Orion Compliance

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And what can they say to him? Looks like he is leading by example.
A better example in this case would be to do the right thing, ignore ORION, and save the time and miles.

Heres a scenario; you have a bulk stop for the school district, 30 or 40 pieces of books and office supplies that are clogging up the aisle and rear of your truck. You are 3 blocks away and can see that their dock is clear. Do you (a) obey ORION and fight thru that bulk for 4 more hours and risk having to handtruck all that crap up a flight of stairs due to the dock being in use later? Or do you (b) ignore ORION and go there immediately in order to purge the bulk while the dock is available? Sorry, but being intentionally stupid and following ORION in this situation would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I choose (b) every time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The turd rolls down hill.

I have a feeling when top level management realizes that its not working that local management are going to be more on top of enforcing Orion because of the heat of from their superiors.

When businesses that generally get their stuff in the morning are pissed because they're getting it at 4pm I tell them that we have a new little system. You can call in and complain if you'd like. Sorry, I don't make up the rules, I just play the game. Several of them have called in and complained. I'm sure whoever's answering the phones is having fun with that :)
i encourage Corporate Complaints. I also give the building number and the name of our center manager and encourage any customers to only deal with him,as he is the "decision maker".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the beginning (late 90's anyway) there was Remote Deferral.

In an effort to save miles, we started intentionally witholding service on certain packages. There was a quota. Reports were printed out, numbers were chased, discipline threatened. Eventually...it passed.

Then came PAS/EDD. Again, it was about saving miles. 85 % compliance was demanded. Reports were printed, numbers were chased, discipline threatened. Eventually...it passed.

Along came Telematics. Idle time and backs were being counted. Once again the quotas were created; reports were printed, numbers were chased, discipline was threatened. Eventually however...it passed.

Now we have ORION, and guess what? Compliance is once again being demanded. Reports are once again being printed, numbers are once again being chased abd discipline is once again being threatened.

As it has before...this too shall pass.

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

In an effort to save miles, we started intentionally witholding service on certain packages. There was a quota. Reports were printed out, numbers were chased, discipline threatened. Eventually...it passed.

Then came PAS/EDD. Again, it was about saving miles. 85 % compliance was demanded. Reports were printed, numbers were chased, discipline threatened. Eventually...it passed.

Along came Telematics. Idle time and backs were being counted. Once again the quotas were created; reports were printed, numbers were chased, discipline was threatened. Eventually however...it passed.

Now we have ORION, and guess what? Compliance is once again being demanded. Reports are once again being printed, numbers are once again being chased abd discipline is once again being threatened.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Each of the programs you mentioned would be useful tools if used properly. The problem is that the powers that be insist we use them for all situations and it becomes a numbers game. It would be like buying a new hammer and being told to use it like a screwdriver.

Rainman

Its all good.

Next......
Sent using BrownCafe App

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I had an Orion guy come up to me this morning and say "You've been under miles for orion all week. What's the key to your success so we can duplicate it.". I smiled and said "every morning after I get EDD I turn Orion off for the day and my brain on.". He stood there with a blank look for about 20 seconds then quietly walked away.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My center manager continues to complain about backs increasing for the center. He says Orion will never ask you to back. He apparently hasn't gotten the memo about the fundamentals of Orion. Orion's main tool is changing directions which means using driveways to turn around. But if we go over miles questions are asked. This is total craziness. Can't have low back counts and meet Orion miles.

Same here, our center on some days, has seen an increase of over 2000 backing incidents now that we are on ORION as a center.

As for me, my route has been taken OFF ORION as I cannot follow the "LAME" instructions that ORION calculates each day.

The engineer has determined that I am running my route in a manner that is more efficient than "trace" that ORION wants me to run it in.

As SOBER has stated, making it clear that acounter directive
i encourage Corporate Complaints. I also give the building number and the name of our center manager and encourage any customers to only deal with him,as he is the "decision maker".

What do you think will happen with this course of action? Atlanta will simply blow smoke up the rear end of the customer complaining and make promises that will never happen, then the complaint will get round filed and nothing will EVER reach the center level.

If Atlanta actually cared about customers, and the customer concerns, we wouldnt be experiencing ORION in the first place.

Customers are no longer a priority. Its pretty clear that the customer is last on the list of UPS priorities.

Compliants rank below that.

TOS.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have been a driver for 26 years now and I have 20 years of area knowledge on my route.

When I started this job, I was going out in a blown-out P6 with paper delivery records on a clipboard. There was no ORION, or EDD or PAS. Sequence numbers were hand-written on each package with a crayon and you had to figure out where your next stops were using common sense and experience.

Managing a route is easy. What makes my life hard is when I am told by management to be intentionally stupid and to intentionally waste time and miles and to intentionally piss off customers in order to generate an ORION compliance metric for a report.

Sorry, but the whole intentional stupidity thing is impossible for me to wrap my head around. I simply cannot do it. This company has spent almost 27 years hard-wiring my DNA to be as productive and efficient as possible, so it cant just flick a switch one day and force me to be stupid. That might work for management people, but not for me. Its like telling somebody to crap their pants on the count of three. It sounds easy enough, but when you actually try to make yourself to do it then all of those years of potty training just kick in automatically and you pucker up and nothing comes out. If that makes me unfit or unworthy to be part of the "new UPS" then so be it; in a few more years I will retire with a clear conscience (and clean underwear) and whoever is hired to replace me can be as stupid as his management team wants him to be.

well i shan't be asking you to soil your Tidy Widy's but I am intriqued by your whole' i'll soon retire so it won't be my problem' attitude.
My center also has many close to retirement and we all understand that a fresh flow of new blood is needed to perpetuate all of our well earned comfortable retirements. We all work safely,as directed,have 100% compliance on EVERYTHING and as a result we are in the process of adding Ten Fulltime Drivers to our building.
so to review: why should be all embrace ORION? A) the company(who pays us the big bucks) directs us to and B) doing so has proven that more FULLTIME people will be added

some people get what i am saying,some don't <shrug>

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Same here, our center on some days, has seen an increase of over 2000 backing incidents now that we are on ORION as a center.

As for me, my route has been taken OFF ORION as I cannot follow the "LAME" instructions that ORION calculates each day.

The engineer has determined that I am running my route in a manner that is more efficient than "trace" that ORION wants me to run it in.

As SOBER has stated, making it clear that acounter directive

What do you think will happen with this course of action? Atlanta will simply blow smoke up the rear end of the customer complaining and make promises that will never happen, then the complaint will get round filed and nothing will EVER reach the center level.

If Atlanta actually cared about customers, and the customer concerns, we wouldnt be experiencing ORION in the first place.

Customers are no longer a priority. Its pretty clear that the customer is last on the list of UPS priorities.

Compliants rank below that.

TOS.
My center manager has to answer to the DM on Excessive Corporate Complaints,and that is sweet

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

TOS.
you are preaching to the Choir on this one . we have been told service has an "Enhanced Definition" now

MethodsMan

The thing that drives me nuts is all the left hand turns it has me doing. I always thought UPS prided themselves and preached all the benefits about using primarily right hand turns. Saves in gas, but throws service and that carbon footprint out the window by sitting their idling all day.

OPTION3

The thing that drives me nuts is all the left hand turns it has me doing. I always thought UPS prided themselves and preached all the benefits about using primarily right hand turns. Saves in gas, but throws service and that carbon footprint out the window by sitting their idling all day.
SAFETY is supposed to be the number 1 reason for right hand turns

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
m,..jpg

cowboys77

That looks really stupid, jumping from 8k section down to the 4k, I'm afraid I don't get it.

Then when your gain, I'm just a dumb truck driver
One dumb truck driver to another orion sucks I just got orion 3 weeks ago. I ran the route 93% by orion went 2 miles over what it said I should have and it took me almost 11 hours. If I turned off orion it would have taken me 9.5 hours. Oh and just try to deliver shelf 8 first when your bulked out!

OPTION3

One dumb truck driver to another orion sucks I just got orion 3 weeks ago. I ran the route 93% by orion went 2 miles over what it said I should have and it took me almost 11 hours. If I turned off orion it would have taken me 9.5 hours. Oh and just try to deliver shelf 8 first when your bulked out!
sucks? how so?----The company GAVE you 1 1/2 hours of overtime,because of their stupidity…the real question is..If you would have been 100% could you have violated DOT curfew AND gotten more overtime?---BANK it man…..BANK IT

iowa boy

SAFETY is supposed to be the number 1 reason for right hand turns

Always remember, safety in this company only matters when someone gets hurt. Otherwise it will always play second fiddle to our infinite set of numbers that we are supposed to meet or exceed every day.

OPTION3

Always remember, safety in this company only matters when someone gets hurt. Otherwise it will always play second fiddle to our infinite set of numbers that we are supposed to meet or exceed every day.
only if you let it be second….they have ZERO control over how safe you work