Opt in-Opt out list victory!

• Thread starter dont want to be known
  • Start date

tieguy

Banned
Give it a rest. I've slapped the taste out of your mouth on these boards. I'm surprised you haven't put me on ignore like the rest of the people who can't handle reality.

put you on ignore? I have too much fun slapping your stupid behind around. I'm surprised someone has not accused you of being a management suck up the way you keep serving me shots to kill you with.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
my center manager told me last week that the opt in/opt out list language only protects the full-time drivers in our center. there is no protection for cover drivers so they can work them over 9.5 as many times as like without consequence from the cover drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

The list went up in our district recently. Only about a third of the full-timers have signed it. Most of the drivers that haven't signed have no idea what the list is even for. There are more people in the center that aren't in the union than I thought. They don't know squat about the new contract and some of them don't even realize that we are under the new contract (minus economical language) right now. I was trying to explain how the list works to four drivers the other day and they just laughed and blew me off when I told them that by not signing it they could be sent out over 9.5 everyday and they wouldn't be able to grieve it. Three of them have over 20 years with UPS and since I only have 10 they assumed I didn't know what I was talking about and laughed among themselves about what I was trying to tell them. In the end the joke will be on them I think. They just don't understand that by not signing the list they are giving up their right to grieve for being dispatched over 9.5.

happyboy

I'd like to see them post a over 8 list because im sick and tired of working over 8 hours every day, I'm happy they posted the 9.5 list i hope it works, I think a better idea would be for the Unions to lobby Congress to raise the overtime pay from time and a half to double time I mean really how long has it been time and a half anyway. we come out on the short end of the deal working over time, we pay more in income tax, we are at work longer than we want to be, we are away from our family longer.

New Englander

my center manager told me last week that the opt in/opt out list language only protects the full-time drivers in our center. there is no protection for cover drivers so they can work them over 9.5 as many times as like without consequence from the cover drivers.

I DO hope you called him/her on it.
There is no difference in the contract based upon bid route driver or bid cover driver.

To even think that there is......lol!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ok, but I rarely go over 9.5. If I "opt out" meaning I don't want to work over 9.5, why would I be subjected to a 3-day ride?
Brownie, opt in is saying you don't want more than 2 9.5 hr days a week. Opt out is saying you don't care how many 9.5 hrs you get.
I'm surprised no one caught that.

tourists24

I was trying to explain how the list works to four drivers the other day and they just laughed and blew me off when I told them that by not signing it they could be sent out over 9.5 everyday and they wouldn't be able to grieve it. Three of them have over 20 years with UPS and since I only have 10 they assumed I didn't know what I was talking about and laughed among themselves about what I was trying to tell them. In the end the joke will be on them I think. They just don't understand that by not signing the list they are giving up their right to grieve for being dispatched over 9.5.
You did your part on trying to keep them informed. When sign up time is over and they start complaining then your hands are cleaned. All you can do then is to say "you'll just have to wait for the next list"... keep up your good work

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
There is no difference in the contract based upon bid route driver or bid cover driver.

She told me that the way the language reads, it makes it sound like it only protects the full-timers. She also told me that for clarification purposes it would be a good idea to ask my B.A. That same day I also spoke with the steward in my center about it. He said he would "take care of it." That was on Thursday. I am curious to go back to work and see what he says tomorrow.
Keep in mind that I'm not a bid cover driver. I am still classified as a part-time employee to UPS. My primary job is preload and then when UPS needs a driver, they can ask me to "cover" it.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Brownie, opt in is saying you don't want more than 2 9.5 hr days a week. Opt out is saying you don't care how many 9.5 hrs you get.
I'm surprised no one caught that.

i caught that...i was waiting for one of you more experienced drivers to explain what opting in and opting out meant.

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown
She told me that the way the language reads, it makes it sound like it only protects the full-timers. She also told me that for clarification purposes it would be a good idea to ask my B.A. That same day I also spoke with the steward in my center about it. He said he would "take care of it." That was on Thursday. I am curious to go back to work and see what he says tomorrow.
Keep in mind that I'm not a bid cover driver. I am still classified as a part-time employee to UPS. My primary job is preload and then when UPS needs a driver, they can ask me to "cover" it.

Don't have my contract book in front of me, but it basically states that it only covers full time hourly employees. If you are a part timer/TCD you are not subject to protection under article 37 pertaining to excessive over time.

tourists24

Don't have my contract book in front of me, but it basically states that it only covers full time hourly employees. If you are a part timer/TCD you are not subject to protection under article 37 pertaining to excessive over time.
... all drivers are covered if you wish to be,,,, sign the list when one goes up. If you are a part timer planning on covering any time during the near future,,, sign the list

Griff

Yeah Griff.....the Division Manager is out following you around. LOL!

What planet are you from again? My god! :smart:

That's right, the people who take a stand generally get special attention. In my case nobody can put the nail in the coffin, so they are getting desperate I guess. I'm sorry you wouldn't know anything about these tactics because you're a patsy. Come back and talk to me when you're pushing some real weight up there in New England.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

You are thinking New England though and supplement. Yes, our covers in bids (at least in East New England) are full -time drivers. In some areas though, the covers are run differently.

Ok, but I rarely go over 9.5. If I "opt out" meaning I don't want to work over 9.5, why would I be subjected to a 3-day ride?
If you want to retain the right to file for over 9.5 days, you need to sign the "OPT IN" list. That is saying you want to opt in to the over 9.5 language. " Opt Out" will disqualify you from being able to file.

An YES, Uncle Buster is trying to intimidate you into "opt out" with the threats of 3 day rides and GPS monitoring, yad yada yada. Just do your job as you are contracted to do and all will be fine. TieGuy, you may as well blow that denial smoke somewhere else.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken

thats o.k. tcds don't need protection. if i am out too late and get in a wreck i'll probably just quit and find another job.

New Englander

That's right, the people who take a stand generally get special attention. In my case nobody can put the nail in the coffin, so they are getting desperate I guess. I'm sorry you wouldn't know anything about these tactics because you're a patsy. Come back and talk to me when you're pushing some real weight up there in New England.

Griff....Division Managers do not go out looking to catch drivers doing something wrong. The fact that you need to honestly add that tidbit to your post makes me wonder just how much of what you say is the truth and how much is stretched.

I honestly doubt in real life you act like such a people. Well...I honestly hope you don't.

BTW - Do you honestly know what the slang term "patsy" really alludes to? It doesn't fit my online persona lol.

Griff

Griff....Division Managers do not go out looking to catch drivers doing something wrong. The fact that you need to honestly add that tidbit to your post makes me wonder just how much of what you say is the truth and how much is stretched.

I honestly doubt in real life you act like such a people. Well...I honestly hope you don't.

BTW - Do you honestly know what the slang term "patsy" really alludes to? It doesn't fit my online persona lol.

So you're the official authority on the job description of a division manager now? It's funny that you think a division manager is like a god or something, this makes me think you are a center manager. Do you have your division manager's picture up in your bathroom for your morning routine or what? You sound an awful lot like lieguy and you're admitting that your time here is nothing more than an act (persona) now.

patsy
Main Entry:
pat·sy
Pronunciation:
\ˈpat-sē\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s)plural pat·sies
Etymology:
perhaps from Italian pazzo fool
Date:
: a person who is easily manipulated or victimized : pushover

browniehound

If you want to retain the right to file for over 9.5 days, you need to sign the "OPT IN" list. That is saying you want to opt in to the over 9.5 language. " Opt Out" will disqualify you from being able to file.

An YES, Uncle Buster is trying to intimidate you into "opt out" with the threats of 3 day rides and GPS monitoring, yad yada yada. Just do your job as you are contracted to do and all will be fine. TieGuy, you may as well blow that denial smoke somewhere else.

I'm on the preload "call in" list, meaning if the preload needs help they call full-time drivers in, in seniority order if you wish to be. Depending on the season, on average I get called twice per week with an automatic 11 hours when it happens.

I like working the preload. I like OT when its early and hate it when its late (after 7pm). So I guess, I'm going to "opt out" so I can still get my OT in the AM.

Problem is, with everyone "opting in" will I get a heavier dispatch because I opted out? No difference to me because I get paid by the hour. I have no life and don't mind working OT. If I really need to be somewhere I guess I can ask for 8 hours or bang out sick.

That being said, my personal opinion about the over 9.5 articles is that it really sucks. I think it should either be keep everyone under 9.5 (with exception of course) or dispatch the area of the route as is.

Remember the days when your route was "your route" ? I'd be happy with that even if it meant going over 10 once or twice per week. When it was "our" route there was a lot less headaches.

Now, in the process of trying to even the dispatch we get left with many more problems than what we wanted to fix. More miles driven, more misloads, less efficiency due to a driver not knowing a section he gets on the dispatcher's whim:sick:. The worst is when they cut a route and stick a section heavy in businesses is section 8000:sick:.

What this means is I now must break off my area to make service on these packages. Where I need to go is 2 miles from my nearest stop. On a map it shows the section is adjacent to my route. Problem is, its adjacent to the end on my route and if I did it last there would be many service failures. I just don't understand why this person is allowed to keep his job. Does anyone have an opinion on this?