Orion Compliance

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was looking at my ORION screen on the monitor this morning that lists all your stops in order with an ETA for each one.

It had me doing several of my pickups between 10:00 and 11:00 in the morning.

The scheduled time for these pickups is between 3:30 and 4:00. So in other words...if I work as directed and follow ORION, I will be out of compliance on my pickups. If I work as directed and do my pickups within 15 min of their scheduled time, I will be out of compliance with ORION.

Does the right hand know what the left hand is even doing?

True words there buddy. I asked, "ok who wants to yell first" I got one focused like a missile on my miles, one salivating over my trace, one complaining about my over allow, and another concentrating on my sporh. Another thing which annoys me is you cant look at your diad. Until like the last split second, and everyone is over there studying the screens way before their start time. I end up somewhere different every day at the end of the grueling day, and I get gigged for not coming in the orion way. Well then I guess you should give me a print out of "return home routes, or at least one for that day, coz by then I take the way I know, and no I did not look at the screen and mull over my days work, off the clock, like everyone else.

I was pulled in office for being 40 miles over since I have been on orion accused of running up miles asked them to bring it up on telematix and was told it didn't work with the orion system so that's why I was asking

Sent using BrownCafe App

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was pulled in office for being 40 miles over since I have been on orion accused of running up miles asked them to bring it up on telematix and was told it didn't work with the orion system so that's why I was asking

Sent using BrownCafe App
Thats crap, talk to your ba, now if not sooner.

scisector9

Yup. We are in the process of ORION here. I think about half or 2/3 of our 50 loops are optimized. I heard all the horror stories on these forums and sadly a lot of it is totally true. At my building we now have to have a personal conversation with the center manager if we are more than 5 miles over for the day. I am a cover driver, learned a route Tuesday, ran it by myself Wednesday, was 16 miles over and got grilled for why so many miles over? Really? I don't make excuses when not necessary but I just told my center manager "First time on route solo, it will improve." Craziness.

Also, I know its beating a dead horse, but Orion breaks every rule I've been taught in my short driving career. Back only when necessary, "I'll pay you to drive around the block if you drive past your stop rather than backing unnecessarily", etc. Not to mention customer service and pick up times. On a trace I was on last week scheduled time in board was at 3:15, Orion had me getting there at 2:47. I went there a bit before 3 and shipper was all "Not ready yet, 3:10 or 3:15 is when we get picked up". Orion gives a 30 minute window now for pu compliance. I asked my on car i this was communicated to our customers, response: "Of course not". Orion is measured by stop, and your ability to do a complete 180 from said stop. Not possible. I left building today 20 minutes after start time, and by the time I reached first stop ORION had me having ten stops complete already. Needless to say, I ran straight air and then did my best. Fun.

To be fair to those who don't have ORION at my building it is still "Do what you have to do to take care of customer. Safety, Service, Productivity." But it is still another metric for them to :censored2: with us on. I don't think it will be going away anytime soon.

On the positive, it eliminates some of my stress as a cover driver. Just follow Orion completely and hope for the best. If it falls apart "hey just doing my job". According to a supe ORION will be the largest most accurate mapping system in the United States when all buildings are optimized. "Worth millions and millions they tell me." So, if nothing else, if it doesn't work as promised, UPS can sell it to google or our competitors in the industry and recoop all their losses.

Cheers

FilingBluesFL

The scheduled time for these pickups is between 3:30 and 4:00. So in other words...if I work as directed and follow ORION, I will be out of compliance on my pickups. If I work as directed and do my pickups within 15 min of their scheduled time, I will be out of compliance with ORION.

It's absolutely fascinating, the look on their face when you slap it with Pickup compliance. They tried that BS "Well, we don't know how your building does things around here..." "Really? Then how can you possibly try to talk to me about being out of compliance when YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Absolutely and positively COMPLETE BS.

I've watched what I did the day before on the computer. You are represented by a green arrow on a small map of your "area."

They press the equivalent of a "play" button, and they watch what you did the whole entire day. Every stop, back, turn, etc. etc. That little arrow does EXACTLY what you did that day.

JL 0513

It's absolutely fascinating, the look on their face when you slap it with Pickup compliance. They tried that BS "Well, we don't know how your building does things around here..." "Really? Then how can you possibly try to talk to me about being out of compliance when YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Absolutely and positively COMPLETE BS.

I've watched what I did the day before on the computer. You are represented by a green arrow on a small map of your "area."

They press the equivalent of a "play" button, and they watch what you did the whole entire day. Every stop, back, turn, etc. etc. That little arrow does EXACTLY what you did that day.

Wow, wasn't aware of this ability. I wonder how often someone actually views someones day. And for what reasons.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Not a word has been said about Orion at all this week. It's like we passed the implementation and now they lost interest (for now). No mention at PCMs, no drivers getting talked to about it, no numbers being posted anymore. Weirdness.

Borderline 9.5

I was looking at my ORION screen on the monitor this morning that lists all your stops in order with an ETA for each one.

I also have Orion doing pickups as some of my first stops with airs, as early as 9:30am It even has me doing smart pickups that I probably wouldn't be going to. I ignore it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not a word has been said about Orion at all this week. It's like we passed the implementation and now they lost interest (for now). No mention at PCMs, no drivers getting talked to about it, no numbers being posted anymore. Weirdness.
The brown Kool Aid of ORION has a powerful intoxicating effect on all management who drink it. It causes stupid, compulsive and obsessive behavior when first consumed. Like any drug, however, its effects wear off over time leaving only a hangover. At this point, the grim reality of getting the packages delivered will once again take priority over chasing the false euphoria of ORION.

soberups

After reading all of this, is ANYONE being disciplined for Orion?
And, If so....
What is that procedure being used?
Lots of empty threats and hot air, but no actual discipline in my building. The bottom line is that they cant discipline us for failing to follow conflicting instructions.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Wow, wasn't aware of this ability. I wonder how often someone actually views someones day. And for what reasons.
You know dam well there in there playing kindergarten cop in there 24-7 sweating the stuff they shouldn't sweat instead of solving the real problems which would actually make their lazy azzes actually have to do some real work.

soberups

The bottom line on ORION compliance is this:

If your supervisor is demanding that you comply with ORION, what he is actually telling you is that you are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to make a professional decision about what your next stop should be.

If that is the case...fine. Stop making decisions altogether. If they try to ram 85% compliance down your throat, your response should be to ram 100%
compliance down theirs, and ram it so far that they start crowning at the other end. If you complete a stop and ORION wants you to back into a driveway that you feel is unsafe...shut the engine off, turn on the 4-ways, and message in to the center team and ask them for permission to make a different choice. Sit there for as long as it takes to get a response. Do this at every stop. If they want mindless obedience, then give it to them, no matter how much time gets wasted in the process. Comply. Obey. Make no effort to think or make good decisions....because you are no longer competent to do so. I guarantee you that after an hour or two of having to answer question after stupid question they will see how far behind you are getting and they will tell you to use your best judgment and do whatever is needed to get the damn route done.

rpoz11

OK, a few questions as we dont have this system yet.

Does Orion replace the current EDD system, or does it follow it?
Or is it a whole new mapping?

Ratings...
Currently, routes here have different ratings.
Will Orion change, be modified, or reinvent the way routes will be rated after it is turned on?

The little green arrow...
Is this a benefit or a tool to improve Orion?
Was thinking that if I can beat Orion, will they change Orion to follow my better decisions?
And, would they hold that to the driver over time as a pattern?

Understandably, work changes on a daily basis, as well weather, and customer demands.

How will this be seen?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What a horrible Orion day. 19 miles over, turned it off. 40 air at one place, and it buried an air in the middle of the truck for another place. A 75 pd slab of metal, palled to 1033. Had to break and go try once again to deliver it.
Then I was behind on everything, had two splits of business. Clocked out at nine, was scheduled to be done at 630.
Bulk, heavy bulk, everywhere, everywhere was a dolly. couldnt walk cimb, pushed, pulled yanked til 4 pm. Still delivering commercial at 530.
Last one in, should be a good ass chewing on Monday, Most miserable driver day EVER.

JL 0513

OK, a few questions as we dont have this system yet.

Does Orion replace the current EDD system, or does it follow it?
Or is it a whole new mapping?

Ratings...
Currently, routes here have different ratings.
Will Orion change, be modified, or reinvent the way routes will be rated after it is turned on?

The little green arrow...
Is this a benefit or a tool to improve Orion?
Was thinking that if I can beat Orion, will they change Orion to follow my better decisions?
And, would they hold that to the driver over time as a pattern?

Understandably, work changes on a daily basis, as well weather, and customer demands.

How will this be seen?

To answer the first question, regular EDD delivery order is still viewable on the board but you are to use the new "optimized delivery order" (Orion). EDD is essentially a linear delivery order. So streets are loaded in the board in the same order everyday. With Orion, an enormous amount of calculations are made each morning for the specific stops for that day and produces a "solution" for the day. It attempts to reduce mileage as much as possible. The biggest way it solves this is by having you only drive streets partially instead of driving the length of each street. This of course involves turning around in driveways all day.

Example scenario: Two side streets run parallel off a main road. You have 2 stops on each and they all happen to be numbered on the low end. In the old days, you would enter street A and deliver house 4 & 8 and finish the street if it led to street B on the other end (going around the block). In this example street B has stops at 2 & 7 on the same end as A. What Orion wants you to do is to only drive up to #8 on street A and turn around and proceed to street B and go up to #7 and turn around again because your next stop is likely in the other direction again. But anyway, the solution was to cut out the unnecessary high ends of the streets with no stops. Efficient but breaks established UPS rules.

rpoz11

To answer the first question, regular EDD delivery order is still viewable on the board but you are to use the new "optimized delivery order" (Orion). EDD is essentially a linear delivery order. So streets are loaded in the board in the same order everyday. With Orion, an enormous amount of calculations are made each morning for the specific stops for that day and produces a "solution" for the day. It attempts to reduce mileage as much as possible. The biggest way it solves this is by having you only drive streets partially instead of driving the length of each street. This of course involves turning around in driveways all day.

Example scenario: Two side streets run parallel off a main road. You have 2 stops on each and they all happen to be numbered on the low end. In the old days, you would enter street A and deliver house 4 & 8 and finish the street if it led to street B on the other end (going around the block). In this example street B has stops at 2 & 7 on the same end as A. What Orion wants you to do is to only drive up to #8 on street A and turn around and proceed to street B and go up to #7 and turn around again because your next stop is likely in the other direction again. But anyway, the solution was to cut out the unnecessary high ends of the streets with no stops. Efficient but breaks established UPS rules.

Wont that be fun...
Streets on many areas or not easily 3 pointe turns.
So, essentially, in order to be safe, and at the same time preventing mileage and accidents, Orion can't do the work precisely as algorithmicly conceived.
Because it still takes a human being to make a safe decision where a computer ignores it.
Puhhhhh

rpoz11

I forgot to add something to my post above, as someone here has reminded me of information excluded.

Splits

How in the Hell is anyone going to be liable to management when management makes the decisions to modify an existing route.

Just went thru this with a center manager.
(Total corn fed bone swallowing wanna-be. Sorry, off the record RANT)
Broke him down with his own logic in order to justify his own decisions regarding splits.
When they choose to change Orion to satisfy their own needs and greed, how are we suppose to be superheroes for their poor choices?
Someone in Atlanta needs to tell all center manager's to touch nothing; ever.
Lets see then how long this lasts.

JL 0513

Wont that be fun...
Streets on many areas or not easily 3 pointe turns.
So, essentially, in order to be safe, and at the same time preventing mileage and accidents, Orion can't do the work precisely as algorithmicly conceived.
Because it still takes a human being to make a safe decision where a computer ignores it.
Puhhhhh

Yes, Orion believes you can always turn around right at the stop. Even on 45 mph main roads sometimes! I will only turn around when I can find a wide open driveway with no cars in it. This means I have to drive more of the street than Orion planned. Oh well.