Orientation complete! What next?

Scuderia1

I have finished my orientation. Here is my schedule. It is a little different.

The first in-class portion is finished. We shadow a driver Monday and Tues then day off. Then on Thursday the final exam. Friday off, I was advised after that who knows what could happen.

Is there a chance they can delay the job? After orientation it doesn't make sense. Does anybody know about first 30 days?

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

The first in-class portion is finished. We shadow a driver Monday and Tues then day off. Then on Thursday the final exam. Friday off, I was advised after that who knows what could happen.

Is there a chance they can delay the job? After orientation it doesn't make sense. Does anybody know about first 30 days?

Sent using BrownCafe App
There are finals at UPS?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You are at the mercy of volume and driver vacations. Learn as many routes as you can even if it means going out in the blind. The more routes you know, the more likely they will find something for you to do.

PT Car Washer

He is trying to qualify. Will be on one route the whole 30 days. Hopefully. May have to wait for a sup who knows the training route is available to train you.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Assume the position, I believe, is the proper response to your question.

Scuderia1

Sounds good, they say it's good to arrive early so your days better. Do you folks do that and how early? All that I guess is off the clock right?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rainman

Its all good.
Find out where they plan on training you and go out in your personal vehicle between now and then and learn as much about the area as you can.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Pooter

To qualify I'd say 1 hour before start time so you can map out your Next day airs (NDA) and not feel rushed. Go over what stops you have and try to visualize the trace with your map.

Center and steward varies so ask your steward if you are able to set up a few stops before start time. Grouping your NDAs with their ground helps. After a week you should be familiar with the load and adjust things to make you faster.

I advise doing this ONLY while trying to qualify. Don't touch the load before start time once qualified.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
To qualify I'd say 1 hour before start time so you can map out your Next day airs (NDA) and not feel rushed. Go over what stops you have and try to visualize the trace with your map.

Center and steward varies so ask your steward if you are able to set up a few stops before start time. Grouping your NDAs with their ground helps. After a week you should be familiar with the load and adjust things to make you faster.

I advise doing this ONLY while trying to qualify. Don't touch the load before start time once qualified.
Do whatever you can to give yourself an edge while trying to make seniority, but don't ask a steward if you can prep your load off the clock because any good steward will tell you not to because if you get hurt the company will attempt to argue that you were not on the clock and contractually you can't start early if senior employees aren't allowed to start early.

Pooter

Just depends on center. I lucked out since my steward and center manager allowed prepping off the clock to help with qualifying. Most of our senior drivers know newbies need all the help just to scratch and won't press that issue.

Once qualified, No driver works off the clock :)