Orion Compliance

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Removing the 15+- would make sense however that wouldn't work for the businesses that close early or want a very specific pickup time. The software needs to plan the route in a way that minimizes travel for breaking off for pickups by calculating accurately where the driver will be when the pickup window hits.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app
Or lunch or anything else or just let the driver do what they do. Last time I rode with a sup I said ok Lets break right here and head into for lunch. We were on a rural route and just a few miles from town. He went on like a 5 minute spill about how me and the regular driver didn't just get to run the route how we wanted so we could take lunch where we wanted. I said yeah we do.

He did understand it was run the route one way and break 2 miles for lunch or run the route "most efficiently" (his way) and break 20 miles for lunch. Lol

Trackless in brown

The one thing about ORION that makes me laugh is that now apparently all drivers now have to take there lunch exactly in trace.. so if your out in a residential area you cant drive a reasonable distance to take a break?...I asked the ORION bot what he suggest I do when I go to lunch and the closest place is about 1/2 mile from my last stop..he said pack my lunch..I told him this isn't 1st grade, my mom dosn"t make my lunch anymore, and the package is not a diner, I told him good luck with trying to enforce that made-up "rule"!!..IDIOTS...LOL

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The one thing about ORION that makes me laugh is that now apparently all drivers now have to take there lunch exactly in trace.. so if your out in a residential area you cant drive a reasonable distance to take a break?...I asked the ORION bot what he suggest I do when I go to lunch and the closest place is about 1/2 mile from my last stop..he said pack my lunch..I told him this isn't 1st grade, my mom dosn"t make my lunch anymore, and the package is not a diner, I told him good luck with trying to enforce that made-up "rule"!!..IDIOTS...LOL
Tell them OSHA says differently. OSHA and DOT are very big words to supervisors. Seems to stump them a lot.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That won't go anywhere. At a minimum you need to be at a place where you can use the restroom and wash the dirt off your hands before you eat. Then they'll try to tell you that your lunch/break begins as soon as you break trace, nope wrong again. Per DOT you can't be on break until you've been relieved of all responsibility for your vehicle.

Pkgcar1988

We were told last Monday that we needed to be 85% compliance. Well Tuesday only hit 83.5%. center manager sent message that I didn't hit the required 85% and need to "make" it happen, if there were problems with the way it was set up then to come to him and they would take a look at it and try and fix it. Wednesday went to him with the issues I had and he said " I don't have time for that, that is so and so problem go talk to them". Needless to say I am done and will follow as closely to 100% as possible. Thursday and Friday both 20 miles over what Orion said I should have ran but above 98% both days.

Pkgcar1988

Went live on Orion just before peak, then told didn't have to use during peak,wtf. If Orion is so great why abandon it for a month and a half. Oh maybe because we would have never been able to get half the work done by following it with pkg cars jammed full of pkgs and looking for pkgs on 8000 shelf at 10:00 A.M!!! Now back to the same old crap of at least 85% compliance.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Other than the fact that you just made it easy for anybody to find where you work, that list doesn't look any different than any other route using ORION.

look at the shelf positions of the work to be delivered genius... I think you will understand what he is trying to demonstrate. ....

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
"OUR" jobs are not to FIX ORION, our jobs are to comply with the requests of the company to run it the way its presented. If "WE" help them fix ORION to the point where it actually works, then in 5 years you will have replaced yourself!

This isnt about mileage savings, its about 5 years from now and the next contract. IF you dummies attempt to help them fix ORION to the point where your route can be run effectively, what do they need you for? Any idiot could then run the route.

Let the company fix its own problems.

Run ORION the way it comes out. If it takes you 4 extra hours and 20 extra miles, then sobeit. If they ask you to come to them to fix things, REFUSE. You are not an engineer, let them figure it out for themselves.

Just like telematics was going to be used just for safety when it came out, and then it turned into a warning letter circus, ORION and the new article 6 language will be used to discipline each and every one of you drivers who dont comply with it.

"any intention act" that defrauds the company....

NOT following ORION can be considered "an intentional act".

Production discipline will go through the roof once this new contract is fully ratified. All we have to do is wait for it to happen.

Good luck drivers.

TOS.

Mack Grant

View attachment 10946
Just an example of orion
My question is what are you supposed to do when you can't find the package in your 4000 shelf at 10 am that Orion is telling you to deliver? We have a big problem with off areas and load quality where I am so if you spend 5 minutes tripping over everything for the package that's not where it should be but find it later does this impact the "compliance" metric? Just wondering because I don't want to be receiving discipline when I find that 4000 in my 8000 shelf later in the day.

Pkgcar1988

Yes that will affect your compliance, but if you explain what happened they will factor that in when they try to discipline you,lol!!!

Pkgcar1988

Was told by sup that if we are over the projected miles because we ran a misload then we need to keep track of that in case anyone says anything to us. Asked him if they couldn't figure that out themselves and he said yes but would be easier if we just kept track and let them know,REALLY!!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You are correct, and this is the biggest fundamental flaw of ORION. Someplace in some cubical in Atlanta, these jackholes came up with this software using an imaginary route where everything is lip loaded on the shelves, and the floor clear of packages. NO bulk loads clogging the isles from front to rear, to large or oversized packages preventing the safe passage of the driver front the bulkhead door to shelf 8.

In this imaginary package car, everything is accessible.

In the real world, we all know that UPS crams as much crap into the trucks as possible. The isle completely blocked from side to side and front to back. In the real world, we STEP on packages just to get to others. In the real world, we would never attempt to make a stop in the morning and grab a package off of shelf 8 while the isle is destroyed by bulk.

In ORIONS world, they dont considered these factors until they are proven to be a problem on the route. Send agains are increasing, go backs and do-overs are increasing.

There is no savings from ORION, just delays and extension of days.

Maybe ORION works in some rural hub with outlying areas not affected by large bulk stops, but it doesnt work in a large metro area. I especially like how it directs us to attempt deliveries to stops "WE" know are closed until 11 am or 12 pm, and then puts us into a go back position later in the day that puts us behind.

The program will ultimately fail as does every other program UPS introduces.

TOS.

Pkgcar1988

The person who trained me on it in November said that "sometimes" you have to make judgement calls on certain things throughout the day but still needed to be 85% compliant. I thought I was doing that but only obtaining roughly 83% not good enough they said. I have never beaten the projected miles always over by 3-5 miles, even when they were riding with me. Now I follow it 90% or better over by 20 miles.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm not on the system yet, but it seems to me, if you follow it, you will do less work and more driving. If folks would grieve 9.5's, it could be a win-win. Less stops-more money (via 9.5 fines).

Thanks other side. I am following it around 98%. I generally worked about 8.5 to 9 hours before orion. I finished this week with 54 hours. Our center is set at 90%. Patience is the only thing that keeps me sane during the transition at ups. I'm having to throw away 20 years of perfected methods and starting over.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm guessing that if someone really wanted to meet the ORION metric of 85% or more there would be some tradeoffs with other metrics. Specifically backing exceptions. From what I've heard about ORION it would require quite the amount of extra backing to be able to get to the next stop. So, I can double my backing and bust other metrics that used to be a big deal as long as I meet the 85% metric?