Option days.....what are my rights?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I put my request for option days in about a month ago. At least 5 weeks in advance of the dates that I wanted off due a family event that I must attend. Not only that, I informed management early this spring that this was coming in the fall.
The request sat untouched until today.....all days were denied. This is apparently due to the fact that one our full time drivers is transferring to feeders and that is the first week of his training. He was informed of his transfer last week....Friday. Because of his training, we will be supposedly short handed. The college kids are moving in....yet we still have drivers laid-off.

Advice?

cino321

1. Check your local supplement on option day language regarding how many days you are requesting and when
2. If this was my local, this is what I would do

File a grievance.

If you are the highest seniority driver requesting the days off than they belong to you, regardless of their staffing needs. Like you said they have drivers that are laid off.

gman042

There are no other drivers requesting days off that week. The language of the contract says that on any given day there must be an option day available to any driver who requests it. Do operational needs trump personal needs?

gman042

Just want to be informed when I go chew the boss out.
Want a leg to stand on. Not up on all the details of the union contract.

over9five

Staff member
Family comes first, whether or not people are laid off.

OP, make the call and enjoy the time with your family.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Central Region Supplement Article 15 Section 1:

An Employee must make his/her request for the optional holiday a minimum of 8 days in advance. The company will respond within twenty four hours with aproval or disapproval. The company will not unreasonably deny the request. The company will allow a minimum of one optional holiday per day in each center.

gman042

Was discussing the option day issue with my supervisor this morning. She said there will be no option days available during that week because she need all hands on deck. She cannot do that. Says so right in the union rules. The company will allow a minimum of one optional holiday per day in each center.

over9five

Staff member
They most certainly can disregard the contract. It will get them through this week when they're shorthanded. Next week you can greive it, but it'll be too late for you.

Bang in.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I put my request for option days in about a month ago. At least 5 weeks in advance of the dates that I wanted off due a family event that I must attend. Not only that, I informed management early this spring that this was coming in the fall.
The request sat untouched until today.....all days were denied. This is apparently due to the fact that one our full time drivers is transferring to feeders and that is the first week of his training. He was informed of his transfer last week....Friday. Because of his training, we will be supposedly short handed. The college kids are moving in....yet we still have drivers laid-off.

Advice?
mother-phone-holding_~x22609956.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Their failure to react does not make an emergency on your part. Call off, personal. No problems there, except the unpaid day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Your option is to call out and option 3 it. I still have 4 days left myself and burning one this Tuesday for a 4 day weekend. If you still have paid option days this late in the year you're in the minority. All those 3-4 work week drivers can cover your shift as their days were most likely burnt by Feb. Let management worry about which of the 5 people that coded as layoff will work, you worry about spending time with your family.

gman042

Your option is to call out and option 3 it. I still have 4 days left myself and burning one this Tuesday for a 4 day weekend. If you still have paid option days this late in the year you're in the minority. All those 3-4 work week drivers can cover your shift as their days were most likely burnt by Feb. Let management worry about which of the 5 people that coded as layoff will work, you worry about spending time with your family.

Our option days renew the first of August. We get 4 a year. It is strange how all the different locals have different but very specific language.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Our option days renew the first of August. We get 4 a year. It is strange how all the different locals have different but very specific language.
Intresting, we get 7 and they reset in Jan. Regardless, if you got the days, use them. It's like you scheduling vacation and they say you can't take it at the last minute, they are short handed. Screw that, they don't give a crap about you or your family, just return it in kind.

M

MenInBrown

At my center you must have your option day filed 8 days in advance and they must deny 7 days in advance...this has become such an issue at our center that drivers dont even fill out that piece of paper anymore...they just call in sick when they need off.

packagemandan

Option days are used at the employees discression, as far as management is concerned no days are convienant, we just call in the worst that can happen is a warning letter Ouch(lol) win win. You put the notice in way to early should have waited till the week before as contract states. Must be denied in writing within 24 hours, option days are yours to use! Use them wisely.

over9five

Staff member
Option days are used at the employees discression, as far as management is concerned no days are convienant, we just call in the worst that can happen is a warning letter Ouch(lol) win win. You put the notice in way to early should have waited till the week before as contract states. Must be denied in writing within 24 hours, option days are yours to use! Use them wisely.

Aint that the truth!