female. More than equal treatment. If UPS does that for one person they should do it for everyone.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you already have bad knees or "A" bad knee, then Package isnt for you. No matter what your excuses are, the package job is too brutal for bad knees. The clutch is the last worry you should concern yourself with. WALKING alone will wipe out your knees. Lifting over 70 pound packages or repetitively lifting packages near 70 will overload your knees to the point where you will require surgery.

Getting in and out of the package car will speed up the damage to your knees. Climbing stairs at condos or apartments will finish them off alltogether.

A driver has to be physically fit from top to bottom in order to do this job correctly. Coming into package with a bum knee only guarantees one thing, and that is, you wont see 10 years of service before you will be unable to do the job or walk normally any longer.

Even with an automatic package car, you still have to get in and out of the truck a couple of hundred times a day and this will be more than you can take after a brief period on the job.

If you would like to test your knees now, try this. Go to an apartment complex and carry an object approximately 40 pounds, and climb all the stairs in the complex for about 1.5 hours.

If you can walk after that time, then you have a chance in package, if not, sign up for management, i am sure Hoaxster can teach you how to eat donuts and drink coffee and make bad decisions. :peaceful:

He has a degree in SWAG.

TOS

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You say its your left knee right??? Why not make an X with your legs and clutch with your right foot and brake and gas with your left? With a lot of practice, this should be second nature.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You say its your left knee right??? Why not make an X with your legs and clutch with your right foot and brake and gas with your left? With a lot of practice, this should be second nature.

I gotta tell you, I think I finally found a member here that I enjoy less than you.

You get a free pass for a while.

(Was that vanilla enough?)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
thepickoff, I suggest you try to bid into an air driver job, or try Saturday air driving. From my personal experience, I would estimate the workload is about 1/2 that of package. That should give you a pretty good idea of what you would be in for. Current top rate for part time air drvr is $24.74, only takes 2 years (or enough reports as an exception air drvr) to reach that.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Here's the truth:

Package is the hardest classification, period. You will work your butt off in the heat, wind, rain, snow, cold, day and night. You will run, sprint, jump, carry, push, pull and will yourself to complete your day in an incredibly small window of time, in proportion to your load. However, it can be the most rewarding as you will wear the shield and don your browns as the face of UPS.

If you are banged up now, you will be broken in a few years. Don't put yourself in the situation where your production and value as a driver becomes a liability to your center, thus putting your job in jeopardy. Not everyone gets to play in the NFL, NBA and MLB, and the same goes for being a package driver for UPS. You know right now whether this job is a fit for you. There are plenty of other career paths at UPS that will lead to substantial income. Don't get hung up on driving. Good luck to you.

At the very least I see myself remaining part time to retain my health benefits and retirement when it comes to that. It is discouraging that driving may not be a possibility. I have done driver helper a few times so I have had an idea of the demands of stepping up and down from the car. I would take it that braces are frowned upon even when they provide support? It's just how older manuals were designed and associated with the notorious 'clutch knee' that gives me problems. The easier clutches don't give me problems with how I'm seated. Like I mentioned training on a manual just for a few days would end hopes of package driving before I even would get started so I don't see myself being an air driver in that case then.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You've worked for UPS 6 years but your knee problem is unrelated to work?
A part time employee puts in the time, and by then their body is too broken to do the job they've been waiting for. Take the job and make what you can while you still can.

Hondo's suggestion of Sat. air driver is probably the best option, but I wouldn't pass up any bid that raised my pay. You put in the time, you've earned it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Knee braces, or other medical support devices, are allowed, but must be worn underneath your uniform which, as in the case with back belts, defeat their purpose.

I think you may be underestimating the wear and tear your already suspect knee will have to endure if you do become a driver.

Johney

At the very least I see myself remaining part time to retain my health benefits and retirement when it comes to that. It is discouraging that driving may not be a possibility. I have done driver helper a few times so I have had an idea of the demands of stepping up and down from the car. I would take it that braces are frowned upon even when they provide support? It's just how older manuals were designed and associated with the notorious 'clutch knee' that gives me problems. The easier clutches don't give me problems with how I'm seated. Like I mentioned training on a manual just for a few days would end hopes of package driving before I even would get started so I don't see myself being an air driver in that case then.
Just stay p/t why hurt yourself more. Braces like upstate said are the same at our building.I know of at least 10 people in my building who have 25 years or more of p/t and love it they just never had any desire to go driving or have tried it and said no way.

Back first

My bad I was just guessing driver top rate minis. 5 dollars an hour. In my center we have bids for article 22 jobs all the time. I have 14 years seniority and I would have no problem getting in to one of those jobs. Choose not to take the pay cut.

PT Car Washer

Hondo's idea is a great one. Especially Saturday air driver.
Yes it's a great idea. Except he was wrong about the 1/2 the work thing. More like a 1/10 or 1/20. Take out 20 air stops. Mostly letters or small package's. Have until noon to get it done. Drive the small automatics. Top pay after 2 years. Best job at UPS.