order of on and off car routine?

ibleedbrown

We deliver cardboard, not babies, don't over complicate it.

trust me it's not me over complicating things its the anal integrad teachers that make everything over complicated, they try to overwhelm you with everything by design. i am just trying to find out as much as possible before getting to class so i'm not as freaked out as everyone else will be lol. thanks to this site i feel i will have way more knowledge about the class than i would have if i never asked these questions on here. i actually talked to an integrad teacher in training and several drivers who have recently been to integrad and they along with members of this site have been very helpful.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They want you to honk upon arriving in front of the stop. In my training I was told to honk after killing the engine. They'll tell you when they want you to do it if they have a requirement.

In the real world the only time I honk at a stop:
1) If I'm on a street where I have to park behind parked cars or double park or a parking lot where I want to make my presence known so my truck doesn't get backed into.
2) If I'm pulling up to a house I haven't been to that looks like it might have dogs
3) When I want to alert a business I've arrived as some of them like to come out to meet you, or at residences if you have several packages or a heavy package in hopes the consignee can help you out. Believe it or not this sometimes works and people are often happy to help you with their packages if they see you could use the help.
4) Before (and during?) backing.

As for announcing verbally I was only trained to verbally announce UPS when you see signs of a dog (and jingle your keys), or if there isn't a doorbell.

The smooth car routine, when to do what at a stop, etc will primarily be trained by your on car sup in the first few days. They'll touch on it during driver school too.

You are filling in quite nicely for a certain poster no longer on this site...keep it up nancy

Coldworld

60 months and counting
From what I understand, the only "number" I have to worry about is my SPORH: Stops Per On Road Hour. It is different for every route. It is this number that the 3-Day OJS seeks to improving by observing your methods, and of they can correct your methods to cause significant improvement in your SPORH (and by extension your other numbers), the OJS goes into your file; if you start performing badly based on your SPORH, then the company can begin you in the discipline tract. None of the other numbers really matter, but are an indication your SPORH is suffering. Now, how one's SPORH is calculated, I don't know, but that is the number, at least in my local, we must watch. Is that true in all locals, company-wide?

But if your over under we're calculated better they wouldn't be going out with you....it's a scam thought up by a large corporation to make you go faster....period end of story.

S

serenity now

They want you to honk upon arriving in front of the stop. In my training I was told to honk after killing the engine. They'll tell you when they want you to do it if they have a requirement.

In the real world the only time I honk at a stop:
1) If I'm on a street where I have to park behind parked cars or double park or a parking lot where I want to make my presence known so my truck doesn't get backed into.
2) If I'm pulling up to a house I haven't been to that looks like it might have dogs
3) When I want to alert a business I've arrived as some of them like to come out to meet you, or at residences if you have several packages or a heavy package in hopes the consignee can help you out. Believe it or not this sometimes works and people are often happy to help you with their packages if they see you could use the help.
4) Before (and during?) backing.

As for announcing verbally I was only trained to verbally announce UPS when you see signs of a dog (and jingle your keys), or if there isn't a doorbell.

The smooth car routine, when to do what at a stop, etc will primarily be trained by your on car sup in the first few days. They'll touch on it during driver school too.

i don't know what kind of stealth truck you drive / the dogs, if any, are all jacked up when i'm still a quarter mile away

S

serenity now

30 years? wow, respect!!! any idea how much longer you're gonna continue before retiring? you never thought of going into feeders?

won't go to feeders * the length of this next contract will determine the max that i will stay, because i will leave before another contract

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
i don't know what kind of stealth truck you drive / the dogs, if any, are all jacked up when i'm still a quarter mile away

Most dogs I see on a daily basis are the same way but there have been a couple times that dogs have been silent until I was coming around the side of a house then started growling and snapping at me. Those are the kind I worry about. The horn probably doesn't help with that but I'll take what I can get.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I am not picking on anybody, really. But, I just re-read this whole thread, and it just reinforced my relief to almost be done with UPS.

PAS/EDD started the technology revolution to dumb down the job, and ORION has advanced it. No original thought is needed anymore to think your day through.

Integrad/driver schools teach and demand adherence to so many set routines, that new drivers are being taught to be perfect little automatons that follow every directive.

And, telematics enforces all.

Good luck, people. It can only get worse.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I am not picking on anybody, really. But, I just re-read this whole thread, and it just reinforced my relief to almost be done with UPS.

PAS/EDD started the technology revolution to dumb down the job, and ORION has advanced it. No original thought is needed anymore to think your day through.

Integrad/driver schools teach and demand adherence to so many set routines, that new drivers are being taught to be perfect little automatons that follow every directive.

And, telematics enforces all.

Good luck, people. It can only get worse.

I totally know where you're coming from, but I still put a lot of thought into a strategy for my day. I have a good trace overall but I'm constantly customizing my day instead of blindly following EDD. Today I probably was only about 50% to EDD because I had a lot of opportunities to make my day smoother and faster but I'm usually about 80 plus % to EDD.

ibleedbrown

Stepford drivers that all speak in the same monotone...............

lol thats a good one! from what i hear most of the bs they teach u goes out the window once ur out there on ur own, but i think a lot of the training will actually help, see i'm brainwashed already lol!!!!