Option Days screw up

lovemyupser

So my husband was told that there wasn't enough work so they told him not to come in and he used a option day from his option 3 for paid time off. This was the week ending Jan 30, 2010. When we looked at his pay check on Feb 5 it wasn't there. The hubby gave them a chance to fix it to be paid on this payday. He had me check to make sure it was there and it was there, but it said sickpay 1 hour. Everyone is trying to figure out what went wrong. To think these managers have degrees, now that is a laughing joke. My husband is never one to complain but he is now since we are paying a lawyer $250 an hour to fight a custody battle. We were told tonight that it might be another week before they can get that fixed. They said that they have to figure out why the did a sickpay pay out for 1 hour and then look and see why the 8 hours didn't get paid. Question is, isn't there something in the contract that states they have to pay extra for messing up the pay. I had to cover there butts last week for the mess up and now again this week. When I have to tell the lawyer its going to be another week before I can send him the check. We are a one income family and this is not cool of UPS to do. The funny part of it all is, when they over pay you they take there money back faster than you can think. But when they owe you money its slower than snail mail.

L

Loufan

Wait, you're paying $250 dollars an hour to fix one days worth of work? Maybe I'm reading this block of text wrong or something. Couldn't he just go to the Union and get help instead of wasting money on a lawyer? Unless he is management then I don't know what to tell ya. Good luck though.

Dark_Team_135

She said "we are paying a lawyer $250 an hour to fight a custody battle". Sounds like something outside of the pay issue at UPS. Here is the language about correcting pay errors and the penalties if not done in a timely manner from Article 17 of the National Master Agreement:

Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after
reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until
corrected.

tieguy

Banned
So my husband was told that there wasn't enough work so they told him not to come in and he used a option day from his option 3 for paid time off. This was the week ending Jan 30, 2010. When we looked at his pay check on Feb 5 it wasn't there. The hubby gave them a chance to fix it to be paid on this payday. He had me check to make sure it was there and it was there, but it said sickpay 1 hour. Everyone is trying to figure out what went wrong. To think these managers have degrees, now that is a laughing joke. My husband is never one to complain but he is now since we are paying a lawyer $250 an hour to fight a custody battle. We were told tonight that it might be another week before they can get that fixed. They said that they have to figure out why the did a sickpay pay out for 1 hour and then look and see why the 8 hours didn't get paid. Question is, isn't there something in the contract that states they have to pay extra for messing up the pay. I had to cover there butts last week for the mess up and now again this week. When I have to tell the lawyer its going to be another week before I can send him the check. We are a one income family and this is not cool of UPS to do. The funny part of it all is, when they over pay you they take there money back faster than you can think. But when they owe you money its slower than snail mail.

Everytime I read one of these types of posts I see a domineering wife trying to push her husband to do her bidding.

your husband can file for penalty pay. You're right he should be paid properly.
Each center has a job sheet and operations report to track how people are paid. Your husband can save himself a lot of heartache by reviewing that information before the week is finalized to ensure he was coded properly.
I'm assuming the conversations you mention above were with your husband and not with "We"
As I read this post I found myself wondering why someone so hard up for money is not also working to help her husband.

old levi's

blank space
Everytime I read one of these types of posts I see a domineering wife trying to push her husband to do her bidding. ...........................................

Is there any other kind? Where can one be purchased? ( the non-domineering type)

Last edited:

lovemyupser

Ok guys thanks. You all are great at making me laugh with your sense of humor. The reason I do not work is because I was in the Military and was medically discharged because I broke my leg on a field training exercise. The bone healed wrong when now can not be fixed. So I collect a check each month from the VA. I stay home with our 4 year old plus go to school full time. I am not a pushy wife, I just hate when UPS messes up and the managers say oh well. My husband is a driver.

Yes the $250 is for a custody lawyer. We are fighting my ex husband on custody. Long story. It always seems like the managers at this center have a excuse for everything that happens. But the husband did get to the bottom of it. The manager that but in wrote 1 in the hour slot instead of the day slot of the paper. So now this manager is saying its going to be another week before he can get this money. Its not that we are living pay check to pay check, we can pay all our bills just fine. But we have a lawyer to pay that we send the extra cash to.

Thanks again guys for your help

705red

Browncafe Steward
Have you husband if hes willing (dont beat him if he doesnt)lol, file for penaly pay, that would be 4 hours a wek until they correct it. Maybe a little extra towards the attorney, or a nice weekend for the family.

UPSGUY72

Technically speaking they don't owe your husband money he still has that Option day if they didn't use it for that day. Now your husband probably said I'll just take the day off and when you found out you flipped out. If your husband is a full time driver it would only be (8 x 29) = $232.00 minus taxes so about $200 or less for that day. Don't worry it's not use it or lose it they pay your husband that day either when he uses it or at the end of the vacation year. If being short $200 is a big problem you need to read just your spending habbits and get another job your husband workss hard for his $1200 week.

tieguy

Banned
Ok guys thanks. You all are great at making me laugh with your sense of humor. The reason I do not work is because I was in the Military and was medically discharged because I broke my leg on a field training exercise. The bone healed wrong when now can not be fixed. So I collect a check each month from the VA. I stay home with our 4 year old plus go to school full time. I am not a pushy wife, I just hate when UPS messes up and the managers say oh well. My husband is a driver.

Yes the $250 is for a custody lawyer. We are fighting my ex husband on custody. Long story. It always seems like the managers at this center have a excuse for everything that happens. But the husband did get to the bottom of it. The manager that but in wrote 1 in the hour slot instead of the day slot of the paper. So now this manager is saying its going to be another week before he can get this money. Its not that we are living pay check to pay check, we can pay all our bills just fine. But we have a lawyer to pay that we send the extra cash to.

Thanks again guys for your help

In fairness to your husbands management team there are payroll screw ups that can not be easily explained. At one point each district had their own payroll department. When a supervisor had payroll issues he could sit down with the payroll person and get it resolved. Now everything is done out of columbus ohio and payroll is not only not-accessible but they refuse to take calls from district operations. Too busy to talk to us.:)

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In fairness to your husbands management team there are payroll screw ups that can not be easily explained. At one point each district had their own payroll department. When a supervisor had payroll issues he could sit down with the payroll person and get it resolved. Now everything is done out of columbus ohio and payroll is not only not-accessible but they refuse to take calls from district operations. Too busy to talk to us.:)

Sounds like more penalty pay to come...

lovemyupser

The husband was told that they would try to put it in so it could be sent nest day air. When he told me that I said ok we will see. So of course no next day air. The only thing I could see that messed that up was our mailing address is a PO BOX. But I ship and receive UPS packages at least twice a week if not more. Most of the drivers hate delivering my boxes since I do sell Avon to make extra cash. I am really good at it, and they have a long walk to my door and hate bringing the 5-8 boxes. So now they just have my husband take them in the morning before they all head out. But I ship lots of other things and UPS is so much cheaper than the good old post office. My husband said he will check to see if it was left at the center Monday. If there is nothing there he wants me to call the union rep. Since I know the union rep I know he will get it taken care of. Like they always say, its nice having friends on the inside. UPS should know not to do this to their guys. I see how hard they work there butts off. So we will see what happens Monday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The husband was told that they would try to put it in so it could be sent nest day air. When he told me that I said ok we will see. So of course no next day air. The only thing I could see that messed that up was our mailing address is a PO BOX. But I ship and receive UPS packages at least twice a week if not more. Most of the drivers hate delivering my boxes since I do sell Avon to make extra cash. I am really good at it, and they have a long walk to my door and hate bringing the 5-8 boxes. So now they just have my husband take them in the morning before they all head out. But I ship lots of other things and UPS is so much cheaper than the good old post office. My husband said he will check to see if it was left at the center Monday. If there is nothing there he wants me to call the union rep. Since I know the union rep I know he will get it taken care of. Like they always say, its nice having friends on the inside. UPS should know not to do this to their guys. I see how hard they work there butts off. So we will see what happens Monday.

Are you the lady who got a driver in trouble because he misdelivered your Avon next door and, rather than call your husband and ask him to speak to the driver in question, you decided to call the toll free number and file a complaint? Thanks for being a team player.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Everytime I read one of these types of posts I see a domineering wife trying to push her husband to do her bidding.

your husband can file for penalty pay. You're right he should be paid properly.
Each center has a job sheet and operations report to track how people are paid. Your husband can save himself a lot of heartache by reviewing that information before the week is finalized to ensure he was coded properly.
I'm assuming the conversations you mention above were with your husband and not with "We"
As I read this post I found myself wondering why someone so hard up for money is not also working to help her husband.
Come on Tie. That wasn't really fair. You imply that this wife is 'domineering wife'. Not saying that is what you meant here but the implication is there. I didn't read anything of the sort.

As far as 'wifey' not working, she said they are fighting a custody battle. I would assume (maybe wrongly) that there are children involved here. I will have to read the rest of the thread to check and see if I was right. ................................................................................................................................

Hmmmm, guess I was right. :wink2:

UPSGUY72

The husband was told that they would try to put it in so it could be sent nest day air. When he told me that I said ok we will see. So of course no next day air. The only thing I could see that messed that up was our mailing address is a PO BOX.

They are not going to send the check to your address your husband is going have to pick it up at the building just like when then hand out the weekly checks. If you look at your avon boxes they have a street address on them.

But I ship and receive UPS packages at least twice a week if not more.

Nothing special about that

Most of the drivers hate delivering my boxes since I do sell Avon to make extra cash. I am really good at it, and they have a long walk to my door and hate bringing the 5-8 boxes.

We deliver boxes allday your AVON boxes aren't making a driver mad. IF it was a really long walk the driver would back into your driveway. IF you had your avon order in when it was suppose to be you wouldn't be paying the extra shipping for UPS to deliver it and it would be delivered on a SAT.

So now they just have my husband take them in the morning before they all head out.

Alot of drivers do this your husband isn't the only one that gets his packages before he leaves the building.

But I ship lots of other things and UPS is so much cheaper than the good old post office.

UPS picks them up at your door not that they are cheaper. your just lazy.

My husband said he will check to see if it was left at the center Monday. If there is nothing there he wants me to call the union rep.

It will be there. Why can't your husband call his Union Rep ??? You must wear the pants in that house.

Since I know the union rep I know he will get it taken care of. Like they always say, its nice having friends on the inside.

You don't have friends on the inside he a union rep he just doing his job.

UPS should know not to do this to their guys. I see how hard they work there butts off. So we will see what happens Monday.

UPS didn't do anything your husband probably said he just take the day off without pay and you fliped out when he got his check the next week. IT was and option day He would have gotten paid for that at the end of the vacation year either way.

I think UPSTATENYUPSER hit it right on the head.