ORION is creating its own "METRICS MONSTERS" and the DM's are unhappy?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Now that ORION is being forced upon us at the center levels, we have to use it. Ok.

I have it back on my truck for instance despite the engineer attempting to make it work three separate times and failing. Now, the company has insisted that I follow ORION and I am doing just that along with my fellow drivers. (90 of them)

At the end of the day, I am running 98.660% on trace using ORION.

I am now 3 hours in the hole everyday. I am averaging 11.5 hours paid day and 9 to 13 miles over plan everyday. My backing frequency has increased by almost DOUBLE and I average 65 backing incidents a day on ORION.

All of a sudden, the DM wants to know what is happening. The manager comes to ask, and I tell him to read his reports. I am following trace, and doing the route the way ORION tells me to do it. I tell him that if they dont like it, too bad, i am performing the job the way i am being instructed by their device.

Its the same way for all the other drivers as well. Paid days are exceeding 13 hours on some routes.

But now, we got a bigger problem. BACKING is going through the roof and the division is unhappy about it. Its so big a problem, they are starting a campaign to cut backing.

ONE PROBLEM. ORION.

This stupid program is forcing us to "flip a b*tch" in the middle of residential streets all day in every section we have. There is no way around that. We could drive clear around an entire neighborhood to avoid the back, but that adds more miles.

We could break trace and avoid the back, but then we have to listen the next day to "you broke trace, why?"

Secondly, ORION is driving up the OVERALLOWED on WOR.

Now, because the days are unnecessarily extended by ORION, the overallowed is killing the center production numbers.

For me, I could do the route the way I have for 25 years, be in by 7pm and run 59 to 61 miles consistently and be 1 hour in the hole.

Now, I punch out at 840pm, run 70 to 75 miles and fall near 3 hours in the hole.

My sup rode with me, and I followed trace to the letter and we were 3.51 in the hole and 14 miles over.

Third, SPORH is reducing. Because there is so much windshield time using ORION, our SPORH is dropping faster than ever. We are doing less per hour with all the zig zagging from section to section and driving in circles.

These are the monsters that ORION is creating and the company at the center level hasnt the first clue how to address them without shutting ORION off.

Everyday, the center posts the ORION recap on the board and we all laugh as our percentage of trace by individual is in the 90's and the mileage OVER plan by 158 miles a day as a center or 3000 miles a month more than before.

ORION is not helping the company, its creating a syndrome of failure we can only sit back and comply with.

TOS.

Griff

You don't have to follow management instruction if it's unsafe, illegal or immoral. I refuse to follow Orion based upon its programming to back into residential driveways. I'm told to stay out of residential driveways and that's exactly what I do. Not only does it increase backing, it does NOT recognize one way streets or traffic patterns. It also has you delivering to pickup accounts as you pick them up later in the day, this is not how I was trained to do the job.

Funny thing about the "ORION team" morons is they all beat the drum about how it's a proven system that has demonstrated the saving of miles. What they won't include with that statement is the stone fact that 99.9% of these "saved miles" is the to and from area mileage. They want you to take a direct route on a map over an efficient and fast way to area. On my route, i lost 8 miles combined to and from area but increased my to and from travel time by 15 minutes each way. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Thus the reason why computer nerds and cubicle dwellers should keep telling me how to deliver a cardboard box more "efficiently". $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sent using BrownCafe App

laststop

Now that ORION is being forced upon us at the center levels, we have to use it. Ok.

I have it back on my truck for instance despite the engineer attempting to make it work three separate times and failing. Now, the company has insisted that I follow ORION and I am doing just that along with my fellow drivers. (90 of them)

I am now 3 hours in the hole everyday. I am averaging 11.5 hours paid day and 9 to 13 miles over plan everyday. My backing frequency has increased by almost DOUBLE and I average 65 backing incidents a day on ORION.

All of a sudden, the DM wants to know what is happening. The manager comes to ask, and I tell him to read his reports. I am following trace, and doing the route the way ORION tells me to do it. I tell him that if they dont like it, too bad, i am performing the job the way i am being instructed by their device.

Its the same way for all the other drivers as well. Paid days are exceeding 13 hours on some routes.

But now, we got a bigger problem. BACKING is going through the roof and the division is unhappy about it. Its so big a problem, they are starting a campaign to cut backing.

ONE PROBLEM. ORION.

This stupid program is forcing us to "flip a b*tch" in the middle of residential streets all day in every section we have. There is no way around that. We could drive clear around an entire neighborhood to avoid the back, but that adds more miles.

We could break trace and avoid the back, but then we have to listen the next day to "you broke trace, why?"

Now, because the days are unnecessarily extended by ORION, the overallowed is killing the center production numbers.

For me, I could do the route the way I have for 25 years, be in by 7pm and run 59 to 61 miles consistently and be 1 hour in the hole.

Now, I punch out at 840pm, run 70 to 75 miles and fall near 3 hours in the hole.

My sup rode with me, and I followed trace to the letter and we were 3.51 in the hole and 14 miles over.

Third, SPORH is reducing. Because there is so much windshield time using ORION, our SPORH is dropping faster than ever. We are doing less per hour with all the zig zagging from section to section and driving in circles.

These are the monsters that ORION is creating and the company at the center level hasnt the first clue how to address them without shutting ORION off.

Everyday, the center posts the ORION recap on the board and we all laugh as our percentage of trace by individual is in the 90's and the mileage OVER plan by 158 miles a day as a center or 3000 miles a month more than before.

ORION is not helping the company, its creating a syndrome of failure we can only sit back and comply with.

TOS.
The good thing about Orion if you follow it 98% Orion will pay you over 98000$ plus don't Argue just take the check to the bank.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Had a OR ride with me about my lack of orion compliance. Got was totally bulked out. Did an air and Orion told me to do another stop on the same road, no problem it was in my 8300 area. Stopped in front of the stop went to back of car opened the door. Began to offload the bulk. Supervisor was watching me, I thought he was going to die. I said do you want me to follow it our not?

Coldworld

60 months and counting

TOS.[/quote]
Numbers can be manipulated in many ways and this company are masters of manipulation. Let them do what they want, if want to run this company into the ground then oh well....they're going to blame us anyway for the backs, the extra miles and the overallowed...whatever we'll all ride this bitch into the ground

ONE PROBLEM. ORION.

TOS.
What's the problem? It's their bed let the lie in it. Go in run their crap system and just laugh about it. I used to be a 100% trace driver until I was instructed to stop. So then I ran it my way a dig was even more friend*ed up. Let's play games.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
There are loopholes in orion that you can use. Orion likes to bounce around but if your next stop is 123 main st you can deliver any main st before without it counting as a break, that helps if you have heavy business streets. Also you can skip sections and use little arrow to hold place and no matter how many stops you skip it only counts as one break. Ill skip residentials to get my business off, orion thinks industrial hwy business should be delivered at 1800 even the ones with 1600 pick ups lol.
I've noticed that orion also wants you to walk across the street a lot, I'll set up a neighborhood to get me parked in front of the stop and orion will have me do it the opposit way!

Sent using BrownCafe App

30yearstolife

Once the ORION team has moved on, the center team has the ability to "tweak" ORION so that it follows regular EDD/RDO almost exactly. The only way to make this happen on your particular route is to allow ORION to fail everyday, for months. Don't back into resi driveways even if it costs you 4 miles to turn around. Follow ORION 95%+ and break off to avoid all service failures. It took a year on my route, but now I no longer have to dig for packages. If you don't allow ORION to fail you will be stuck with it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its really a lot easier, safer, and less stressful to just turn ORION off and run the route according to common sense.

Yes, your management team might bitch and whine about your failure to generate a meaningless number on a meaningless report...but its a lot easier to tune out their whining than it is to fight bulk, crawl over boxes to find buried stops or spend all day backing into residential driveways.

ORION is a scam. It works great with a perfect load on a sunny day in Clarksville, but if your route is in the REAL world it is useless garbage.

35yrwstpadriver

Pittsburgh Brown

ONE PROBLEM. ORION.

TOS.

35yrwstpadriver

Pittsburgh Brown
"the other side", I sympathize with you issues regarding ORION. We don't have that here in PGH yet. But, the job has been for a long time to just do whatever they tell us to do as long as it's not illegal, unsafe, or against the CBA. The job is to work like a robot. Without any emotion. If you are unhappy about being forced to work over 9.5 hours a day(which means 10.5 hours on the clock) then exercise your rights by getting on the "list" that some idiot teamster negotiator decided would be a good idea, and then eventually file a grievance against mgmt. After harassment from management for everything from your shoes not being polished to your undershirt not being white or brown, or having a logo on it, you might get an adjustment on your dispatch.

Future

Victory Ride
Its really a lot easier, safer, and less stressful to just turn ORION off and run the route according to common sense.

Yes, your management team might bitch and whine about your failure to generate a meaningless number on a meaningless report...but its a lot easier to tune out their whining than it is to fight bulk, crawl over boxes to find buried stops or spend all day backing into residential driveways.

ORION is a scam. It works great with a perfect load on a sunny day in Clarksville, but if your route is in the REAL world it is useless garbage.
AHhhhhh Clarkville! Where men r men, women r men and the sheep run scared!

kingOFchester

Orion is your friend. I follow Orion 95% -100%. I strive to get 100%, but do to safety I have to break off a stop or two. I do not back because of Orion. I drive around the block regardless of the distance or time. Numerous times a day I will drive down streets three times or more. (The look on the face of people doing yard work is priceless as they watch me drive down their street 4 times in 5 minutes.) I am making a ton of money doing less work.

I have decided to embrace the windfall of easy money. Windshield time is way better then leg time.

If the hours get to be to much for me, I will simply join the 9.5 list. My stop count would have to drop even more. But for now, I will soak up the easy money. And we are talking about over a grand extra every month for less work. My body says thank you, and my wallet is getting thicker. Oh, and what does my sup say about me following Orion and getting paid more for doing less??? I get recognized with a pair of socks for being Orion compliant.

Last edited:

ups1990

ORION does save miles on paper and so it's on paper that UPS can show investors and the public that we are essentially saving money and driver miles and going green at the same time.