ORION discipline

I actually like Orion.. especially when you understand it. At first I thought the program was really stupid because you'd drive by a house, deliver one down the road, and then come back up and have to deliver to the house you just passed from the opposite side of the road. I realized that the program does that on purpose so that you know the direction that it wants you to take without having a GPS to know the fastest route.. It always has a "break" point where it wants you to start working your way to your pickups.. I will usually just take the 30min required DOT lunch so that I can beat that break, finish the neighborhood, and then I'll take my last 30min some where close to my last pickup. I'm always 3 miles under on a tight 44 mile Loop. I am new however, so maybe I'm not just "stuck in my ways" ;)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Who cares, i would like to be done by the time it says I should be too, and I would jump through hoops to do it. On some routes it works I hear, on others it is mass destruction, and I am over on miles every day. The only time I met them was on an 8 hr request day, where the route actually had the stops it should have. On that day it flowed like a river.

By The Book

When I had an Orion rider with me a few years ago, I was still a utility driver and was doing a route that I didn't know well so following EDD was much more logical. I showed him the errors and why following EDD made more sense. He didn't have an argument for me so we did it my way. The ride was pretty much useless.
I totally get the intent of your post. My numbers still show at least 80% trace followed and most of the time I come in under miles allowed so they don't really bother me about it.
You got it down. I bet you can page down thru your list in Orion now and tell if its screwed up or not so screwed up. I've had my route for 6 years and can visualize the path by using page down. But they still try to speed you up on area to get you to not come back to areas. If I follow their plan and take a lunch when they say I find I'm over miles every time. The pick up loop is not in my board right and I have an air drop at my last in town pick up which they either have me too early or usually too late at. It changes daily so I've sure driven the route a lot of different ways. I'm usually about 85 to 95% in trace and on average underlies for the week.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's really not that bad. Use it, break to make service on air, use it, break for pickups, use it, break for 5'oclock business. Use it on the rest and you should be fine on your trace percentage. I know it was all getting done before without a hitch but you can make it worse for yourself if you dictate terms on this one.
I "dictate terms" on this one because following ORION would run me out of fuel at 10:00 at night with missed stops and pickups, which would probably make it worse for me than just being a professional and getting the route done in a safe and efficient manner like I have been doing for the last 27 years.

By The Book

I "dictate terms" on this one because following ORION would run me out of fuel at 10:00 at night with missed stops and pickups, which would probably make it worse for me than just being a professional and getting the route done in a safe and efficient manner like I have been doing for the last 27 years.
I think I asked you before if you were on a high mileage route. You also must not be able to gas up earlier on the day. You make the call and it works for your situation.

laststop

Down the same street more than once every day since the Orion team has come and gone if they don't care why keep telling them it's the new way back in driveway k turn left turns ground in am air savers end of day .when u pick up pass up stops down dead end street 3times u can't fight big brown just work as instructed run 98%orion then get on 9.5list make more money and have less stops no stress who cares just work as instructed but be safe this is why all the a shares being sold by drivers &?

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
i like getting paid to ride around,getting paid for doing less and the icing on the cake is watching the operation supes stressed to the point of tears every morning. My life is stress free,I couldnt be happier and I wish we'd have had ORION and telematics in place 25 years ago

By The Book

i like getting paid to ride around,getting paid for doing less and the icing on the cake is watching the operation supes stressed to the point of tears every morning. My life is stress free,I couldnt be happier and I wish we'd have had ORION and telematics in place 25 years ago
What was the first center to go live with Orion? These drivers would/could have more feedback on how they've used this as a disciplinary tool against the drivers. From what I've read some centers are firm on it and some say turn it off if it makes sense to you.