Orion delivery system

Gadfly

UPS is installing the Orion delivery system here. Any experience with it? One thing I have noticed about the system is it gives us visibility of time study information. The system shows the exact delivery time they expect for each stop. The company expects us to follow their plan and yet the plans as constructed don't incorporate break times. My plan shows me working straight through until lunch. And no break in the afternoon. They tell me to take my break but no time provision for it. The same is true of other orion route plans in our center. I don't believe the company can do this. It may actually be illegal. Any thoughts?

jaker

trolling
UPS is installing the Orion delivery system here. Any experience with it? One thing I have noticed about the system is it gives us visibility of time study information. The system shows the exact delivery time they expect for each stop. The company expects us to follow their plan and yet the plans as constructed don't incorporate break times. My plan shows me working straight through until lunch. And no break in the afternoon. They tell me to take my break but no time provision for it. The same is true of other orion route plans in our center. I don't believe the company can do this. It may actually be illegal. Any thoughts?
What is this Orion that you speak of , what does it do and how is it supposed to work

i have been driving for 10 years and I just go out and drive aimlessly around throwing boxes out the door . Will Orion keep me from doing this anymore

porkwagon

What is this Orion that you speak of , what does it do and how is it supposed to work

i have been driving for 10 years and I just go out and drive aimlessly around throwing boxes out the door . Will Orion keep me from doing this anymore

Why no, it will not. It will enhance you and others into the art of driving aimlessly! HA!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They can forget about it working and one of the main reasons not being discussed is because of the loaders, they absolutely suck. Their not trained right and have everything jammed down their throat to finish in just a couple hours. In our center there might be maybe 10 good loaders in the whole center and that's pushing it. The pal labels take the commonsense and decision making of having to make adjustments to load all morning out of the equation. That's why they suck cause their not taught to use commonsense they say to load it by pal. Funny thing is all the loaders who are good loaders are the old school loaders who have been loading trucks for years. 2 of the best loaders in the building are women also(PROPS TO THE LADIES) LOL. BUT STUPPOSEDLY THE TRUCKS ARE LOADED STOP FOR STOP AND THE TOOTH FAIRY, SANTA CLAUS, BIGFOOT AND GODZILLA ARE REALLY REAL TOO.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They can forget about it working and one of the main reasons not being discussed is because of the loaders, they absolutely suck. Their not trained right and have everything jammed down their throat to finish in just a couple hours. In our center there might be maybe 10 good loaders in the whole center and that's pushing it. The pal labels take the commonsense and decision making of having to make adjustments to load all morning out of the equation. That's why they suck cause their not taught to use commonsense they say to load it by pal. Funny thing is all the loaders who are good loaders are the old school loaders who have been loading trucks for years. 2 of the best loaders in the building are women also(PROPS TO THE LADIES) LOL. BUT STUPPOSEDLY THE TRUCKS ARE LOADED STOP FOR STOP AND THE TOOTH FAIRY, SANTA CLAUS, BIGFOOT AND GODZILLA ARE REALLY REAL TOO.
agreed...they're not taught to think....just shovel it in and let the drivers deal with it. And that's total BS. Good loaders learn the routes, and adjust the load the way the drivers want, and in a way that makes sense, including, loading the floor packages in order.

jaker

trolling
agreed...they're not taught to think....just shovel it in and let the drivers deal with it. And that's total BS. Good loaders learn the routes, and adjust the load the way the drivers want, and in a way that makes sense, including, loading the floor packages in order.
Doesn't that sound like Orion is doing to us

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Exactly BB and that's precisely why I reload my whole truck every morning. Im not playing that game searching all day like an idiot for packages and making the job way harder than it really needs to be. Besides the dol and dispatch and load being complete garbage every every single day.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
A billion dollar failure. They'll keep on pushing that square peg into a round hole, praying for results. All they'll really get is CMs gaming the system. Allowing drivers with broken solutions to carry on with RDO, while drivers with good solutions pull them up. The center gets graded on the curve, and as long as it gets close to that holy 85% compliance metric, the powers that be look the other way.

Meanwhile, your on-car's wife will be looking into buying health insurance. Your preloader will be seriously considering value-sizing his BigMac meal with his peanut raise. And you? You will be trying to figure out how, you, a vehicle, and some cardboard boxes are worth $37 an hour.

If you couldn't tell, I'm not a fan of ORION.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm surprised it lasted that long. These things started messing up in a big way within 6 months of getting them.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Still love my 7.3. The truck is falling apart around it though.
My favorite was a 2002 duramax. Quiet and great gas mileage, lol

No direct contact with them, but I haven't heard anything significantly bad about them. The 7.3 is a solid dumb diesel. It runs good until it doesn't. Had a major fail with one the other day where the head gasket let go and it pushed all the coolant out. That seems to be a weak area with them. Do not let them get hot.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
No direct contact with them, but I haven't heard anything significantly bad about them. The 7.3 is a solid dumb diesel. It runs good until it doesn't. Had a major fail with one the other day where the head gasket let go and it pushed all the coolant out. That seems to be a weak area with them. Do not let them get hot.
Earlier duramax had some injector & head gasket issues. Loved the truck but that got old.