ORION 1.1 - New upgrade

S

selfcancelsignal

I had an Orion ride on Wednesday and it clearly DOESN'T work as intended. He had the Orion tablet that wanted me to drive on walking paths. My backs are through the roof because of Orion turn arounds.
It does not give me mileage credit for long driveways.

Yes, some changes were made, but it was clear that a one day ride is simply not enough to correct all the problems.

I agree with Hefferan. Orion should be a tool, not a result.
How does one obtain mileage credit for long driveways in the DIAD?

novadriver

The first couple days I ran a heavy business route I cover in orion it only wants me to deliver half of the packages then go to another stop deliver then come back to the bulk stop and finish delivering the other half.. like wtffffffff... My on car was with me and asked why I didn't deliver all the packages the first time. He saw the board and was as confused as i was, when he did a ride along, he told me to TURN IT OFF!!!

novadriver

ORION will be a bust no matter how many upgrades it gets. Real world conditions will make sure of that. I am not looking forward to the day when there is no more RDO because the trucks are loaded based on ORION solutions. At least now I am able to work from RDO. Stops just come off smoother/faster that way. ORION just makes me stay in the back of the truck and dig more.
If they PAL'd all the pkgs for orion like they do rdo it might work better, but then I have to relearn the route again and the path ive already memorized.

ManInBrown

I believe pick up compliance is now + or - 30 minutes on O Ryan. Doesn't matter, I pick mine up in the same order I always have at their usual times. I am one of probably few that likes seeing & using the pickups from the EDD list instead of the old scheduled list.
The pickups on my route are very light. Couple house stops. Couple businesses. Luckily for me the business stops are left outside and can be picked up anytime. For that reason I basically get all my pickups whenever I feel like it. Most nights an hour or two after the scheduled time. I've yet to have a single word said to me since orion was implemented, about pickup compliance. They just don't care about that anymore, at least where I am.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

If they PAL'd all the pkgs for orion like they do rdo it might work better, but then I have to relearn the route again and the path ive already memorized.

It's a terrible idea. When the route is bulked out, has a crazy dispatch, or what ORION wants is just plain dangerous it's nice to have the option of running RDO. I refuse to be constantly digging stops out of the back of a bulked out truck while parked in a dangerous road. I will drive from one side of the route to the other to run RDO instead.

With the loads we get nowadays working from front to back, section by section is the safest and most productive way to do the job. If they give me a decent load I will grab some stops on the way to the next stop in RDO. If I get an emaculate load I MIGHT work from ORION. Usually not.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
How does Orion know how much is going out that day?

One day they have 2

30 second pick up

The next day they have 200

20 min pick up

No time to do those 15 residents stops now is there?

The only good that came out of this is on area pick ups in an area that gets moved between multiple routes

Now that pick up gets dispatch to the route that has the work

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I love it when there is a bulk stop on fl4, that has 40 pcs, and also some single stops in the same pile. And the single stops are to be delivered first.

Boulevard859710

You know what cracks me up? They get on us drivers for too many miles but have no problem sending someone out to get misloads then sending them on a 200 mile country tour to deliver them.

PT Car Washer

You know what cracks me up? They get on us drivers for too many miles but have no problem sending someone out to get misloads then sending them on a 200 mile country tour to deliver them.
Tell me about it. Drive from one end of the county to the other end to pick up a misload and either deliver it or chase down the driver so he can say "I already been there and I'm not going back." I shouldn't complain, making top driver pay just to drive around half the day but it sure does gets boring. Anything to keep the Center off another report.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Tell me about it. Drive from one end of the county to the other end to pick up a misload and either deliver it or chase down the driver so he can say "I already been there and I'm not going back." I shouldn't complain, making top driver pay just to drive around half the day but it sure does gets boring. Anything to keep the Center off another report.
They give you top rate to shuttle misloads and left in buildings? They've been paying air rate for that here for years.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Most times they do especially if you are delivering them. Sometimes you have to pick your battles in these situations. Any way it is still easy money.
They don't ever let the air drivers deliver ground misloads and left in buildings here.

Honestly it would probably cost less money then paying them top air rate with the time it takes to meet the driver, then having the friend/t time driver go back somewhere they've already been. But I'm sure it's all about the numbers.

JackStraw

Can someone explain this - if I'm Orion compliant and finish at the exact time Orion says I'll be done - why am I still over-allowed?

I don't care but I don't understand this. If my Orion times are perfect why isn't this scratch?
Because Orion delivers in Clarkville, and you deliver in a real town.

PT Car Washer

The air drivers don't deliver it they just shuttle it between drivers and the center, that's their reasoning. I've always been curious how they get away with this, but the union is fully aware it's going on.
Big blow up last year over Air drivers delivering ground while FT drivers are laid off. Flavor of the week now if air drivers can shuttle ground or deliver ground.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Big blow up last year over Air drivers delivering ground while FT drivers are laid off. Flavor of the week now if air drivers can shuttle ground or deliver ground.
Our top seniority p/t air drivers will do eam, then nda, then shuttle left in buildings and misloads. With Saturday air they can easily get 40-45 hours a week. Should be a friend/T job.

We don't ever have drivers laid off, but IMO if ground left in buildings and misloads need to be shuttled everyday, then it should be a friend/T job. Even our TCDs who didn't get a route for the day are paid as exception air drivers for the work.