Option weeks and the new contract

Packmule

Well, now that the new contract is in effect, I am wondering if it is going to be enforced the way it reads. In our part of the country, it was negotiated that we would be able to convert 2 weeks into floating option days, a something high seniority drivers with higher vacation numbers may want to do. The second week of this was forced to be selected as a scheduled full week only because the new contract was on hold. It was also suggested around our area, that when the new contract finally ratified, we may be able to go back into the vacation schedule and select an unused week to convert to floating days.
So, I'm ready to convert.
Where is the union on this issue and has anybody else heard this kind of idea.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In our local we allowed people to go ahead and use the new language and break up the two weeks when we selected our vacations in November

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would like to add that it will not be your option week being divvied up into single days, rather regular 45 hour vacation weeks under this new agreement.
So instead of being paid 10 hours for single day vacations, you will now receive 9 hours per.
The option week will still be paid at 50 hours, so the money is a wash under this new system.
Like grgcr88, my building has operated under the new system this entire vacation season.

This my take on Central Region language.

Last edited:

Packmule

We were told "no can do till contract ratified." You would think, that just every now and then, there would be a little uniformity in this outfit.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I always bid out my optional n sick days into 2 extra weeks of vacation. Id rather have an extra 2 weeks of vacation since I hardly ever call out. If they have extras and I want a day off ill just take an unpaid day. Makes a big difference as you get older to get those 2 extra weeks of rest and have 9 days off. I always though it was funny as hell when somebody takes an optional day that Friday before their on vacation. Im like dude you already have 9 days off in a row like that 1 day is going to make a difference. Stupid if you ask me but plenty of idiots do it though lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I schedule my vacations with the holiday for the extra pay.

I am off Thanksgiving week specifically for the two days of holiday pay and will be curious to see how that all plays out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's one of the most frustrating things as a driver with this company to have the vacation language implemented the same way across the board.

I would prefer that vacation selection be changed as follows. First round--everyone chooses 2 weeks. Second round--- everyone left chooses 2 weeks. Third round---everyone left chooses their remaining weeks.

By The Book

I would prefer that vacation selection be changed as follows. First round--everyone chooses 2 weeks. Second round--- everyone left chooses 2 weeks. Third round---everyone left chooses their remaining weeks.
That's probably something lower seniority drivers would love. The higher seniority guys won't because they were made to take what's left when they were climbing the ladder.

By The Book

I have 25 years in.
I have 27 in and it's refreshing to hear someone think of the lower seniority guys in a positive light. I guess things that could influence a 25 year driver to suggest that idea may be the kids are grown and gone, or something that the summers off are not a big priority any longer.

I would like to add that it will not be your option week being divvied up into single days, rather regular 45 hour vacation weeks under this new agreement.
So instead of being paid 10 hours for single day vacations, you will now receive 9 hours per.
The option week will still be paid at 50 hours, so the money is a wash under this new system.
Like grgcr88, my building has operated under the new system this entire vacation season.

This IS my take on Central Region language.
:):):)

By The Book

Out here in the west/north, we have 2 option weeks plus the regular weeks by seniority. Some here schedule their option weeks late in the year so if they need cash they can cash them out and work. We are not allowed to cash out regular weeks any more. I was told it was for the utility guys to get some experience so when they go full time they can make book. I think to be able to cash out 2 weeks is plenty fair and we all know with these hours we work we need to rest the old bones and detox.